UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Tail Docking

reds

Thanks Bernie, this section from that page would suggest that the advert stating work OR pet cannot be "legal" as claimed:

The owner of the dog, or person representing the owner must make a signed statement that, the dam of the puppies to be docked is of a type which can be certified as set out below, the date on which the puppies were born and that it is intended that they will be used, or sold, for one of the working purposes set out in the regulations.

Have emailed RSPCA, phone line is weekdays only. Once I know for sure it is illegal I'll contact the paper too :flowers:

Tails must be docked by 5 days old so there is no way that it can guaranteed that all the pups will go to working homes, nor which puppies, if any, will be suitable for working homes.

I has been accepted, in law, that all the pups may not go to working homes but as long as the bitch's owner can supply the required evidence to the vet the pups can be legally docked.

http://www.cdb.org/awa/index.htm

• 3 weeks later...
Have emailed RSPCA, phone line is weekdays only. Once I know for sure it is illegal I'll contact the paper too :flowers:

Did you hear anymore on this?

I was looking for this thread but also came across this one: http://www.rykat.org/forums/index.php?show...&hl=docking

and in there I read something that implies (to me) that it's ok to dock the whole litter in certain situations (such as the dogs coming from certain working dogs?) but is accepted that some of that litter will not be used for working purposes.

Edit, the info has come from the Council of Docked Breeds so I guess they are likely to be as impartial as the Anti-Docking Alliance :unsure: but says:

Puppies from certain working dogs may be docked if evidence is provided to the vet that it is likely to be worked in connection with law enforcement, activities of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces, emergency rescue, lawful pest control, or the lawful shooting of animals. It is accepted that in a litter, not all puppies docked will be found suitable for work.

So in the case of working dogs such as springers, it would seem that they do have a get out clause and can legally advertise the litter as working/pet if the above is correct? :unsure:

Does anyone know for sure?

Just to let you know that the Animal Health Dept in Pembrokeshire prosecuted a woman who was taking Rottie pups to Ireland and having their tails docked.

There was a Court case and she was prosecuted, her argument being that as she had the tails docked in Ireland this was legal. The Court decided other wise. Now I am not sure whether or not she took them to Northern Ireland if so I would have thought the docking ban would be in force there.

D

J The Court decided other wise. Now I am not sure whether or not she took them to Northern Ireland if so I would have thought the docking ban would be in force there.

D

Docking is still legal in Northern Ireland.

Docking of certain working dogs is legal in England and Wales

All docking is illegal in Scotland. It is also illegal to take pups to another country to have them docked.

Docking must be done by a vet but no vet is compelled to do it.