UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sensitive Foods?

red-devil0602

Poor little Wiggum has a sensitive tummy so we need to change his food, can anybody recommend a good sensitive food that wont break the bank?

So far i have found the following

• Chudleys Sensitive
  • Wagg Complete Sensitive
  • Beta Adult Sensitive
  • Options Sensitive Digestion - Rich In Lamb & Rice

anybody used any of these

CB has a very funny tummy and the only thing that produce solid poos was Dr.John's Silver, I nearly fainted when I saw the price.

£11.00 for 15kls including delivery.

I was used to buying Burns almost 5 times the price.

Am now switching to a veggie diet for them both.

On the subject of sensitive feeds, I fed Pedigree for a very short time when we adopted Cass as I was told she had a sensitive tummy and would have to stay on it. I wouldn't feed Pedigree again though. When I tried to buy more from the local petshop as I'd used up what she came with, the pet shop owner was really helpful and advised I moved her to Eagle Pack for a while and after that would be able to give her whatever I wanted. He was right! She has a very healthy tummy now - maybe that's worth looking into? I couldn't prove the eagle pack was what helped but she definitely didn't need to be on Pedigree forever.

I would absolutley recommend Naturediet but it's not the cheapest of pet foods :flowers:

Sorry, going off topic a little, but Kathy, the ingredients for Dr Johns seem very different to the Burns ingredients?

Dr Johns Silver contains: Cereals, meat & animal derivatives, minerals, oils & fats. With EEC permitted antioxidants.

Burns ingredients are very different I think?. They use meat rather than "derivatives" and they don't use the EEC permitted antioxidants, which are "antioxidants BHA and BHT", which a lot of pet owners (me included) try to avoid :flowers: I think that must account for the price difference.

Both Joe and Merlin have to have sensitive diets Ally, and I find that the best for my dogs is Burgess Sensitive. It is about £20 for a 15k sack and I have all my dogs on it. Mine won't eat Burns, I ended up giving 2 sacks away.

Burgess Supadog is quick to settle tums. They get fed up with it pretty quickly though after a while. I find newbies can have an upset tum when they first arrive due to a bit of stress etc. Chudleys sensitive is good. Mine do well on Burns.

Edited by Jacobean

Joe has been on Burgess Sensitive for over 6 years, Merlin for nearly 5 and not have got fed up with it but I do add a teaspoon of tinned dog food, tuner, sardines, mackeral and veg with it. Joe has a lot of allergies which causes him to have seizures.

He is on Gusto which he was on when he came here and he was on 3 smallish meals a day as he is a little underweight (dont want to rush feeding him up), he has had a poorly tummy this past week and has been to the vets twice but both couldnt find anything wrong with him, so we are going to try changing his food to see if he settles, today he has just had some wet chappie and scrambled egg.

Plus i think his allergy will benefit from a sensitive diet too :wub:

I use CSJ Natural Champ for my lot and it's a bargain at £8.95 for 15kg. Pixie has a sensitive tum and does really well on it. The website is here :)

Edited to add that Ceri will happily send free trial packs for all of the range.

Edited by Peachy

i use supadog sensative on all my own dogs and also use it on any kennel dogs that get a bit stressy or loose while with me. I also found it great for building up the rescues when they first come in, although many do well on gusto too.

if it helps, you are welcome to come over to batleys with me so you can compare ingredients and prices etc of everything under the one roof. (plus its a lot cheaper of course)

If it's just been this last week and he's been fine beforehand then I'd guess he's eaten or picked up something that's given him a dodgy tum.

If you do change I'd start with the protein source, i.e. if he's on chicken then change to Lamb etc. Wafcol do a fish and potato which is also meant to be good. How many grammes in total?

If it has just been this last week then I wouldn't change at all yet, wait to see if it's just an upset from something first (after he's back to normal with the egg etc. of course).

Burgess supadog sensitive here too. for my sensitive labrador it's been great and i have fed it for a long time now. His poops are better, less frequent, less volume, less flatulance. It's lamb which suits him better than chicken, and 16.99 a bag (not that that was the deciding factor, my terrier has eukanuba or arden grange) x

I should have said earlier I do have very picky dogs. We shove all sorts in with their food as well. They will pick that out and leave the burgess.

There is a nasty tum bug doing the rounds in the doggy world. Bracken was very ill with it a few weeks ago. Does he have sickness and/or diarrhoea or is he just very loose?