UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

0844/0845 Numbers - Anyone Have One?

ReikiAnge

Hello, I am looking at acquiring an 0844 or 0845 number for myself - nothing to do with rescue/charity, but a project I'm working on with a friend. I want a number to use on a website but don't want to include my home no and I don't think a mobile no looks very reassuring or professional.

I have been given some links/thoughts already :flowers: but wondered if anyone had any experience of either.

The 0845 numbers cost a little bit to buy from the links I've found, but not a cost to really worry about, and after that there are no charges. The calls seem to be charged at local rate.

The 0844 number I can get for free and again no ongoing charges, but calls are charged at a slightly higher rate, although I don't know if that would put anyone off using the number.

I'm not looking to get the number to make any money and I don't envisage receiving hundreds of calls a day, so I don't think that side of things is very important.

The 0845 number site I have found is this one: http://0845.uk2numbers.co.uk/0845-Numbers.cfm?cat=standard - if anyone has any good/bad experiences to share please do (PM if it's really bad!).

This site: http://www.flextel.co.uk/numbers/0844-Busi...-Free-shop0.htm has been recommended for the 0844 number.

I prefer the "look" of 0845 compared to 0844 but maybe I'm just strange :biggrin:

As usual I have the patience of someone who's not a saint :rolleyes: so am keen to get my number asap. Any suggestions/experience etc. would be great.

We have a YAC number which looks like a mobile number but can be diverted to any phoneline - its currently set to my home phone and can accept faxes as well as voicemail.

My issue is the cost - I didn't know until recently (and we've had it maybe 4 years) that it charges similar to a mobile number. I like it because it protects my home number, I can transfer it to someone else while I'm on holiday and mostly its used by the press for statements and I have no issue charging the press. I do have huge issues charging your average person who wants to find out more about the campaign though.

Not much help but I do think the 0845 one would be better if you want people to contact you (if its companies, I'd go for what costs you less) and if I can raise the money, I may also change to 0845 number too. So am interested to hear if anyone else has any ideas?

Hi,

I can't answer re the 0845/0844, but if you're with BT, have you thought of using a "BT CALL SIGN" telno ? Basically you will be given a secondary landline telno which will run in conjunction with your existing home telno.

You could advertise the Call Sign telno and not your home telno. When callers ring on the Call Sign telno, your telephone will ring with a different ring tone to your usual telno. EG. usual ring tone is "ring ring ring ring" and Call Sign telno will sound like " riiiiiiiiiiing riiiiiiiiiing riiiiiiiiiiiiiing riiiiiiiiiiiing". (IUKWIM :wacko: :laugh: )

Therefore when your phone makes the different sound you will know its a call related to your project and can answer accordingly. When your phone makes its normal ringing tone you will know its one of your regular calls.

Call Sign is part of BT's calling features packages and would cost you about £5-6 per 1/4.

We have an 0844 number through flextel. We've only had it 5 months so I'm no expert but I'm mega pleased with it.

The number was free and there is no ongoing cost to us. Calls are charged at national rate so no more than calling someone on the other side of the country.

Their website allows you to manage the number really easily, setting up your ansaphone message etc and it even emails you when you're called and sends a file containing any ansaphone messages so you can always have a record of them.

You can direct it to a landline but not a mobile (they do other numbers which can be directed to a mobile). The number comes up on your caller ID so you can then give it a different ring tone. When someone calls and withholds their number it tells you all but a few digits of it so if it's someone you know you can tell it's them.

Ermmmm can't think of anything else but basically I'd definitely recommend an 0844 number through flextel.

Personally, I refuse to call 0845 and 0844 tel numbers, because they are more expensive to call from a landline (they are often called lo-call to confuse with local), and from mobiles can cost about 25p /min to call (they are excluded from inclusive deals). There has been a huge outcry about GP's using 0844 tel numbers, which actually earns them income and effectively charges the sick more to access healthcare.

If I can't find a landline equivalent on the website Saynoto0870, then I won't call the business /organisation at all and would go elsewhere.

Edited by Maria

Thanks all :flowers:

According to the site I've looked at, for the 0845 numbers, your customers pay for a local call to call you any time.

Thanks for your thoughts Maria.

As I said, I'm not looking for the number to make money but I need some contact number without using my personal ones, so need to use something and I'm not looking to take advantage of anyone :)

0844 numbers don't earn you money :unsure: They cost no more than 5p a min generally from landlines. Calls to 0845 numbers are often cheaper than calling normal numbers.

There are good genuine reasons for people and organisations having these numbers eg not wanting to give out home phone numbers or wanting to ensure they always keep the same number. My Step Dad has his own business the name of which relates to the phone number. He has been forced out of his premises and BT would only transfer the phone number to the same dialling area. Therefore he was faced with real harm to his business. A moveable number such as an 0844 or 0845 means the number can stay the same even if you move location.

0844 numbers don't earn you money :unsure: They cost no more than 5p a min generally from landlines. Calls to 0845 numbers are often cheaper than calling normal numbers.

There are good genuine reasons for people and organisations having these numbers eg not wanting to give out home phone numbers or wanting to ensure they always keep the same number. My Step Dad has his own business the name of which relates to the phone number. He has been forced out of his premises and BT would only transfer the phone number to the same dialling area. Therefore he was faced with real harm to his business. A moveable number such as an 0844 or 0845 means the number can stay the same even if you move location.

As non - geographical telephone numbers, they can and do earn money - 'revenue sharing' is what it's called.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumeradvice/lan...tofcalls/08faq/

quoted from the site -

'These numbers can allow the business or organisation using the number to receive a share of the call charge.

Calls to these numbers are generally more expensive to call than ordinary geographic numbers (which start with 01 or 02). Also 084 and 087 numbers are usually excluded from call packages'

The costs you state I believe relate to BT, for whom the charges are regulated. Anyone else can charge what they like.

I'm sure there are many good reasons to have a non-geographical telephone number, but you also have to bear in mind that there will be people who may be put off by the cost of calling you - esp from a mobile phone.

We also try not to use 084n numbers and have saynoto0870 as a toolbar bookmark. More and more people are getting free geographic number calls bundled with their ISP etc so anything other than 0800 costs money, we have unlimited 01 and 02 numbers anytime of the day for £5/month with $ky. As far as I know 084 numbers simply point to a geographic landline so you could have it on a dedicated landline or skype in/out account? Consumer direct list both because they recognise people have free geo number packages.

On the other hand I did think about getting an 0870 number to give out to everyone other than friends so when the bank starts calling with one of those damn automated messages it earns us cash :laugh:

Personally, I refuse to call 0845 and 0844 tel numbers, because they are more expensive to call from a landline (they are often called lo-call to confuse with local), and from mobiles can cost about 25p /min to call (they are excluded from inclusive deals). There has been a huge outcry about GP's using 0844 tel numbers, which actually earns them income and effectively charges the sick more to access healthcare.

If I can't find a landline equivalent on the website Saynoto0870, then I won't call the business /organisation at all and would go elsewhere.

Another reason to use an 0845 or 0844 number is that the underlying geographical number may not be the same at all times - even if the organisation doesn't have to move. For example, the oldies club number is answered by a team of volunteers on a rota basis. Or you might have a small business that is run by someone who needs to be working out of the area a few weeks a year.

You *can* forward a geographical number, but the ability to do it is quite limited, 0844/5 numbers offer much more flexibility, and doesn't have to be locked to an individual or an address. If you have a phone number that's going out on leaflets all over the place, you really don't want to use a number that is attached to a single person and their house, it's a complete nightmare if that person needs to take some time out.

Although 0844 and 0845 , in theory can earn money, generally if you are dealing with a small business or a charity, they won't be taking cash from it directly: any revenue share will probably be taken by whoever runs the service to pay admin costs and provide extras like voicemail.

I have a forwardable geographic number for my small business because I thought it looked just a bit more trustworthy if you are operating in a specific area and building on your local roots, but if you are setting up to trade over a larger area, and planning to grow, I think the 0845 idea is very handy.

Thanks folks :flowers:

I think I have settled on the 0845 number but from reading this thread it seems implied that some companies are charging callers more than others? In which case does anyone have a recommendation for a good 0845 company to choose, or know anything about the one I posted originally? Otherwise I shall take pot luck I think :)

I don't want to use a number that's tied into my ISP as I often think about changing ISP and I want to have a number that I can use for years to come and we will probably move at some point so I would rather have a number I can take with me really easily.

I don't envisage taking a huge number of calls and I will return any calls/messages left if needed. If I get talking to anyone they can have my home number if it's a problem, I just don't want to use my home number on the website. There will be an email address so people can email me if they prefer.

I know we get free (or very cheap) evening and weekend calls with our BT package but we don't get free daytime calls. I must admit unless it's a premium rate number charging a vast fortune I don't tend to look at the number/cost I'm calling if it's a company I want to speak to. I've never looked elsewhere based on a company's phone number.

if you are mainly calling geographical numbers then tale a look at skype.

i have a package with them that for £2 a month gives me free calls to any number beginning on 01 or 02 24 hours a day. you can associate a phone number with the line and set up voicemail etc as well

Rick, it's a number for people to call me, one I can put online without having to use my own number :flowers:

I am still trying to decide on this. I've been told if you have an 0845 numbers you have to pay for part of the call cost, which I don't want to do - does anyone know if this is the case for all companies selling 0845 numbers?

I have just been reading about 03xx numbers, which are part of inclusive call minutes or charged at geographic rates, that sounds good - anyone any experience or recommendation about where to get one from?

We have an 0800 number and it costs in total about £35 per month for the cost of renting the number and the calls (around 15 per day)....it is with NPC (part of Tiscali). If you call them on 0800 542 5000 they should be able to give you the costs and tell you what 0800 and 0808 numbers they have left :) You can have the number attached to a landline or a mobile number :)