UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

When Do Dogs Stop Growing

owl

I know what the theory is, but both my puli males went on growing after they had turned 2. Current pointer x youngster still seems to be growing, at somewhere between 18 months and 2.

Does anyone else have any late developers?

Edited by owl

I don't think Staffies are fully grown until 3, physically anyway, Louie ( bridge GSD) wasn't really fully developed until about 4, but he was a very big boy. I think a lot of breeds get their full height quite young but don't put on any bulk untill a lot older.

We were just saying the other day that George didn't attain his full stature until he was in his 3rd year.

I think with some the first 2 years are the growing bit and the 3rd year is the one that they start filling out :worried_anim:

I think that is a good generalisation. Males seem to take longer to reach full height,weight than bitches. Big breeds seem to take longer to mature mentally as well as physically x

I have two Spins, brother and sister. They are 4 at the beginning of Feb. Flo hasn't grown in height or weight for some time - maybe 18 months, maybe more. Como is huge and is still filling out. He had a growth spurt in height earlier last year and is 4 - 6 inches taller than Flo and around 14 lbs heavier, maybe more.

In terms of maturity, Flo hs been "grown up" since we got her, not sure Como will ever grow up!! :laughingsmiley: :laughingsmiley:

I think that is a good generalisation. Males seem to take longer to reach full height,weight than bitches. Big breeds seem to take longer to mature mentally as well as physically x

You're not wrong there. Andrew and I encountered a collie and her owner, Oscar was overjoyed and bouncing around, as is customary when he sees another dog. The collie owner asked how old my puppy was, to which I had to answer, four!