UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Not Pleased With Some People

tegk68

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only situation which made me think there might be some justification for using a shock collar, is rattlesnake training. I can kind of see that if you live somewhere where there are lots of very large dangerous snakes that make a very distinctive noise, it might be possible to use such a thing to set up a specific fear and avoidance that might make a real difference to keeping a dog safe, and I can see that it's probably quite difficult to make sure that a dog avoids something in all situations without also making him think it will do something nasty to him. It's probbaly more precise than most other ways of doing that.

But most of the situations where people use them the potential for confusion and damage seems to be immense.

The only situation which made me think there might be some justification for using a shock collar, is rattlesnake training. I can kind of see that if you live somewhere where there are lots of very large dangerous snakes that make a very distinctive noise, it might be possible to use such a thing to set up a specific fear and avoidance that might make a real difference to keeping a dog safe, and I can see that it's probably quite difficult to make sure that a dog avoids something in all situations without also making him think it will do something nasty to him. It's probbaly more precise than most other ways of doing that.

But most of the situations where people use them the potential for confusion and damage seems to be immense.

Even then, there are numerous stimuli for rattlesnakes (sight, smell, sound) so you'd have to proof each one :unsure: . I couldn't do it - but then I don't ever intend to live somewhere where there are nasty poisonous snakes :)

Well done, Helen :flowers:

One last email which arrived just now:

Helen, can I confirm to you that we HAVE not & WILL not use said device.

So that's good :) . Thanks everso much everyone again :flowers:

Edited by tegk68

Fab news :flowers:

Well done for going back with reason, information and links rather than ranting, which would probably have had the opposite effect (but been very tempting). You have probably saved a dog from fear and pain for dealing with it as you have :flowers:

Well done for going back with reason, information and links rather than ranting, which would probably have had the opposite effect (but been very tempting). You have probably saved a dog from fear and pain for dealing with it as you have :flowers:

Ditto :flowers:

...and more, cause what's the betting he rants about *these awful devices* to all and sundry....

Well done Helen, maybe he can have another dog if he starts to behave himself :unsure: !!

Yes - well done! I too would rather have a dog that doesn't always behave! they aren't machines, how many of us have done the odd thing several times over that we know we shouldn't? that extra glass of wine...the extra cake...the losing your temper over something silly...It is what makes us individuals and I love the fact that all dogs have their own little quirks, good & bad - sad to read Rudi's post about the dog that became a quivering wreck, I love a dog with some spirit and it is such a shame when training becomes unkind :)

Yes - well done! I too would rather have a dog that doesn't always behave! they aren't machines, how many of us have done the odd thing several times over that we know we shouldn't? that extra glass of wine...the extra cake...the losing your temper over something silly...It is what makes us individuals and I love the fact that all dogs have their own little quirks, good & bad - sad to read Rudi's post about the dog that became a quivering wreck, I love a dog with some spirit and it is such a shame when training becomes unkind :)

Brilliant post :)

Congratulations Helen - it's a very good result :flowers:

I have been watching this with interest because there is a couple in our village who have their terrier on a shock collar permanently 'because he runs off' or something like that. Now, of course, Wales is heading towards a ban so they won't be able to use it and I have been trying to figure out how to tackle this without alienating them.

This thread has given me lots of ideas - I have to be careful because they are customers and I don't want to pee them off