UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No change. He came out of the coop and plonked himself down in the run within stretching distance of both food and water. I've left them all in the run because I'll not be here to supervise the little ones this morning. I dread not bringing him home again :mecry:

Wally is home :wub: It's either one of three things and the outcome isn't good for any of them. Top of the list is Leukosis, a virus that causes cancerous tumours, and Wallys are likely to be in his nervous system, the tumours will spread and Wally will die (or be helped along the way). Possibly Mareks but unlikely as that doesn't normally show itself until 5 or 6 months of age. The third possibility is poisoning from some kind of metal. Treatment for that is surgical removal of the offending foreign body plus a course of anti-dote injections. Even without surgery if there was any metal in him he would initially improve after one injection but then get ill again as it wore off. Metal would show up on an xray but the cheapest option was one injection to see if it made a difference. If it does and Wally improves then that's what it is but I don't think Wally is physically strong enough to withstand surgery.

Between all the chicks they've destroyed about five feeders by dismantling them and throwing the nuts and bolts far and wide. I'm yet to find one they cannot break. So it is possible Wally has a piece of metal lodged in his gizzard. The vet still thinks it's probably Leukosis though :sad02:

So basically, unless a miracle occurs, Wally is going to die.

No change :sad02: If I'm completely honest I think his legs are a little weaker today. He's spent the morning in the run but is now laying underneath his favourite tree at the top of the garden. He can see all the action from there :wub: Paxo and Lily Pie are his best friends and they keep going over to lay next to him. It's so hard to know how long to give him to improve, he can't be disabled forever, it's not fair on him. He's still eating and drinking whatever I put in front of him and he picks at the grass around him but he doesn't want to move. I did think of culling him this morning because there was no improvement but it's such a nice day outside and he's happy enough under his tree and I wanted him to have another day to prove the vet wrong :mecry:

No change :sad02: If I'm completely honest I think his legs are a little weaker today. He's spent the morning in the run but is now laying underneath his favourite tree at the top of the garden. He can see all the action from there :wub: Paxo and Lily Pie are his best friends and they keep going over to lay next to him. It's so hard to know how long to give him to improve, he can't be disabled forever, it's not fair on him. He's still eating and drinking whatever I put in front of him and he picks at the grass around him but he doesn't want to move. I did think of culling him this morning because there was no improvement but it's such a nice day outside and he's happy enough under his tree and I wanted him to have another day to prove the vet wrong :mecry:

I'm so sorry!! Like you say he is happy enough under the tree. Tomorrow is another day :GroupHug: :flowers: All my good thoughts are being sent his way!

Oh poor old Wally - and poor you...... as you say, he is happy enough now enjoying the sunshine and you will know when is best for him, so I completely agree with letting him sunbathe and relax without a care in the world.

His life may be short but it will be full of love and fun.

I think while the weather is nice it's fine for him to spend so much time under his tree. I wouldn't want him to do it in wet or cold weather. He's still been managing a drunken sprint for corn so I hope I get to see that again later :wub: He's just told me that he doesn't like greens though :laugh:

My girls have laid me three lovely eggs this morning :biggrin:

How wonderful that they're so settled so quickly :wub:

Cheryl - I just don't know what to say :mecry: :GroupHug: I'm so, so sorry that the outcome for Wally is so bleak, but no ickle boy chicken could possibly have been loved and adored as much as he has been. He was so lucky to hatch into the care of such a doting mum :wub: :wub: I hope that he manages to pick up a bit and have a few more sprinting days in the sunshine :wub: