UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always read this thread and get a lot of enjoyment out of it, even though I've no chicks and probably never will have while we have Dylan :rolleyes: I don't post cos I can't add anything.

But I really want to say how much I admire your appraoch Cheryl :flowers: :flowers: This is how food production shoud be to my mind, small scale, careful and kind. You've done a very difficult thing and I hope that if I am ever in that situation I can handle it as well as you have :flowers:

We did it! We've just finished gutting him. It was a joint effort, Mr Hazell chose to do more work than I did. I was in charge of turning the pages :laugh: And I made a few cuts here and there. We are both absolutely chuffed to bits with him. He's a bit rustic looking but he's ours :wub: Dressed he weighs in at a magnificent 796g :rolleyes: He's going to be our roast dinner tomorrow, with lots of vegetables to fill us up! I'm glad now though that I'm taking a more measured approach to hatching, keeping in mind the fact that the majority of these boys are dinners so they have to be substantial. Never again would I hatch Leghorns. Forrest Gump is a Light Sussex and he towers over the ladies already. I hope he fills out his massive frame over the next few weeks but I know already he's going to make one heck of a meal.

We got the Aras & Silkies out from the garage for a bit this morning for a bit of a photo session. Will do the Orps, Dorkings & Poland tomorrow :biggrin:

I know both breeds are really hard to sex but after seeing this picture I'd say I might have one of each Ara. What do you think?

DSC04473.jpg

Here's the one on the right on it's own

DSC04471.jpg

And the left one who has always been my favourite of the two because it's head always looked squashed :laugh:

DSC04467.jpg

DSC04466.jpg

DSC04463.jpg

The Silkies are both blooming ugly :laugh:

DSC04456.jpg

One seems to be sporting a mohican while the other still just has fluff

DSC04487.jpg

DSC04482.jpg

I love my babies lots :wub:

This afternoon I've shifted them all out of the garage and they're now on the grass. They're not fully feathered yet but they'll not get cold in this weather!

If you thought the Silkies yesterday were ugly, brace yourself for this monstrosity......

Is it a baby blue Orp or a baby turkey???????

DSC04503.jpg

He's called Dino, which is short for dinosaur because I swear he's part dinosaur!

His partner in crime, a slightly more feathered up black Orp, probably a boy too:

DSC04510.jpg

A Silver Grey Dorking lad

DSC04500.jpg

And another hiding behind Dustin Hoffman the Poland:

DSC04495.jpg

Little & Large

DSC04491.jpg

DSC04502.jpg

Dustin Hoffman the Poland:

DSC04509-1.jpg

Where did it all go wrong? :biglaugh:

From this....

DSC03858.jpg

to this in just five weeks :rolleyes:

DSC04510.jpg

Blue Orp has always been big and gangly but black Orp was cute once upon a time :wub: I can't keep either of them so I've still not got my much wanted black Orp :rolleyes: Emily says I can have one of her Brahmas instead :rolleyes:

Hercules has ceased to be. He started crowing this morning at around 8.15am. Once he'd discovered what a marvelous sound he could make he continued every 30 seconds or so :rolleyes: Georgia asked for an ice lolly and I thought that'd keep her occupied while I did the deed but Hercules had other ideas. He jumped up, stole the lolly and went running off around the garden with it, hotly persued by several hens :biglaugh: He thoroughly enjoyed that before I sent him on his way. I found it a lot easier to do this time, not so upsetting.

:pinkie: Baby Ancona is on it's way :pinkie: I got the shock of my life earlier, I don't know why but when I turned the eggs I decided to take a peek inside only to be surprised by the sight of the Ancona egg with a massive hole in! :ohmy: They're not due until Saturday, I hadn't stopped turning yet, I was going to stop tonight and re-arrange the incy so it had water in and a mat for them to hatch on.

So I dashed back inside (they're in the garage) to fetch some water to fill the incy. Took out the dividers, covered the gap where the water is so they don't drown themselves and put the mat down. It seems ok, hasn't made any more progress and I'm hoping it'll not emerge fully for a day or so. I can see into the egg and the blood vessels aren't closed off yet so I know it's got a while to go. Impatient little so and so! I can't believe it's trying to come out so early!

I couldn't bring myself to despatch Derek my sulmtaler, so i admire you for being able to produce your own meat. Luckily my neighbours don't mind and i am very careful to make sure he doesn't wake anyone up- we did tell everyone to let us know if he was a problem and we would sort it but they all seem to enjoy the sound. I dont think they would make good eaters now anyway- the'd be tough as old boots by now :wub:

We have a friend who was given a couple of RIR hens and they have terrorized his bull terriers and killed a couple of blackbirds and other birds whilst he has had them, i know chickens can be tough (Derek had a proper fight with 2 magpies and won and he's only small), but it surprised me that they are catching these garden birds in flight sometimes :unsure: