UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Grumble

griff

i am really fed up with meddling neighbours, i am very lucky where i live as we have a lovely wood maybe a minutes walk from my house, to get to the field and wood you have to go up a path, this path has always been lined by trees and was beautiful in autumn. anyway, last week the tree surgeons came out and four trees were killed :mecry: they were perfectly healthy trees all be it slightly overgrowing the path (over hanging) there has always been a dispute about who is responsible for that strip of land :rolleyes: anyway i got round to finding out who had done the work and it was our local councl so i called to give them hell, i just got my call back off the head tree surgeon. 2 of the residents had complained about rats in the spinney (duh it s woodland what do they expect??) the trees were causing a problem to people on the path, well i am disabled and use the path at least twice a day and cope just fine! o.k they maybe needed trimming slightly and this is the best reason of all for removal of 2 trees, "they were not suited to the area," they were some kind of maple, he said he had no idea who would have planted those trees so close to houses but within 10-20 years they would have been into the properties, why after 20 odd years decide the trees were now a problem?? anyway as for damage my garage was right by one of the trees and i have no trouble whatsoever. it is the same 2 people constantly bullying people and i must admit i felt incredibly sorry for the fella on the phone as he had been given a c*** and bull story in order to get the trees removed, they kept bullying residents out the back who had trees by our parking area until they agreed to get the trees chopped down (conifers) all they needed was chopping back but they asked us to sign the petition to "make " the people get the trees removed, they were told where to go, in the end one fella gave in and the meddling neighbours paid for it between them, apparently next on the list is the parking area, they are insisting it needs to be resurfaced, i swear to you there is nothing and i mean nothing wrong with the parking area, when they began complaining i went and had a good old nosey to see what was so awful, there are no potholes and it is smooth as anything. i really am annoyed that they think they have the right to bully people into doing what they want and deciding which trees should be killed for no good reason! the good news?? well apparently the tree surgeon is going to plant some sort of thorn tree thing that should grow to 10 metres in height provided it is left alone (as if that will happen) and i did have to laugh at him when i said "i can't see that happening" and he said well apparently people have their own ideas about planting a tree and shrubs, so the circle begins again they choose a tree and plant it in a unsuitable position and in 10 years time our council tax is used to kill off another beautiful tree because they no longer want it :rolleyes:

Neighbours :angry: I so would like to live somewhere where there wasn't any :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i know what you mean, i generally don't bother with any of them much but this really has annoyed me :angry: :angry: i did feel a little bit proud of myself as i didn't swear :biggrin:

We have a nice small, woody park behind the house. Some new people arrived in our road and have decided that it needs "tidying -up"and have recruited other neighbours to help. None of them use the park. I'm in there daily with the dogs and have never seen them using it to walk in or just sit and enjoy the trees. They have ripped up a whole load of brambles which were used by the Muntjac for hiding and are now widening the footpaths and marking them out with logs. One of them has been round with a b****y strimmer widening the footpaths through the trees. It is beginning to look manicured instead of wild. The foxes that used to live there have moved.

I've rung the council to find out if they have permission to do this and they told me that these people want to make the park more accessible. I think they're just spinning the council a line. The people working on the park all have very formal gardens and are very neat and tidy and it feels to me that they just want this nice, previously wild area to be like their back gardens.

I have a neighbour who has had all the trees in his garden removed, along with one that was growing in the nature strip about 20 feet from his house as he thought it was dangerous. It's bizarre. I'd be well pee'd off with people "tidying up" a spinney - I wonder if it would be worth giving your local wildlife trust a call??

ooooo so it is not just me then :unsure: :unsure: i do tend to get a lot of strange looks as i like things jut to be left alone, i don't mean rubbish strewn or anything but i like things to look "real" my neighbours on one side moan to me about what goes on but they never bother to call anyone and tell them about it and our council is free- phone so there is really no excuse, i do feel better for having said something although thoroughly gutted about the trees.

spins4me, i would definately get onto your wildlife trust if you have one as they are going way to far by the sounds of things, maybe they can get involved and advise the people doing the work of a better way of doing things :)

I'd be well pee'd off with people "tidying up" a spinney - I wonder if it would be worth giving your local wildlife trust a call??

To be fair, when I was doing conservation volunteering for a wildlife trust (and for the National Trust too) we used to get quite a few calls from people complaining about what we were doing, which a lot of the time was stuff like coppicing, hedge laying and rhododendron bashing, which can leave an area looking rather open and trashed for a bit afterwards. The thing is that a lot of British woodland really evolved as managed woodland, it's a landscape that is designed to be grazed and cropped, if you just leave everything to grow it can become choked with brambles and rhodododendrons and becomes a less attractive environment for the smaller and rarer things. So you end up with tough things like rats, deer and foxes, but are less likely to have native voles or goldcrests or orchids.

If there were a pair of 20 year old non-native maples that were close to houses, then I can kind of see why a decision might be made to replace them with something a bit less invasive and damaging to buildings that would provide a wider range of habitats and food for birds. Maples live over 100 years and at 20-30 years old would probably be getting to the stage where their roots are more likely to be posing a problem, I think. (though that said I've got a lovely non-native maple in my garden, and although I took out some of the big conifers crowded around it which were very dark, I've kept the maple because it's just so beautiful in the autumn - so I do feel sympathy for the loss !)

Certainly worth calling them, but I would be inclined to research exactly what is being done and why in some detail first so that you can argue your case most effectively and convince them there is something needs doing.

Neighbours :angry: I so would like to live somewhere where there wasn't any :laugh:

i dont have any immediate neighbours and the other residents in our lane are farmers and families so we all get along pretty well. We have one couple who have an ultra modern bungalow further down who sit and beep if they cant get their toyoya 4x4 past a customers car without driving it through a puddle but other than them being tosspots now and again its a lovely place to live :D

i dont have any immediate neighbours and the other residents in our lane are farmers and families so we all get along pretty well. We have one couple who have an ultra modern bungalow further down who sit and beep if they cant get their toyoya 4x4 past a customers car without driving it through a puddle but other than them being tosspots now and again its a lovely place to live :D

:jealous: :jealous: :jealous: sounds like heaven :biggrin:

spins4me, i would definately get onto your wildlife trust if you have one as they are going way to far by the sounds of things, maybe they can get involved and advise the people doing the work of a better way of doing things :)

The park is made up of the garden of a large old house that was burned down many years ago. It has some lovely specimen trees in there plus an old orchardwhich had become overgrown with brambles. I do know that the original agreed plan (with the borough council was to clear the orchard and plant some new "old variety" apple trees. I'm sure that there was no agreement to widen and mark pathways through thickets.

There are goldcrests and nuthatchesin the park and they come into my garden - not sure about voles though. I will contact the Wildlife Trust and have a chat.

I hate to see trees cut down. I live on the outside of the village and directly opposite an old Victorian Asylum that was closed down many years ago. It had beautiful gardens, surrounded by fields and a large orchard. Then it was bought by developers who wanted to make a whole new village there. We were horrified, I love looking out over the fields from my windows (the hospital buildings are to my right). So the whole village got up in arms and they finally agreed to leave the "dog walking fields" alone, do only footstep housing and leave all the trees alone. They did it all as planned and it is now still a very nice place and more importantly my view and the dog fields are intact. Also, I am very lucky with my nice neighbours except a very strange woman whose back garden backs onto mine. She gave every dog owner in the neighbourhood lots of stress for years, complaining to the council etc, but seems to have gone quiet lately! :) So, this is a nice place to live. As i am sitting typing this I can see for miles right across fields with all the trees turning different colours. I like my house! :) x

We have a nice small, woody park behind the house. Some new people arrived in our road and have decided that it needs "tidying -up"and have recruited other neighbours to help. None of them use the park. I'm in there daily with the dogs and have never seen them using it to walk in or just sit and enjoy the trees. They have ripped up a whole load of brambles which were used by the Muntjac for hiding and are now widening the footpaths and marking them out with logs. One of them has been round with a b****y strimmer widening the footpaths through the trees. It is beginning to look manicured instead of wild. The foxes that used to live there have moved.

I've rung the council to find out if they have permission to do this and they told me that these people want to make the park more accessible. I think they're just spinning the council a line. The people working on the park all have very formal gardens and are very neat and tidy and it feels to me that they just want this nice, previously wild area to be like their back gardens.

Is there any signs of Badgers there ? Or bats ?

This will stop them stone dead if there is.