UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

R M F - October 2008

Wendbert

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to look into my family "tree" but I don't have any contact with my direct family, I never knew my paternal grandparents and my maternal grandparents are dead and I don't know my nan's maiden name. Bit of a lost cause really. Shame as I do recall hearing at one point in the distant past, part of the family went off to the US and got rich and I think a book was published but I have no way of finding out. I believe there's Italian in my blood from some point too.

Real shame. I don't have a sense of belonging to a family really, apart from Rob and the dogs, I just belong to the world. Lucky world :huh:

Oh Rachel that's not good at all. :( Put a lock on your door.

That's the problem Kelly. With Oldies I haven't the time. I can't get information from my family. I don't even know my grandparents names and could only get one of them if my sister happens to know. I met both my grandmothers. My dad won't talk about his mum because she was a class a evil bitch and I don't blame him. He won't discuss the past pre 1977. I remember my nanna on my mother's side and I actually look the spit of her.

Edited by Jacobean

Because when ever i leave my room she invites herself in unwelcomed and you cant get rid of her. She just goes to sleep on my bed, or goes through my things

:GroupHug: Put a lock on your door? Is it your house or hers? :unsure:

Real shame. I don't have a sense of belonging to a family really, apart from Rob and the dogs, I just belong to the world. Lucky world :huh:

That means you partly belong to my family too because we are part of the world and that makes me feel lucky :wub:

I started doing my family tree but it got rather complicated :rolleyes:

Wendy, how thoughtful of him to write :GroupHug:

Claz, my supplier is Southern Electric but I think it's part of Scottish & Southern (which I didn't realise till I looked on the letter). B*stards whoever they are. Can you imagine if Tesco billed me extra six weeks after I'd paid for my shopping? :mad:

Our supplier is Southern Electric too and we received a letter last week. I decided we would change and looked at the Ebico (that's the not for profit company) Southern Electric prices are still cheaper per unit, Ebico put their prices up on the 2nd October. Oil prices have now dropped to $86 per barrel, a few weeks ago it was over $100 so hopefully prices will start to come down over the next couple of months.

I ahte my housemate and im afraid to go and get a cup of tea :mecry:

Rachel its horrible to live like that, I used to many, many years ago dislike my housemate but even worse we were room mates too, I used to wake in the morning and wait for her to get up and ready to go to work, as soon as I heard the front door I would fly out of bed and get ready in double quick time so I wasn't late for work, it was horrible. Just read your next post, could you not put a lock on your door, that would stop her.

Because when ever i leave my room she invites herself in unwelcomed and you cant get rid of her. She just goes to sleep on my bed, or goes through my things

God, how rude! I agree, put a lock on your door - preferably both sides so you can lock yourself in and lock her out, depending on which side of it you're on.

I'd love to look into my family "tree" but I don't have any contact with my direct family, I never knew my paternal grandparents and my maternal grandparents are dead and I don't know my nan's maiden name. Bit of a lost cause really. Shame as I do recall hearing at one point in the distant past, part of the family went off to the US and got rich and I think a book was published but I have no way of finding out. I believe there's Italian in my blood from some point too.

Lucky world indeed (and for having Andrea too). If you ever fancied doing it, you can go back using birth and marriage certificates from public records because they have information like maiden names, fathers names, occupations, etc. It's do-able with or without the information from recent times. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea though :flowers:

Kelly I can't remember if you ever got an Ancestry subscription but if you need anything remember I have access :flowers:

For those others who don't have maiden names, doesn't matter you can find them easily. It's like a giant puzzle you put together and keeps me fascinated for hours. Kelly's family is definitely fascinating! :laugh: Hers kept me busy for a while too!

RMF: Muppet goes to the vet for his final vaccination tonight. We are somewhat excited about going to parks for walks as he is my only dog wot doesn't cause chaos. Yet :biggrin:

Kelly I can't remember if you ever got an Ancestry subscription but if you need anything remember I have access :flowers:

I haven't renewed my subscription for ancestry since last time because I only do it in fits and starts. Tis a bit annoying not having it because I was playing for a few hours last night and could have done with my subscription to poke around for information. Thanks for the offer :flowers:

I'm still in regular contact with Michael, thanks to you! He sent me a postcard from the Lake District last week :biggrin: He's now hooked with researching the family he didn't know for 60 years, bless him.

Good luck later Muppet :wub: :wub: :wub: Be good!

I'll definitely look into that then. I find Who do you think you are fascinating. I'm guessing from public records you mean where folk were born and died? Mine are scattered all over the place.

I would love to be able to go right back. I watched a programme called Christina a couple of weeks ago. It was about a lady and her family from medieval times. They managed to piece her life together from info in records.

That means you partly belong to my family too because we are part of the world and that makes me feel lucky :wub:

Bless you :flowers:

Lucky world indeed (and for having Andrea too). If you ever fancied doing it, you can go back using birth and marriage certificates from public records because they have information like maiden names, fathers names, occupations, etc. It's do-able with or without the information from recent times. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea though :flowers:

Oh I would find it really interesting, I just wouldn't know where to start really - nor do I have the time at the moment but shall look into it in the future perhaps. My maternal grandparents had a fairly unusual surname at least so that would be something I guess. I did look into it a little a year or two ago but didn't get very far. This was just online. How would you find a marriage certificate from your grandparents, for example, if you don't know when or where they got married? Or where they lived then? Or is that just not possible?

I would really love to find old photos of relatives in particular, that would be the most exciting bit for me. I'd really like to know about the relatives who went to the US too if that was true.

Rachel, the lock sounds like a very good idea. I had a housemate once who turned a bit weird and it's not a situation I'd like to repeat. I was renting the house and had rented out the spare room to her (with the landlord's permission). I had to get her out in the end which she didn't take kindly too but I'm glad I did it.

I started researching my family tree when I was about 18 (a long time ago) as I have a rather infamous surname. Then a few years ago I realised that actually I didn't like my family very much and that took the gloss off it. I still like the piecing the info together though.

Rachel, hope you are OK. It's hard enough studying away from home without being stressed by someone like your sharer.