UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Oohh Errr

Amaranth

It is now 6 days and 23 minutes until Merlyn and I have our first competition :unsure:

We had training both days this weekend (one more session next Saturday) and Merlyn and I varied between awful and downright stupid, why did I think competitive Agility was a good thing? I am therefore looking for excuses...

Excuses so far from Oxfordshire Chicken:

1) We have to be there at 8am, I'm never going to get the family plus only one of the dogs out of the door at 6am on a Sunday morning.

2) Dunno where Wootton Bassett is apart from "Near Swindon".

3) The Dog is too fat, despite swopping him to a lower fat food and once tired he cheats and goes under the jumps he doesn't knock down.

4) The owner is too fat, I'll probably step on the poor obese chap and squish him.

5) I don't know what to wear.

6) I'll forget the course.

7) I won't be able to animate Merlyn without a toy.

8) I'm scared and he'll know it and just want to kiss me rather than jump stuff. :wub:

9) (This is the best one - and true) I have to go into Hospital for an Operation on Monday on my jaw and I am supposed to call the Ward at 11am to ensure that a bed is available for my admission on Sunday.

10) Running orders 34, 34 and 66 ...Ehh????

11) Weaving is still a walkthrough follow the hand affair - is this allowed?

Edited by Amaranth

1) We have to be there at 8am, I'm never going to get the family plus only one of the dogs out of the door at 6am on a Sunday morning.

You will be fine, do as much preparing as you can the night before, and get plenty of sleep if you can. There should be an exercise area at the venue so just give Merlyn a quick walk (pee/poo) before you set off and have a relaxing amble around once you get there.

2) Dunno where Wootton Bassett is apart from "Near Swindon".

I always rely on The AA route finder :biggrin:

3) The Dog is too fat, despite swopping him to a lower fat food and once tired he cheats and goes under the jumps he doesn't knock down.

3 runs in a day is much less work than an hours training, so hopefully this shouldn't be a problem, also he will hopefully be on a bit of a buzz from the atmosphere.

4) The owner is too fat, I'll probably step on the poor obese chap and squish him.

Of course you won't :GroupHug: Agility is a great help at getting you both fitter :flowers:

5) I don't know what to wear.

What do you normally wear to train? At a winter show I wear tracksuit bottoms (maybe with longjohns depending on the temp, plenty of thin layers on top (usually a t-shirt, thin fleece and thick fleece) and take an extra coat in case. Everyone will be casual, don't worry. Take an extra pair of socks incase, I always change my socks before I drive home :laugh: Don't forget your agility shoes!

6) I'll forget the course.

Walk the course first of all just looking at the numbers, don't think about your handling at all. Never presume the next jump i line will be the next one to do, always check the number (although it probably will be at elementary/starter level). Once you are sure where each jump is, walk the course and think about where the dog will be and what he can see (e.g does he come out of the tunnel and see the a-frame, but really he needs to do the jump to the left), and think about how you will get his attention on you. Next think about where you will need to be in relation to the dog and the obstacles in order to get around successfully. Then walk it again putting all the above together. It may be a bit busy when the course is first available for walking, I always wait until the first big rush has gone before I walk the course. If there is a tricky bit on the course, people might gather there quite inconsiderately :rolleyes: and discuss what they will do. Just ignore them and do your best to walk the course, then go back when they have moved. When you are aout to run (maybe as the 2 dogs in front are running), look at the course, remember what you need to do at each bit and replay it in your mind. If you have walked it thoroughly, it should come naturally as you go round.

7) I won't be able to animate Merlyn without a toy.

You can use the toy in the queue to motivate him if you like, just leave it with your collar/lead when you go in.

8) I'm scared and he'll know it and just want to kiss me rather than jump stuff. :wub:

Aww i'm sure once you get there, relax and drink in the atmosphere you won't be too scared. In the queue and on the line, take deep breaths and focus on what you need to do on the course.

9) (This is the best one - and true) I have to go into Hospital for an Operation on Monday on my jaw and I am supposed to call the Ward at 11am to ensure that a bed is available for my admission on Sunday

Take the number with you and call from the show - there is PLENTY of waiting around time at shows :wink:

10) Running orders 34, 34 and 66 ...Ehh????

That means you are running 34th in 2 classes and 66th in another. If you allow 1 minute per dog in the class, you need to be thinking about running about half an hour into 2 classes and an hour into the 3rd, but that is by no means an exact science. There should be some indication of class size on the running orders (like entry - 100) - which tells you how many dogs are in the class. Listen out for officials announcing how the classes are moving along, either by tannoy or verbally shouting! When you to join the queue, find the 'caller in' (with a clip board) and tell her your running order and he/she will book you in.

11) Weaving is still a walkthrough follow the hand affair - is this allowed?

As long as you have no food in your hand, that is fine. Don't be tempted to rush anything just because it's a show, make sure you are consistent with how you have trained on your contacts and weaves.

Is anyone from your club going, they will be glad to help you find your feet i'm sure?

Take some lunch and a hot drink, or check the schedule for catering facilities. I always take a book/magazine too.

Hope this helps - you will have a great time!

Nicola

Don't worry, you'll be fine! I think this everytime i am about to go to a competition and everytime i get there i enjoy it. I don't know what kind of show you are entering, but i hav found that anything goes really. When i first started with meg i expected everyone to be really good, but actually (and this sounds awful) some dogs (usually non collies) just legged it out the ring after one jump!

Can't really help you with points 1-4 however,

5) wear something comfortable, i just wear jeans and t-shirt (and jumper if cold. ) and astroturf trainers. Take a change of clothes in case its raining, discovered this at my first show, socks totally socked through all the way home - erugh!)

6) The good thing about competing is that you get to walk the course as many times as you can before you start. I usually go round once just working out the course and then a couple more times working out how i am going to run it. THen before i go in i watch a few competitors and just refresh my memory. Trust me my memory is awful so if i can manage it - you can!

7) If you really think that its going to be an issue you could enter NFC and use the toy, its better to start off with getting the dog happy to work in a ring away from training with a toy if you think the dog is going to have problems. You won't be able to get placed, but at least you know that you are one step closer to properly working!

8) are you kidding, hes a collie - he'll love jumping!!

9) take mobile phone with hospital number stored and phone from there?

10) at the uka shows i've entered they don't really worry about running orders you just line ujp and go. Haven't done any kc ones, but i'm told that you just line up when your number is called. At least your not first!!

11) absolutely, many dogs still need a hand through the weaves, as long as you aren't using food or toys in your hands (unless nfc). As long as the dog completes the weaves, entering on the right side i don't think it matters how you get him to do it!

Trust me, its nerve racking, but fun. The beginners classes are always quite relaxed and nobody seems to stand there judging you. (well apart from the judge!) But don't forget everyones got to start somewhere! Last year i ran my springer and retriever for the first time (both started training in April and first comp in august/sept (I think) THey weren't exactly the best agilty dogs, but we went in to have fun (NFC) and they surprised me by at least trying to complete a round, i thought they'd just run off!

We want to see pics when you've been!!

He he, kirisox it looks like great minds think alike, we posted at the same time!!

One big bit of advice I'd like to give is REMEMBER TO BREATH this seems to be the one thing we forget what with remembering the course, giving directions to the dog and trying to smile.

Also don't go before the starter says 'when you're ready'.

I'm sure you'll do fine. I think the important reason is to remember why you started doing agility - I'm guessing it was to have some fun with your dog. Even if he legs it straight out the ring to the burger van, I bet he'll be having fun anyway :)

Three years after starting training, I'm still working up to actually entering a competition - I'm not sure if I'll ever do it with Morse (too many issues), which means Sophie had better be good at agility...

Flippin heck, reading this thread is making me feel nervous :unsure:

Good luck though - I'm sure you'll do great!!! Just leave with plenty of time in the morning, so that you aren't rushing to get there - I remember once we were on our way to a flyball show and mum was driving. She was on a speed awareness kick at the time, and didn't know that when I told her it'd take an hour and a bit to get there, that was driving at 80mph, not 60mph :ninja:

Another time, we got lost in the fog and I was supposed to be navigating - we pulled up in the car park, were told that we were in the ring then. Quickly parked, harnessed up dogs and ran into the ring. Unfortunately for them, the other team had gone outside to wait, and then we were waiting for them. They didn't show up, so the race was awarded to us :ohmy: :laugh:

You'll be fine Aly and I know that Merlyn will do you proud.

If you don't get anywhere, it certainly won't be through lack of trying as I for one, know how many hours in the day you are putting into this.

The main thing is to enjoy it! :)

Come on Merlyn!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: