UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Incontinent Dog - How Do You Cope?

jax39

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your post bought back memories for me.

I posted on dp crying while I was typing the first time Grip weed her bed and slept in the wee all night. I was devestated.

But I was given advice and got into a routine so as Margaret said, it was no longer a chore.

Grip slept on one of two beds, foam covered with vinyl. I cut a duvet in two (you can get cheap kids duvets) and folded one half in half aagin and it went on top of the vinyl and then vetbed on top of that. Grip was warm and comfy and the wee went through the vetbed keeping her dry.

Vetbed and duvet went into washing machine and i change to the other other half of duvet and another vetbed. I ended up with three of everything. You could get cot duvets from charity shops - they work just as well.

I managed to keep Grip clean and dry until she passed over.

I would confine her to the bedroom at night in a crate - she would be next to you as therefore feel secure.

Himself (resident p*ssquick) pees all the time. He has soaked the beanbag twice and as it's difficult to get dry he only has it during the day until the new one arrives. The other beds all have Madmerle covers (waterproofs).

We do not have carpets and I am grateful for that as it's just a wipe up with paper towels and then a mop.

You could put salt/bicarb on your carpets when you are not in the room, leave for a few hours and then hoover it up - it will remove the smell.

Himself wakes up and sometimes doesn't bother to go outside - he just pees where he sits but as there is no carpet it's not a drama.

Propalin will certainly help. You must speak to your vet about this and get their advice and support.

If I think of anything else that can help I will post again.

Try not to get too upset - it is workable.

Packets of dogwipes from the pound shops would be a good help in wiping her over.

Also vets sell 'Pet Fresh'' one is for the dog removing urine smells from a dog and the other is for carpets, bedding etc.

It's not a smell covering odour - it has no smell - it 'eats' the smell by biologically digesting them.

Edited by Kathyw

If she wouldn't tolerate a crate, how about a puppy pen or child's playpen beside your bed? As it's open at the top she would still be able to sense you and feel you are close by, but you could cover the carpet underneath with something waterproof.

Toastie had a bit of incontinence last year (luckily nothing since) - I found that the human incontinence covers for seats worked out a lot cheaper than the puppy pads.... not everywhere sells them but if you have a shop that caters for disabled people that is normally cheaper than ordering via the chemist.

Not sure what size she is but the Toastie is only little, and it was more a dribble during the night rather than full flow, so I was able to fold the pads in half to fit his bed, then if there were wet bits fold that over on itself and use the other half next night.

As others have said it may be worth checking with the vet that there is no infection there causing it.

When we adopted our old Staffie we knew he was on the way to being incontinent, but as it got worse we tried him out with a crate next to us, we then moved the crate from the bedroom to the kitchen (we have a bungalow so not that far, really) and he seemed to like the idea of having somewhere to be which was all his own and he did not seem so stressed that he had had an accident. I would definately give it a try for a couple of nights and if she does not like it you don't have to force her to use it. You could also try a play pen as I think someone has already suggested or a child gate so that you can confine her to one room and stop her wandering.

Benji started having poo accidents in his bed a couple of months ago which ended up all over him so needed a bath everyday.

I bought ordinary childrens nappies from Tescos and even though he still needed his bum cleaned at least the poo wasnt spread everywhere.

I then noticed blood in his urine a couple of weeks ago and hes weeing more so off to the vets and they are testing for a tumour. With the nappy on I can relax that he isnt lying in a wet bed or hasnt flooded the house out :rolleyes:

I was like you and was feeling very stressed and always worried what I was getting up to in the morning or coming home from work to.

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: cos it aint easy :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

I bought ordinary childrens nappies from Tescos and even though he still needed his bum cleaned at least the poo wasnt spread everywhere.

I was like you and was feeling very stressed and always worried what I was getting up to in the morning or coming home from work to.

I might be able to get hold of some adult size incontinence nappy/pads if you would like me to bring you some round to try? (For Tilly!!!!)

Benji started having poo accidents in his bed a couple of months ago which ended up all over him so needed a bath everyday.

I then noticed blood in his urine a couple of weeks ago and hes weeing more so off to the vets and they are testing for a tumour. With the nappy on I can relax that he isnt lying in a wet bed or hasnt flooded the house out :rolleyes:

What do you do with his tail? :flowers:

What do you do with his tail? :flowers:

I cut a small slit in the nappy so his tail sticks out :wink:

I'll take a piccie to show you.

Came home today and he got out of bed, squatted in the middle of the living room and pee'd........into the nappy :biggrin:

I have some proper dog nappies here if you would like to try them. They were passed on to me by a lady that had a Staffy and she thought I may find someone who could use them. I think she originally got them off the internet. There are about 40 and varying sizes (Medium, Large and Xtra Large).

Just let me know and I will send them out to you if you want them :)

Thankyou so much again for all offers of help and advice. Im really not sure how she would cope with nappies, since having her stroke last year she is very sensitive, and doesnt like anything touching her, the only place i can touch her to make a fuss of her is on her head. But think Im going to have to invest in a new bed, her duvet is in the washing machine yet again!!

Thankyou so much again for all offers of help and advice. Im really not sure how she would cope with nappies, since having her stroke last year she is very sensitive, and doesnt like anything touching her, the only place i can touch her to make a fuss of her is on her head. But think Im going to have to invest in a new bed, her duvet is in the washing machine yet again!!

I know from experience it's a pain to wash and dry a duvet, we've ended up throwing them away in the past (and the launderette wouldn't take it because it was obviously a dog's one) so I don't buy them anymore. I have a number of Kudos beds which have a thick waterproof cover and then just put a blanket on top to make it cosier. I bought the first Kudos bed before puppy arrived in case she weed everywhere while being house trained, she didn't but I was really pleased with the bed so bought two more.

Would she settle in one of those plastic oval shaped beds? They're really easy to keep clean. If you don't want to go down the route of a waterproof bed, you could fill a plastic one with towels and blankets to make it cosy, maybe with some vet bed on top to help keep her dry when she has an accident. You can provide lots of layers and I would think it easier to wash/dry them than a duvet? (assuming you mean you are washing the whole duvet?).

When Sweetie was ill and when the boys had (very) bad tummies, I had a load of towels and blankets on rotate so I always had plenty of fresh bedding to use - they dry much more quickly individually than a duvet and I can get them in the washing machine.

Are you still having to do lots of cleaning of carpets etc. or are you managing to contain her at night? Did you think anymore about borrowing a crate? It's not always as hard to introduce an old dog to a crate as you might imagine :flowers:

My Yorkie girl, Pheobe, is incontinent. She is on Propalin and it works wonders for her. She does still have the odd accident, but not every night, so its not a chore for us to clean up.

Our biggest problem was she hated being crated and loved to sleep on our bed (she really is a daddys little girl). Shes the only one we allowed to sleep on our bed at night and, through a lot of perserverence, she now sleeps by the side of our bed.

I would definitely go to the vets and seek their advice, as it could be Propalin will work for your girl too. :flowers: