UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Where To Go Abroad On Holiday

Peachy

Joseph pooseykat would love to go out for the day with me :laugh:

I'm sure they must sell cat rucksacks here too :unsure: It was quite surreal though as it looked like it was going to be a classic French handbag dog, but when it turned round it was a kitty happy as larry :biggrin:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strays are very visible in some countries, but is the alternative any better! In many of these countries that we deem to have "awful" attitudes to animals there are people working so hard to change the attitudes of the people in the country and would really appreciate any help. It might be worth investigating an area and seeing if there is a local animal rescue there before you go.

thats a very good point , equally the reason in a lot of countries that people appear to dislike, fear or even hate dogs is the fear of rabies

Diane ( Helly ) explained to me that in Egypt in some areas where tourists have been feeding cats it has caused a population issue as healthy fatter cats can produce more kittens. I had never thought of it like that but it does make sense and we ( as visitors ) to another country need to be as aware as possible about how our actions impact on the local population ( 2 and 4 legged )

I don't think you can generalise about any country. the UK allows horrific ( legal ) treatment of animals but its hidden in factory farms , equally every week we read stories of awful neglect and abuse of domestic animals

I agree completely.

(I just didn't say anything here because it is an argument that I personally have done to death elsewhere)

I am not sure but I think Peachy meant she didn't want to see animals lying in the streets dead or injured, doesn't have to be hundreds - one is enough once seen and see that same animal for a few days with no-one attempting to help it or skinny and maybe injured animals just roaming about.

I don't think Peachy meant any particular countries stance on animal welfare.

She is going on holiday not a crusade.

Please correct me if I got this point wrong Peachy.

That's pretty much it, Kathy. I'd like to be able to switch off for a week and not get upset thinking about what I can or can't do to help.

It sounds like I'm trying to bury my head and ignore what's going on in the world but I don't mean it to :unsure: :(

That's pretty much it, Kathy. I'd like to be able to switch off for a week and not get upset thinking about what I can or can't do to help.

It sounds like I'm trying to bury my head and ignore what's going on in the world but I don't mean it to :unsure: :(

No, I know what you mean. We really enjoyed meeting the cats in Istanbul, where there is a very strong and ancient cat colony, but it was also quite tough seeing friendly, attractive animals and knowing that probably some of them will not survive the winter because there are just too many of them and not enough food sources, or seeing animals that really could have done with some vet care that they will not get. (the tourist feeding thing I think was also an issue there). Mark could have packed his bags with cats many times over... Sometimes you just want a holiday where you can just not worry about that sort of thing.

You work hard for animals - you are entitled to a break without worry about what is going on in the places you can't see into.

Enjoy your holiday.

I know what you mean Kelly cos I feel exactly the same. I am hypersensitive to seeing stray or abused animals when I am abroad and I cannot switch off. If I see it then it would ruin my holiday because I would fret about it. This is why I haven't been on a package/touristy holiday for many years. The only places I have been to on holiday abroad (apart from Ireland) in the past 13 years are Dubai and Florida, but only because my father lived there at the time so I was visiting him or else borrowing his house in Florida.

Dubai is appalling for animal rights, we visited a zoo there once and it was a horrible place. In Florida I've never seen any strays but we all know that millions of dogs get pts in the States every year :(

Edited by merledogs

I can imagine, Alex. I avoided the zoo when I went to Dubai. Wonderful city to visit aside from that.

Sri Lanka would be good but it's probably a bit far for a week. Saying that, I'm tempted to go back to New York because you know what you're going to get there.

And budge up Kathy, we'll share a room with you in Guernsey...if we're welcome :cool:

You want to avoid seeing animal cruelty, then don't go to Greece! I was there for 6 months, helping out in an animal rescue and I've seen/heard of enough cruelty to last me a life time! Please note that I'm not saying "don't go to Greece, everywhere else is fine"!! Seeing what I've seen and knowing what I know however, I'd rather spend the rest of my life in the p!ssing rain than ever setting foot in Greece again.

Sri Lanka would be good but it's probably a bit far for a week. Saying that, I'm tempted to go back to New York because you know what you're going to get there.

Is New York that good? I was in Boston for a couple of days on business, and the front window of the petshop in the mall next to our hotel will stay in my mind forever. It was just - aaargh, there are no words. The animals were practically blisterpacked in their tiny boxes. Including a mastiff puppy.

Is New York that good? I was in Boston for a couple of days on business, and the front window of the petshop in the mall next to our hotel will stay in my mind forever. It was just - aaargh, there are no words. The animals were practically blisterpacked in their tiny boxes. Including a mastiff puppy.

The only thing that upset me in New York was the Central Park horses in the Times Square traffic. I remember bawling about it as I walked down Fifth Avenue, practically running to the hotel to get away from it all. The cars were far too close to them. I guess in some ways they've never known any different and just accept the cars as being there but why should they put up with that for a life?

Gawd, I'm sat here still trawling the internet for good/bad reports on different destinations. I find it really stressful already :(

ETA that I didn't see any pet shops in New York so can't comment on them. Oh, and the first poster I saw as I got off the plane was for greyhound rescue :)

Edited by Peachy