UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Australia Bound But Charlie Cant Come.

chococharlie

Hi All,

We have a Chocolate Lab, his name is charlie and he is 14yrs old. He has had all his injections and is up to date . We have to find another home for charlie as we are emigrating to Australia. As much as we would like to take him with us , its just not fair on charlie to put him on a plane that could last up to 30hrs with no food or water. We wouldnt do it any way, charlie is brilliant with the kids, especially our little girl who is 3.

She pulls him about every where and he just plays along with it cos thats the type of dog charlie is. Charlie is 14 now so he is not as fit as he used to be, but like most chocolate labs he still thinks he's a pup.

Charlie has a very good temperement ( i think ive spelt it right) , but as he is getting older now, we think he would suite an older couple to take him through his last yrs, where he can just relax and enjoy life. Charlie loves nothing more than to lay down next to your feet while your watching TV.

We have had charlie since he was a pup, so leaving him behind is going to be very hard for us . He is a part of our family and so we would like to make sure that charlie goes to a nice home where he will be treated well.

kind regards

marknhelen ( chococharlie )

Some more info may help?

Is he neutered?

Are his vaccinations up to date?

Wherabouts are you?

Have you considered contacting any rescues?

If he is rehomed by a reputable rescue they will carry out a homecheck and he will have back up, should circumstances in his new home change and they were no longer able to keep him.

Hi Blackmagic,

We live in a little town called Bourne which is about 18miles north of Peterborough.

Yes charlie is Neutered.

yes charlie is up to date with his vaccinations.

Yes we have tried one place and that was WOODGREEN ANIMAL SHELTER, in Huntington but all they said was that they are fully booked up and that most of their visitors are people who come to find a young dog, and because of that they would probaly have to put charlie down if they couldnt find a home for him.

So for that reason is why we have come on here to see if we could find a suitable home for charlie or to see if anyone knows a place that would be willing to take charlie in.

Kind regards

chococharlie (mark, helen )

Hi, welcome to the Refuge :flowers:

When are you planning to move to Australia? It would be handy for any rescues reading to know how long you have left to find a place for him.

Given that he's 14, you've had him since he was a pup and it's going to be very hard for you to leave him behind, is there no way you would delay your emigration for a few years so he can live out his life with you?

Hi ReikiAnge,

We have actually got to be out there by the end of Sept 08 . We are also in the situation that we are in our 40s and the cut off age to get into Australia with a Residence Visa is 45 and we have nearly reached that already . We have already got our visa's , we new this time would come and it is going to be hard to leave charlie behind.

regards

chococharlie

Hi katieBob

Yes charlie is great with cats and dogs , he is a very placid dog, loyal and loving dog.

We too have a cat , we also have to find her a home aswell, Poppy is 8yrs old and it would be great if we could find a home for them both to go together, we know that is not normally possible so we have to concentrate on charlie more cos i dont think we will have a problem finding a home for poppy.

chococharlie

Have you tried any Labrador breed rescues?

I agree with the other poster that said as you are moving so far away, it would be advisable to find a rescue to take Charlie if you possibly can because you are not going to be around to take him back should a new home not work out, whereas a good rescue will offer lifetime support.

Would you mind if the information you've posted is crossposted? Do you have a contact email address you could PM to me in case anyone can help? :flowers:

Have you tried asking your vet to see if they know of anyone that might be able to offer a good home? sometimes they hear of people looking for an adult dog etc.

As someone involved with Labrador Rescue, to be honest, most breed rescues would struggle to rehome dog of Charlie's age :( Sadly, we just don't get the new homes asking for 14 year old dogs. Don't get me wrong, there are homes out there, but they are just very hard to find :unsure:

Have you actually looked into taking Charlie with you? I believe there are procedures in place with the airlines to ensure animals travelling get plenty of breaks, food and water etc before and after their flights, so not the 30 hours you mentioned :flowers:

As someone involved with Labrador Rescue, to be honest, most breed rescues would struggle to rehome dog of Charlie's age :( Sadly, we just don't get the new homes asking for 14 year old dogs. Don't get me wrong, there are homes out there, but they are just very hard to find :unsure:

Have you actually looked into taking Charlie with you? I believe there are procedures in place with the airlines to ensure animals travelling get plenty of breaks, food and water etc before and after their flights, so not the 30 hours you mentioned :flowers:

Wendy that is very true. When I was looking to move back to South Africa but didn't I looked into this and they are very strict on animals welfare. Cages have to be a certain height, width etc so that animal can move and sit up etc. I believe flights to Australia stop somewhere so he would be taken off the plane, exercised and put back on again. By rules they have to have constant access to water and I believe a water bowl has to be fitted on their cage. The confusion of a flight for Charlie would be a lot better than the trauma of losing a family after 14yrs.

Most airlines are very helpful if you give them a call.

Friends of mine took both their dog and cat to Oz, they certainly had food and water en route. They need to do 3 or 6 weeks' quarantine at the other end I believe, it's not v long.

and, I think a minimum of 6 months has to have elapsed since a dog had a lepto booster (so probably 6 months since annual boosters) to enter Australia?

Is Charlie insured?

The reason I ask is that if it proves imossible to take him to Australia for and he gets a new home, whoever gives Charlie a home could be facing vet bills - given his age. If he already has insurance anyone know if it would be possible to continue it with a new owner?