UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Agility Ponderings

kirisox

I thought we could have a thread where we could post ponderings that perhaps do not warrant a whole thread of their own (but may invite discussion), kind of like RMF but agility related? If a certain strand attracts lots of responses, I will split it into its own thread :)

I will start:

Why oh why oh why do I, even though I know it is a bad idea, sometimes change my mind on the start line about how I am going to handle a bit of a course?? It always backfires for me and I still convince myself it will be alright :rolleyes:

I do it too and it's usually because I've stood in the queue watching everyone else. It never works and I always getting told off by my instructors for doing it.

Mine is.........

Why do I always say 'if Dudley bites my ankles I'm just going to leave the ring' and when it happens I shout and wave my arms at him and try and finish.

I've been pondering - when Rosie's agility classes re-start next week after a 3 month break, will she remember what to do? Bearing in mind that we've only done 8 x 1 hour classes so far, I think chances are that we both will have forgotten things.

I've been pondering - when Rosie's agility classes re-start next week after a 3 month break, will she remember what to do? Bearing in mind that we've only done 8 x 1 hour classes so far, I think chances are that we both will have forgotten things.

Bet she remembers, always easier to remember fun things than dull things :)

Why did I enter Merlyn for his first competition when I still have to walk him through the weaves saying weave at every pole and if he's not animated he goes under the first jump? (12 days to go!!)

When I first went to watch my first show, I was surprised at the many different standards in the elementary/starter classes - it certainly made me feel more confident about my dog's abilities :wink: Merlyn sounds like he will do just fine, and the first few shows are more to do with getting used to the show atmosphere and the way they work - although you may be surprised and do brilliantly at your first show :biggrin:

Karen, i'm sure Rosie will remember, I always find Jay is excellent after the christmas break (not as long as Rosie's break, I know...) as it gives them a break to rest and remember how much they love it :cool:

Amaranth,

I agree with Kirisox. I entered my dog for our first show in january and she was unfortunately injured before hand and so I went without her.

If you can, visit a show first without your dog- it will calm your nerves no end, if you can't get to one between now and then try and spend the first half an hour watching other people (Then you will see you are not alone), the percentage of people who get eliminated is massive, clear rounds are few and far between at the elementary / starter levels. (I for some reason thought I would be the only person who got it wrong and everyone would wonder what on earth I was doing there)

I saw dogs knocking over six or seven poles then doing the wrong jump, one jumped out of the ring and just walked off, and while I was sat in a corner on ring picking up duty I was jumped on by a dog in veterans class who is handled by an experienced senior handler.

It really was quite an eye opener - Our first comp is now in April, although I still feel we haven't got there yet in terms of performance level we won't get embarassed.

When all is said and done, you and the dog are meant to enjoy it - after all you can buy a rosette with Agility champion written on it for 50p

Edited by Shaun Jackson

Guest patch
last night I went to our second ever agility class... am I the only beginner who gets confused and have body language all over the place :laugh: ? I'm sure I'm not helping Indy a lot, I just hope it gets better :wacko:

Dont worry, it does getter better :biggrin:

Seriously, things you think you will never ever get the hang of will just suddenly click in to place - some things might take longer than others to become instinctive movements, but it will happen :flowers:

Enzo - would that be Sarah`s beautiful properly tailed Weimi boy ?

Not so much a ponder as a question! I'm not ready to take part in a class yet, but as my instructor is on his way back from crufts (he was judging the flyball), can anyone tell me if I will be allowed to carry Sidney's ball while doing the course? I've been training him with it (ball obcessed that one!) and want to know if I have to faze it out at some point (not looking forward to trying that!!!)

Guest patch
Not so much a ponder as a question! I'm not ready to take part in a class yet, but as my instructor is on his way back from crufts (he was judging the flyball), can anyone tell me if I will be allowed to carry Sidney's ball while doing the course? I've been training him with it (ball obcessed that one!) and want to know if I have to faze it out at some point (not looking forward to trying that!!!)

You can carry it in training, it can be very useful to have something as a lure for some dogs when they are first learning, but a good instructor will help you phase it out at some point as you are not allowed to carry it *in the hand* in competition [ if you choose to compete that is ].

If you find your dog does`nt do so well without a visual toy, it is certainly possible to work on signals which have the dog *think* you have something with you but if you go that route, make sure you have quick access to it when you have left the ring [ be it the training course / exercise or a comp ring ], or the dog won`t be `fooled` for long :wink: [ and if at competitions, without it being something thrown as soon as you have left the ring as it could be very unfair on the next dog running or on those queiung near by whose owners have carefully calmed and focused their dogs ready for their run ].

But of course, if you can get the focus on you rather than the ball for agility, thats the ideal, and your trainer should be able to help with that as you go on so that the ball is not a permanent dependency [ or treats where applicable ] :)