UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Not Pleased With Some People

tegk68

I did a homecheck for this couple a while ago (jan this year) and periodically they get in touch and basically mess me around by saying they are ready for a second dog and then, well what do you know, they're not now due to various things/issues.

Anyway they got in touch last week again, via email, asking if there were any suitable dogs about. So I *sigh* and think OK I'll give this one last go and then proceed to go looking about. I email them back today with a suggestion or two. Then I get this reply from them just now, nothing else, just this:

Right now we're having a few 'behavioural issues' with Bonnie – she keeps running off when on walks & wont come back till she's finished chasing whatever she's scented…very naughty! & spoiling a good walk. So come this weekend, when we have more time she'll be into intensive therapy.. using a remote collar,..

:huh:

I'm not sure what to write back. Well I know what I'd like to say...over my dead body am I putting you forward for a dog etc etc but I'm a bit shocked to be honest at their messing me around and then the above, and I HOME CHECKED them myself and thought to myself at the time, what "lovely, sensible, committed people you are"

Edited by tegk68

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They haven't mentioned it's an electric shock collar though have they? :unsure:

There are other remote collars - the ones that use a scented spray, which you can use just with a release of pressured air. These are widely sold. Maybe it's one of those? I haven't used one but I don't think they can be compared to shock collars? I would imagine some dogs (like Sno!) would not like them at all, but then I can't even use a clicker with him nearby as that scares him too :rolleyes: :wub:

I know someone on here recently mentioned using a spray collar for their deaf dog as they could use the collar to indicate to the dog that they wanted the dog to come back - maybe they intend using it in that sort of way <she says hopefully>. Using it to punish a dog for not recalling would make the dog less likely to come back but I don't know how your people intend to use it H?

I would also mention that if they use this collar... as this is a cruel method of Training, you will have to inform the rescue they got the first Dog from(I'm sure it said on my contact I was not allowed to use EC or Choke chains).Dont think the spray collars are remote are they?

Maybe keeping the Dog on a Lead and getting some training may be a better Idea.

Edited by Amie

Good link Jacky, thank you

Ange, fair point, but I should imagine it's the shock collar version as they seem to be used for this sort of thing, whereas the other is for barking/close range stuff....i think. Regardless, they are muppets.

Thanks Amie, I know 'Bonnie' is a private rehoming, so can't follow it up, sadly

Dont think the spray collars are remote are they?

I don't know about all of them, I've never used one, but you can certainly buy remote spray collars from standard pet supply stores.

Ange, fair point, but I should imagine it's the shock collar version

OK, well if that's the case then just take the dog and shoot the people.

Firstly you need to find out if it is a shock collar.

Is there first dog a rescue dog?, if so, I would be getting in touch with them once you have assertained the situation. What an awful situation to be in.

I have been on several home checks where for one reason or another the rescue have turned the people down, but I would be mortified to find this out after a dog had gone to them that this situation arose.

Good luck

:flowers:

Helen, I know it's a daft question, but have you let the rescue know.

no, not yet, as just happened. I will though and get them removed off the database pronto.

I don't know about all of them, I've never used one, but you can certainly buy remote spray collars from standard pet supply stores.

OK, well if that's the case then just take the dog and shoot the people.

Shows how much I know :rolleyes:

ha ha....I like where you're coming from Ange :biggrin:

Firstly you need to find out if it is a shock collar.

Have just sent him a brief email to ask.

How about writing back to let them know that you are thrilled (not) about their interest in another dog, but that there isn't a shortage of dogs in rescue so they have plenty of time to really think about it before contacting again in the future. Then you could drop in a link about the evils of the collar.

:flowers:

Edited by murtle

I would like to give them a slap if they are using such a collar, but that wouldn't help the existing dog :(

In seriousness, if it does turn out to be an electric shock collar, could you let them know how cruelly these are regarded (if they've been to some dreadful trainer they may have been brainwashed into thinking it's best for the dog?) and see if you can suggest a different trainer/they look into alternatives/attend classes/join a good forum (The Refuge :) ) etc?

You could also point out that the use of such collars has been banned in Wales recently and will hopefully follow suit in the rest of the UK at some point in the not too distant future.

There are a few comments about how awful they are on here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7473597.stm (though the manufacturers are of course defending the bl00dy things)

He has written back this just now:

One where, if she starts heading off & is not responding to call/whistle (which is what happens now), we press a button on a remote handset & it beeps her, to break her chain of thought & remind her that there’s humans with biscuits wanting her to do stuff… then the command gets repeated, hopefully with more success!

errr, this is a shock collar right?

:(

He has written back this just now:

One where, if she starts heading off & is not responding to call/whistle (which is what happens now), we press a button on a remote handset & it beeps her, to break her chain of thought & remind her that there's humans with biscuits wanting her to do stuff… then the command gets repeated, hopefully with more success!

errr, this is a shock collar right?

:(

Shock collars have an audible warning signal, but so do spray collars...

Edited by Rudi

Shock collars have an audible warning signal, but so do spray collars...

OK, I've asked him to clarify which.

I'm beginning to think he should go and buy the shock collar and then let me come round and demonstrate how it works by having him stick it up his *rse.