UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

2 Minutes Silence

yena

I was very disappointed :(

I work in a sheltered housing complex and I turned the communal tv on so they could watch the wreath laying etc but when it came to the silence most residents in the lounge carried on chatting through it. These are people who lived and served at least in WW2.

Our alarm in work sounded at 11 and then again 2 minutes later. People even stopped typing as suddenly the sound of tapping was deafening. Everyone was silent but one phone rang throughout. Clearly whoever was on the other end didnt know it was 11 or knew the significance of the time they chose to call.

It was my first Rememberance Day in my new job, as it's just 'me and the boss' I asked him what he normally does - he said he didn't normally do anything, but he'd be more than happy to observe the silence with me (he has strong Christian views) so just before 11 I turned my radio on, Ken Bruce played John dunbar's theme from Dances with Wolves and that was it, my eyes started to leak and I had to start finding a tissue fast before I flooded my desk.......... boy was I glad when the silence was over.......

Note to self - get the tissues out before the silence starts next time.

I did it on Sunday and again today. Dad did 2 marches with the Standard. Very smart he looked too. :wub:

The main march was Sunday then today he marched again. 77 year old bloke carrying the Standard in the wind and rain. I am proud of my Dad. :wub:

I will try to find the pics of the last 2 years as they were posted on here.

Kazz xx

I did it on Sunday and again today. Dad did 2 marches with the Standard. Very smart he looked too. :wub:

The main march was Sunday then today he marched again. 77 year old bloke carrying the Standard in the wind and rain. I am proud of my Dad. :wub:

I will try to find the pics of the last 2 years as they were posted on here.

Kazz xx

I remember them, he looks so dignified in his uniform :flowers: