UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Grumble

griff

If you can, get photos of the bats (or video if thats easier) and evidence like droppings. Bats are protected, you are not meant to destroy their home or injure them...but you must have proof they exist there in the first place. The Wildlife Trust should be able to give you good advice, but in the end it comes down to whether the council believe you or care. There was a lovely big old tree opposite our friend's house, on the grass verge, doing no one any harm, and bats roosted in it. A developer wanting to sell a parcel of land behind the tree cut it down last month...my friend phoned the council and they couldn't have been less interested. :( It wasn't even standing on the land he wants to sell.

Disrupting bats or nesting birds deliberately definitely is a criminal offence, you might have to fight your corner to get people to sit up and take notice though. Apart from the Wildlife trust and the bat people, if there are any local organisations doing volunteer work or observation or whatever, they will probably have good contacts and know who to talk to. Our local one is just called a 'Wildlife Group' but I know that some of the University of the Third Age groups are involved in wildlife observation too. There are lots of Conservation Volunteer groups, again they'll have contacts and know who can get things done. If it were me I'd try local councillors and the MP as well.

Just make sure that they know that you are complaining about more than just coppicing or renovation work, and focus on the rarer native animals/insects/plants, you will have a lot more luck mobilising people to do something about bats or goldcrests than introduced species like muntjac.