UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bruce

Alibullie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was mention of the DDA in Ireland being amended to allow suitable dogs to be added to the register, as in UK.

Is anything happening with this?

There was a review of the law in NI announced in Nov 2007, last september (2008) the review was ongoing, Michelle Gildernew (Sinn Féin) said:

"In the Assembly on 20 November 2007, I announced a review of dangerous dogs and dog-fighting legislation. Since that announcement, my officials have been carrying out a scoping exercise on existing legislation with regard to all aspects of dog control, including dangerous dogs. This included examining the wide range of comments made by Members, district councils, the PSNI and a range of stakeholders. My officials have also engaged with their counterparts in Dublin and Britain."

also said in september:

"There are conflicting views about the effectiveness of banning dogs based on their breed or type, and my officials have discussed the issue with breed experts and district councils. It is a complex problem that requires careful and detailed consideration, and perhaps further discussion with experts and those with responsibility for enforcement. I also raised the matter during discussions with stakeholders. However, until the issue has been fully examined, I do not want to pre-empt the outcome of the review."

what's likely to happen next ?

There was a news bit on a case in NI news article

Amanda x

There was a review of the law in NI announced in Nov 2007, last september (2008) the review was ongoing, Michelle Gildernew (Sinn Féin) said:

"In the Assembly on 20 November 2007, I announced a review of dangerous dogs and dog-fighting legislation. Since that announcement, my officials have been carrying out a scoping exercise on existing legislation with regard to all aspects of dog control, including dangerous dogs. This included examining the wide range of comments made by Members, district councils, the PSNI and a range of stakeholders. My officials have also engaged with their counterparts in Dublin and Britain."

also said in september:

"There are conflicting views about the effectiveness of banning dogs based on their breed or type, and my officials have discussed the issue with breed experts and district councils. It is a complex problem that requires careful and detailed consideration, and perhaps further discussion with experts and those with responsibility for enforcement. I also raised the matter during discussions with stakeholders. However, until the issue has been fully examined, I do not want to pre-empt the outcome of the review."

what's likely to happen next ?

There was a news bit on a case in NI news article

Amanda x

Thank you

Edited by blackmagic

• 1 month later...

Is anybody aware of the developments in this case?

There is a thread on DP that apparantly, they have won the appeal but Bruce has to be insured as a pitbull before 20 March in order to be released?

The owner seems desparate as she cannot find insurance for N Ireland.

Just spoke with the Company of Animals/Dr Mugford's office, they are in contact with the solicitor today and shall hopefully have an update on the situation (shall put up on their web site), the situation is very confusing as there is sketchy info on a review of the initial ruling, a reprieve, registration onto the Index (even thou the Amendment doesn't apply to NI) and case stated in court of Appeal.

Bruce is still held.

There was a legal hearing, it was suppose to have been a short one to determine a date for the Appeal, but it appears to have gone into a full hearing, maybe back in court next week-to be conformed

Amanda

• 2 months later...
Bruce given a reprieve

After what was intended to be a brief hearing in early March to set a date for Bruce's appeal, the Judge considering the case decided to give Bruce a reprieve as she believed that he does not pose a danger to the public. Although unclear at present how this will go ahead, it seems the Judge has not contested the fact that Bruce is a Pit Bull, rather that due to his loving and gentle nature, Bruce can be returned to his owner under the conditions that apply to registered Pit Bull types in England. As the 1997 Amendment Act to was not accepted to The Dangerous Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order, 1991, any dog deemed by the Court in Northern Ireland to be of the Pit Bull type must be destroyed and there are no provisions for dogs of this type to be returned to owners. This has provided a catch 22 for Bruce's owner, as she has, as yet, been unable to obtain insurance because no company will insure a Pit Bull in Northern Ireland, but without insurance Bruce cannot be returned (as per the conditions in England). The case has been back before the Judge this week, but at present the situation is no clearer. The matter is due back before the court soon, wherein it will be determined how the case can proceed with this complex, unusual and potentially ground-breaking ruling for alleged Pit Bulls in Northern Ireland.

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/abcnews.php

The owner has since gotten a new dog and does not respond to offer of help. She asked for a place for Bruce in the Republic weeks ago and was offered a space for him but has not replied to emails Lily from DNBI sentetc.

I was asked to fax a letter to her solicitor in which I agree to take in Bruce. I have done so today.

Here's hoping it will sorted soon and Bruce can start the rest of his life. Poor dog will have some adjusting to do but he couldn't be in better hands that at EGAR.