UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Hazell is ranting and raving about it :biglaugh: He was looking forward to consuming Forrest in the near future :biglaugh:

Forrests big day is on Saturday. He's coming to work with me :wacko: Di has very kindly offered to collect him from there. I dread to think what he'll think of my shop :laugh:

He's doing brilliantly. Chaz is totally ignoring him so that's fine so farlaugh.gif

Forrest went absolutely bonkers with joy when we threw some bread into the run tonight to get all the stragglers to bed! He was already in the chicken run but legged it as fast as his long legs would carry him to make sure he got his share.

He's living with:

1 Blue Orpington cockerel (Chaz)

2 Black Orpington hens (Whoopi & Bertha)

1 Splash Orpington,poss bantam, hen (Silva)

1 Buff Orpington hen (Buffy)

1 Blue Cochin hen

1 Buff Sussex hen

1 Light Sussex hen

1 Silver Sussex hen (Bess)

2 Buff Sussex bantam hens (French & Saunders)

1 Speckled Sussex hen (Martha)

1 Gold Laced Wyandotte hen (Spangles)

I Barnevelder hen (Posh)

1 Cuckoo Maran hen

1 Welsummer Hen )

1 Cream Legbar hen) The Partridge family (lol:)

1 Red/Black Pekin bantam (Bissell)

2 Silver Laced Wyandotte bantam hens

1 New England (or New Hampshire, can't remember which) bantam hen

2 Leyman Brown hens

2 black tailed brown hens

2 other brown hens

4 black rock hens

2 White Star hens

1 Amber star hen

1 Bluebell hen

2 Poland bantam hens

That's plenty of hens for 2 cockerels so hopefully he'll be a happy boy.

plus we have 6 chicks of mixed parentage who are about 4 weeks old and a load of eggs in the incubator. rolleyes.gif

Good lord !, is there a partridge in a pear tree too laugh.gif thats some roll call, and yes, I am a bit jealous rolleyes.gif

Happy new life Forrest wub.gif

biglaugh.gif That list is as much for me as for anyone else. I struggle to remember what I've got here, especially when I'm checking that they're all in at night.

Forrest continues to make good progress and was out with the others in the rain this morning, digging for bugs and stuff in the paddocks. He seems pretty content considering the things that have happened to him in the last few days. He's a very handsome boywub_anim.gif

biglaugh.gif That list is as much for me as for anyone else. I struggle to remember what I've got here, especially when I'm checking that they're all in at night.

I now have a mental image of you doing a school assembly style name check......." Chaz !" "here Miss" "Buffy !" " here miss" " Forrest !".........." Forrest !!!" " Ooo, sorry, do you mean me ?....yup, as is here Missus" :laugh:

A sad day today because my Light Sussex hen diedmecry.gif She was lovely but hadn't been looking well for the last 3 days and despite me getting ab's from the vet, I couldn't save her. Forrest had decided she was the love of his life and has been guarding her for the last 3 days so it was especially sad althoug he does have his own fan club, which is totally separate to Chaz's fan club so I think he'll be okcool.gif

If my incy eggs hatch I may have to swop one or a pair for a Light Sussex hen just for Forrestwub.gif

Just candled my incy eggs. Quite a few fertile and live ones, a few I'm not sure about toolaugh.gif I'll give them a little while longer and check again before i remove any. Need to increase the humidity in the incy now that I've worked out how it works! This incy is challenging me although mostly because the instructions are in quasi English-Koreanrolleyes.gif

I'm sorry to hear you lost your LS girl, poor Forrest too to have lost his wife so soon. I'm glad he's got a hareem forming already :wub:

As predicted, most of my eggs were wrecked by the power cut. One lone warrior hatched on Wednesday and I helped out a straggler yesterday morning. It had been trying to hatch since Tuesday so I knew it's chances were slim. Despite my best efforts she died this afternoon :mecry:

I was fairly sure Sausage (Georgia named it!) would be left to grow up alone, and it'd been quite hysterical on Thursday night when I put it in the brooder on it's own so I knew I had to buy it some friends. A lovely lady called Luci at The Birdhaus near Brackley was happy to sell me some of her chicks. So yesterday morning we drove over there and came home with four beautiful babies. They're a couple of days older than Sausage but immediately he chilled out when they went in with him :wub:

Our little Sausage:

DSC05056-2.jpg

Hobnob the frizzle Pekin:

DSC05055-2.jpg

Custard the black mottled Pekin:

DSC05050-2.jpg

Daisy has burdoned this black silkie with the name Nymphadora :huh:

DSC05051-2.jpg

And an as yet un-named blue frizzle Silkie:

DSC05046-2.jpg