UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Alternatives To Propalin?

Jacobean

There is a female dog who has severe incontinence. It's very bad. Lots of wet all the time. Propalin helps to a degree but has had some behavioural issues on the highest dose so it's had to be lessened. Can anyone advise what can be done to help this dog?

Dene's greenleaf tablets helped one of my dogs now at the Bridge, Samantha, there wasn't Propolin then and when she was on that she never leaked. Other makes of greenleaf tablets didn't seem to do it properly. It is also good for arthritis.

this was copied from a dalmatian forum( with permission)

Tofu was recommended by a vet.

The natural estrogen properties of Tofu (soy)

is the rationale for giving it.

I don't remember the specifics of the original recommendation of

amount, but here's what I do. I use a block of Tofu and give her

about a 1/2 inch slice off the block per day for several days or till

gone. Originally, she could go only about a month without it, then

start having accidents again. The incontinence has actually improved

with age (she's 8), and she can go longer than a month now, but I try

not to go too long without using some. She is spayed. I give it to

my boy too and he does fine with it.

I have no direct experience of it but it might be worth looking in to.

There is a female dog who has severe incontinence. It's very bad. Lots of wet all the time. Can anyone advise what can be done to help this dog?

It depends on the cause of the incontinence.

If the dog is on Propalin, I'm guessing a vet is involved?

What do they say?

Riley's slightly incontinent - the vet put her on incurin initially - which is an oestrogen supplement. I wasn't keen that she was, basically, going to be on HRT for the rest of her life (she was only just over 1 at the time) and so gradually lessened the dose until stopping totally.

Now I use LBM Solution from Hilton Herbs - it seems to be doing the trick. She gets far less attention from other dogs, very few determined lickers of her bits, and only the very occasional dribble. Not sure how it would do with severe incontinence :huh:

Our champagne gsd started to leak about 19 months ago. She didn't have a urine infection, it was stress induced incontinence. If she got up suddenly to bark if someone came to the door for instance, she sometimes would leak enough to wet her bed.

We used Propalin on a little elderly Sheltie we had with good results, but the gsd has been put on Incurin, she has half a tablet twice a day with her feed. We started on 1.1/2 per day, but now she seems mostly okay on just the one. At least she isn't getting a syrup on her teeth with the tablets.

The tofu thing sounds interesting, as do the other suggestions.

Meg had this: I would suggest Xrays to rule out a physical problem. She had propalin and became dog aggressive within a week. Incurin did nothing: xrays found she had a malformed bladder that could only be helped by colposuspension surgery at RCVS.

She is still incontinent to a small degree but it is controlled by diet now she's had the surgery.

Thanks everyone. All of this info is really helping. :)

When you say controlled by diet Dee. What food is it?

It's not the food (though she is fed wheat gluten free CSJ), it's the quantity. Her bladder has effectively got "loose elastic" at the neck, meaning that it is always open. If her bladder is therefore full, the wee has to drip out the neck, causing the problem because she hasn't got the elastic to hold it in... and hence always being wet. It's the quantity of food - she is fed 100g of dry food per day plus treats (strictly controlled - you can tell when you've given too much because she wees). The amount you'd need would depend on the dog and the amount they burn up and how much they need to remain active - when you consider Meg is a mad hyper BC, you'd think that 100g isn't enough but it is. She looks very lurchery in body and has never filled out like some BCs because she is kept on the diet permanently but is fit and healthy all over.

Dee, how old was Meg when the problems started?

She was 18 mths by the time I'd got a positive diagnosis and that took around 4/5 months... in reality she'd probably had it since she was born but it wasn't noticed until i started feeding her up and watching her fill out... probably overfeeding but i thought she was just become adult. An agility trainer commented to me that he thought she had cystitis but she hadn't - he said she wee'd too much, far more than was normal, but to me the amount she was weeing was normal to me and I didn't really start thinking ummm something isn't right until she was leaving huge puddles on the floor when she was sitting or lying down, and cleaning herself constantly.