UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Trying Again After A Loss?

LisaLQ

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having several dogs of the same breed isn't replacing one of the same that you have lost. They all have their own quirks and personalities. There are characteristics about certain breeds that I just love. We've had 3 Viz now and they have all been fantastic, blooming hard work but wonderful. Each is so different to the other though. It's so quiet here without a Spinone. The new one will be nothing like Issie. If they were a repeat of each other I wouldn't go for the same type. They're not clones. They're all different.

It doesn't matter how long you leave it until you take another in. Whether you take one in straight away or leave it for a bit. Makes no difference. You're not trying to replace what you've lost. You're just opening your heart to another. I keep driving myself nuts wandering around the house looking for the 4th bowl that isn't there.

The right dog for you will be out there when you're ready.

Edited by Jacobean

Having several dogs of the same breed isn't replacing one of the same that you have lost. They all have their own quirks and personalities. There are characteristics about certain breeds that I just love. We've had 3 Viz now and they have all been fantastic, blooming hard work but wonderful. Each is so different to the other though. It's so quiet here without a Spinone. The new one will be nothing like Issie. If they were a repeat of each other I wouldn't go for the same type. They're not clones. They're all different.

It doesn't matter how long you leave it until you take another in. Whether you take one in straight away or leave it for a bit. Makes no difference. You're not trying to replace what you've lost. You're just opening your heart to another. I keep driving myself nuts wandering around the house looking for the 4th bowl that isn't there.

The right dog for you will be out there when you're ready.

I will always have a black lab (or two!) in my life. Like you say, there are characteristics that you love about a breed and for me it's labs, black working type ones in particular.

There are lots of similarities between Max and M-M and I love that :wub: My next lab (not for a long while though hopefully unless I win the lottery!) will I'm sure share some characteristics but may be otherwise very different. They will be very much loved too :)

I know what you mean about looking for that fourth bowl. Until we adopted M-M I was still leaving four bits of whatever leftover for the dogs and then realising :sad02: :GroupHug:

Not wanting to replace Sky is only part of the reason behind not going for another greyhound/lurcher. Truth is, no matter how much I love them, I dont think we're the right home for one at the moment. We have another (very!) large dog, we have several active and sometimes quite noisy children, and hardest of all - we have lots of small animals. I also need a smaller dog, that's easier for me to walk. I can sometimes have mobility issues (sometimes walk with a crutch/stick), so a smaller (and less sighthoundy/keen) breed would be easier for me to walk right now. I know several people with springers and how well the breed (in general, but all dogs are different) fit into families, but I also know that they're a very active breed, so we're considering things very carefully. Part of my recovery is going to be down to good hard exercise, so whilst that could go against me, it could also work for me. You see how tricky this is? lol!

BUT...having said that...like I said, we've only spoken about it today, and we're a long way off decided about who is going to join us and when :wacko:

When i lost paddy, my first greyhound I knew Boggy needed a friend but i wasnt sure i could face another greyhound. then i met Lee. He might be greyhound shaped but he is a lab in the wrong body. He was a non chaser, walks to heel, sits, downs gives paws, fetches balls and bows to order. He might look like a grey but he is nothing like one in personality. He is also a better guard dog than my rotties :laugh:

while its early days, try to focus on what you want from a dog rather than a specific breed as yet. personality goes a lot further than breed specifics. (Id also like to know what your springer friends put in the water coz they dont behave well round here and the ones that come into boarding have had me on me arse several times pulling me over :laugh: )

When I lost Jake, despite still having two dogs, I felt lost. In fact a few days later I saw a dog called Jake a collie cross and very nearly adopted him, but Jake was still here in spirit so I was glad when the other boy was already reserved. It was 4 months later when we adopted Bonzo but I deliberately chose a different breed. Then I lost George two months after that, it was awful. And I would have stuck at two but as soon as I saw Leo 6 months later I just knew he was for me (in fact he was homed and then returned - fate)

You will know when the time is right, and when you see the right dog you will feel a connection, and often when you least expect it and often with a dog you wouldn't normally consider.

Good luck in your search, and don't feel like you are replacing Sky because you know deep inside that's not it at all, I often feel these guys are like Jaks legacy, I had to lose him to gain them if you know what I mean xx

You will know when the time is right, and when you see the right dog you will feel a connection, and often when you least expect it and often with a dog you wouldn't normally consider.

Good luck in your search, and don't feel like you are replacing Sky because you know deep inside that's not it at all, I often feel these guys are like Jaks legacy, I had to lose him to gain them if you know what I mean xx

Totally agree. Trust your feelings. :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Completely understand Helly, which is why it was only an idea rather than a decision - like I said, we only spoke about it today we're far from decided on anything.

Our needs:

Female

Good with kids (bombproof)

Good with other very large dogs

Good with small animals (would need to be excellent, completely uninterested, as we have lots)

Small to medium

Hopefully able to train to go offlead

I've yet to have seen a greyhound or lurcher tick all those boxes, hence me saying we're not the right home for one right now (not that they're not right for us, you know how much I love them and how highly I think of them which is why I know they're not for us right now).

I lost king in Jan and he was my first own dog and i couldnt have another dog with him due to living arangments but i would of loves more........i think because there was just him he left a HUGE space when he went! Because i have just got married and moved out i couldnt look for another dog as we are living with OH parents (on the top floor of their huge house) but they have 3 dogs. We borrow them when we want to walk etc but i have not felt like i need my own dog .......not felt ready in my heart!!!! i have never under stoodd true greif until i lost king! It still tugs at my heart now when i think about it..........i couldnt have another shep like him (male short haired) but would poss have another shep in time......

but his week on a pound run i fell in love with a rottie and spent the whole run crying as i had never felt like this in my heart since when i used ot look at king! You know that warm feeling in your tummy and glow when you just love and know there special!!! and i have never felt like that when just meeting a dog and falling straight away!!!! sadly cant have another dog now which is now killing me!!!

but it is true that you will just know when its right again!!! i didnt think i could have another dog in my life for years but now i know that sometime soon i can........go with your heart

As others have said, there's no right or wrong time to take another dog, it's different for every person and different with every loss.

I think the decision will be taken out of your hands anyway. One day you will just see the 'right' dog and know you are ready. That may be tomorrow or it may be in a year's time, but it will happen. :GroupHug:

Thank you so much for all the advice. We've decided that unless a very special dog comes along, we're not going to actively seek another dog until the New Year.

It's hard explaining to people - after actively promoting a specific breed/type of dog for years - that you dont want to do it this time. However, this isn't a reflection on greyhounds and lurchers at all, we love them and always will, which is how we know we're not perfect for one at the moment. Plus there's no rule saying once you've had one, you always have to get another.

I'd rather be fussy and stick to my guns and run the risk of not finding another dog, than rush into adopting an unsuitable dog because I feel I should (or other people do), and end up with it all going wrong.

Hope that doesn't come across as me being a hypocrite or coming down on anyone - just trying to explain things from our side. It's very unlikely that a cat/kid/dog friendly young small to medium female dog will come up in a rescue nearby or within public transport reach, who will rehome to a non-working family with five kids (aged 5-13) and a whopping great dane - without limiting our options to greyhounds and lurchers too!

We orginally had Scrappy a JRT, to keep her company when she was 8 months old we got Jessie a GSD x. Jessie had been brought up with her littermates and then came to us. We lost Scrappy six months later due to suspected poisoning. Jessie howled, whined, and stopped eating and went into serious depression. We had not planned on getting another dog so quickly but on the vets advice, we did, as she was rapidly loosing weight and had forgotton how to wag her tail :mecry:

After a long talk with both my kids, we decided what dog we wanted. My kisa description " a puppy or young dog, GSDx, MUST be black, with a bit of collie as well :wacko: "

I looked on another forum, and Cosmo jumped out he fitted the bill perfectly. He arrived at our house within a week and Jessie from that moment on, started eating, wagging her tail abd grinning from ear to ear.

Cosmo I think found us, and it was the bext decision we made otherwise we probably would have lost Jessie too. Jessie is now 5 and Cosmo is nearly five, they are great together, although they are chalk and cheese.

Good luck with whatever you decide