UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Raw Feeding ?

Hollysdad

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we first got Breckin he didn't know what to do with chicken wings either. Raw mince was fine but he didn't know how to chew :rolleyes: I chopped up the wings with my handy meat cleaver (a necessary tool when feeding raw chicken carcasses) and then flash fried the bits so that the meat was seared on the outside but the bones still raw. He ate those bits no problem, so then everyday I just gave him slightly bigger bits and fried it a bit less until by the end of the week he was eating the wing whole with no problem.

I was nearly tempted to buy some lamb ribs (on offer at supermarket) as a treat for my two but I chickened out, I was to paranoid that being Staffies they would be able to crack off too big a piece of bone........any opinions ? am I being too careful ? :unsure:

all assorted blunty dogs here eat raw mince and meaty bones such as rib marrow necks and wings, they inhale most food you give them but seem to actually taste the bones :laugh: i never leave them with them if im out but we havent had an incident and ive been feeding this way for 15 years

I was nearly tempted to buy some lamb ribs (on offer at supermarket) as a treat for my two but I chickened out, I was to paranoid that being Staffies they would be able to crack off too big a piece of bone........any opinions ? am I being too careful ? :unsure:

My Spins love pork ribs and chomp up all of them so lamb ribs hsould be ok. Ribs are comparatively soft and safe to eat. Big marrow type bones are very hard and can break teeth. A very determined dog can sometimes crack chunks off so care is needed with them.

My boys have had their first foray into raw food tonight!

They've had chicken wings, and they seem to have been a hit!

I was, and still am, terrified!

I thought Finn might struggle more than Billy as he is fussier about food, but he took to it well and I had to hold his wings to stop him eating too quickly and not chewing properly! That was quite unpleasant for a veggie :sick01: .Billy got the hang of it by his third one.

I don't think raw feeding is for me but if all goes well in the next couple of days I think raw stuff will be on the menu as a treat!

Well, Spud and Daisy really enjoyed their lamb breast, I did the searing it first trick that was mentioned, Spud just about swallowed his whole, big greedy git, and I had to hold Daisy's for her, she just can't get the hang of this chewing lark :rolleyes: , I bought four packs, so have frozen the other three and they can have a once a week treat, I'm just waiting to see what comes out the other end :unsure: .........I think I'll be leaving the back door open tonight :rolleyes:

Rudy & Caleb adore their raw food. At first Rudy looked at a chicken wing with total disgust, but he loves them now. I feed the AMP or natures menu frozen mince blocks and a couple of chicken wings each for dinner. They also have chicken carcasses, lambs ribs, turkey necks, rabbit. They wont eat raw offal, so I cook this once a week with rice/pasta/veg and on Sundays they have troast chicken and veg.