UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Weight Gain?

cocoa

Hello

Over the last 18 mths my cocoa as put on more and more weight

he gets walked 2 times a day and dose the same as the over collies ( he is a collie )

gets feed less than the over dogs ( and on a low protein food bye CSJ )

he is now about 30 kg if not a little more

The vets keep taking blood and looking for this and that but zip comes back

he is done and is about 6/7 years old

I don't know what to do any more it's so sad to see him like this and he gets so hot

We have try T touch

there must be some thing we can do to help him ? or dose any one have any ideas at all what it could be.

Have the vets done a thorough thyroid test? I must admit I don't know much about it but I gather that vets don't always do the full test (panel something or others) or that they don't always know how to interpret the results. No idea if this could be thyroid related :flowers: Just a thought I had while reading your post.

If any physical issues have been ruled out, have you tried reducing the amount of food he has to see if that helps? Maybe he just doesn't need as much food?

Hope you can find something to help him.

his thyroid has been tested and a full blood work up done

he has 1/2 the food he should ! i don't think we can take it down any more and he gets no sweets or bit of use at all.

he has a funny tummy, gets the runs a lot

his stop cleaning his bum end to, so we would to keep his coat very low round his bum or it's full of dirt

we gets to do some flyball and OB this dog was working C in OB but he just can't do it anymore

but being so fat he can't keep it all going for long now.

Hi

I have a Rottie x GSD who is built like a tank and have trouble keeping weight off her. She also has a delicate tum but I found that James Wellbeloved Senior/Light or Burgess Supadog Sensitive has helped.

Arden Grange also do a Light. I know that these are expensive compared to some but for one dog it is not too bad. Do you actually weigh out his food and not guess it (I am guilty as charged on that one) and was shocked by the different amounts the various foods weigh when using a mug as a measure. Hope that makes sense.

Do you have anyone who has a hydrotherapy pool, as this would give him more exercise without straining joints and it would be interesting to see if he did loose weight this way. 5 mins in the pool is almost equivalent to 15 mins walk.

Have you actually timed how long you exercise him for, could it be that it is not as for long as you think. Sorry didn't mean to sound rude but just a thought.

All the best and hope his waist line is soon trim.

D

p.s. I also had a collie bitch who ate little but was "well covered" and another who looked like a yard of pump water, no matter how much food you gave her.

If I fed my dogs all the same amount I'd have two skinny dogs, one medium and two fat ones. A couple of them get fed slightly less, two slightly more. My lot all weigh between 14 kilos and 20 kilos (and the one at 20 kilos is on a diet cos I'd like him to lose a couple of kilos).

What is the oil content of the food you are feeding him? If it's 8% or less that is fine but if it's more then consider switching food (in fact if he constantly has the runs then I would be switching his food until I found one which agreed with him). Mine tend to have fairly strong constitutions so they've never suffered with squitty bums, but there are others on here who can advise you what to feed for dodgy tums :flowers:

You could cut his food right down to just a handful and bulk it out with other stuff such as veg and rice. I home cook all mine's food these days so if one or two of them are on a diet then I give those dogs a larger proportion of veg and rice to the ones who don't need to lose weight. I'm not suggesting you start home cooking for all of them, but you could try it with cocoa until he loses some weight.

Also see here for some more diet tips :flowers:

It's much lower in oil than that, it's for fat dogs!

we do give rice with it and some veg not that it's help in anyway with his weight

it's so hard if i went on what the food said he would have more than he dose

so he has 1/2 and then rice and veg with that,

as for walking lol well i have a house full of collies we walk for about 2 / 3 hours a day

I love to walk and then I like to do as much as i can at home with training

I am here all day so he's not sat on the sofa all day.

he has the garden to not that he would go out side if he did not need to.

we have call the vet and ask for one of the other vets to just talk to be about it all

I will see what they say, just in case it's been read wrong or the first one miss some thing they could think or some thing new to i guess.

I have to get weigh off him. i will go have a read of the Diet and see if there is any thing at all we have missed

I just don't know what more to do,

we swimming - he goes once a week at the min,

but he has PRA and he can't see that well, so it makes it hard work for the man swimming with him,

getting him in and out and cocoa has been swimming for 2 years now

I will wait for the vet to call back and see what they have to say.

thanks for all the post , we will keep trying

I did wonder if he had an under-active thyroid or diabetes. It does seem odd that he's suddenly put the weight on but I guess it can happen.

That's why I asked if he displayed any other symptoms. As they could be tell tales signs if there is a problem. As you say really if he is an active dog he should be running off the weight anyway.

Deffo good to get a 2nd opinion and ask while you are there if a full check was done on his bloods. I've realised that my vets haven't done a proper check on Issie's blood when they have been taking it and she does have an under-active thyroid! Ask as many questions of the vet as you need to and can think of. You're paying them enough and it's their job to work out what the matter is and advise you.

Please let us know how you get on.

If it does just turn out to be a case of your dog is just not able to shake weight off like others then all well and good but you need peace of mind that you have covered everything.

It's much lower in oil than that, it's for fat dogs!

I can't see anything in the CSJ range with less than 8% oil.

It does sound as if it's not just overfeeding though.

I've never had to have my dogs tested for thyroid funtion, but if I did, I'get the blood test done here-

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels...nstructions.htm

Pam