UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Our Big Fat Greek Walk

BillyMalc

Thanks to a very kind, lovely couple and their equally lovely Greek rescue dog Marro (sp??) me n Mal finally made it to the annual Greek Animal Rescue (GAR) walk in north London - it's not half a trip for a walk in the park I tell ya!

I was really looking forward to seeing Mal meeting Vesna (the founder of GAR) again, after 7 years. She has been aware of all of Mal's health problems and has been great with loads of advice and support. :flowers:

I was also looking forward to finally meeting Paul (Loader, the guy who ran a marathon for the Oldies Club - top geeza!) and his partner Titch, who were the main volunteers at this particular shelter before it closed. Paul also accompanied the transport that Mal was on. They have 5 Greek rescue dogs, one of which is Mal's old kennel mate Zorba, and of course I really wanted to meet him again as well. Zorba is kind of the reason I fell in love with Mal, but that's another story :laugh:

The meeting was really well attended, by about 60-70 dogs and their dedicated servants, and everyone got on great! The pictures dodn't really do it justice, as I took a few general shots but then managed to delete these again as well, DUH!!! :wacko:

Anyway, here we go:

"How are ya mate? Long time no see!" Paul gives Mal a good ol' scratch:

GARday15062008005.jpg

Zorba, Mal's old kennel mate. He used to be a gangly, lanky lurchery type,but these days he's more like a labrador with a pointy snout! :)

GARday15062008010.jpg

Nelson!!!!!!! :ohmy: I couldn't believe it when I saw him! Nelson too was one of Mal's kennel mates, and if I hadn't fallen in love with Mal first I would have wanted to take him home. He's such a sweetheart :wub:

GARday15062008008.jpg

The closest I got to getting a picture of Mal and Nelson together - neither one of them felt much like posing. Dogs will be dogs when there's treats to be had, regardless of their 'nationality' :D

GARday15062008003.jpg

OMG it's Shep!! When I saw him last, 9 (!!!) years ago, he was a bouncy boy, always wanting to play with everyone. So lovely to see him like a distinguished but still happy, older gentleman :wub:

GARday15062008007.jpg

Lily!!! (now Ellie, to avoid confusion with the neighbours' little girl :laugh:) She was also one of my charges all those years ago. She wasn't interested in my camera either tho, can't really blame her with so much going on

GARday15062008009.jpg

Dexie the dobie, still a bit wary and keeping out of the way, has now, after many years of abuse and neglect in Greece, found his forever home with Paul and Titch :wub:

GARday15062008.jpg

Her Ladyship Marro :wub: :wub: has landed very well on her huuuuge paws with her beloved dad Christy :wub:

GARday15062008002.jpg

All in all it was a smashing, and a little bit of an overwhelming day, which went much too quickly. Mal took everything in his stride, exchanging a few polite tail wags with some of his old fellow 'ex-pats', but other than that predominantly interested in the available treats. And boy was he happy to be reunited with his sofa! :laugh: I still can't get over having met 4 dogs who I've not seen for 9 years and who are all doing so well, and seeing all these dogs so happy and well looked after, knowing the cruel fate that many will have escaped. :(

As far as I'm concerned we will be there again next year!

That Paul is a serious bit of stuff :bigheart3:

Marro looks a wee sweetie.

That looks like a really good reunion.

agree on all of the above!! :wub: :D and he loves and rescues dogs too..perfect??

Dexie is SOOOOOOOOOOOO gorguss!! we need more pics of this handsome lad.

Lokks such a lovely day, must be so heartwarming to see all those dogs together again :GroupHug:

agree on all of the above!! :wub: :D and he loves and rescues dogs too..perfect??

You lot!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I take it you've conveniently missed the bit where it says "his partner"? :rolleyes: And no, she's not his "business partner" LOL!

Paul and Titch are both diamonds when it comes to rescue dogs though :flowers:

It was an amazing day :) I think I was just too gobsmacked at seeing all the dogs, especially the ones that I "knew from way back" to go blubby - if that makes sense. It also helps when all the dogs you go all OMG!!!! about react the exact same as Mal did to Vesna: "oh hello. Have you got food? No? Oh well, must look somewhere else then, bye" :rolleyes: :laugh:

Fantastic report Billy :flowers:

Now how anyone who says that we shouldn't import dogs in need into this country can still stand by that after looking at these pictures I don't know! (Phew, that was a sentence and-a-half wasn't it :rolleyes: I know what I meant :laugh: )

Marion