UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pedigree, Cross Breed Or Heinz

throwmytoy

I grew up with all sorts of dogs, a couple pure breed, more of mixed parentage - I love all types of dogs and would like to have a small oldie of any variety again one day, but part of my heart will always be with my rotties :wub: and I expect to live with at least one until I can no longer hold onto them :laugh:

I've always had purebreds but have been very taken with a couple of crossbreeds I've fostered. If I were seeking another dog, I wouldn't really mind what it was, I'd just want a dog I could handle and which fitted into the household.

I too have lived with all sorts and sizes. Holly is a Hienz variaty plus a few more. As said, temperment is most important in choosing, but saying that Holly chose us instead of the other way around

You will find the right one, or he will find you, whatever sort he turns out to be.

Barbara

Staffies or staffie x's for me. And as there are so many of different shapes, sex, age, size, tempraments (well actually they generally all have lovely tempraments but I am biased) I dont think there would ever be a shortage to choose from.

If I was looking I'd almost certainly go for a Staffy or a greyhound.

When I wasn't looking I ended up with a staffyx, 3 greyhounds and a lurcher :laugh:

Again when I wasn't looking I adopted an elderly Springer Spaniel- a breed I'd never have considered under normal circumstances.

Like Sam who has "squirrel" dogs, we have "Page" dogs. They have tended to be pointy in the main but no breed or cross would be ruled out if we could offer the right kind of home for his/her particular needs :)

Interesting, and I'd agree with Alex and others who have said it doesn't really matter about the breed, as long as they fit into your lifestyle.

I have lots of opportunities here to compare different dogs and I know what I can live with (and some I can't!). I do actually live with my sister's dogs too and one or two of them are not what I would choose - in so far as I find them really hard work! We also have dogs staying here when their owners go away and some of them are pretty hard work too. Funnily enough, it doesn't so much depend on the breed, rather the personality of the dog imo. For example, we've got a couple of lurchers here - one is easy, one isn't. We've had a JRTstay here who was a piece of cake but I wouldn't normally consider a terrier just because they're generally so busy!

I go for dogs that fit in with what we already have. We have managed to match them up quite well we started off with a stray and started from there.

Out of 7 dogs, 3 are bridge babes :mecry: 1 was a purchased puppy. the others are/were from rescues, 1 was a stray- 1 is a foster.

But i do have a wish list of breeds, which are- Afghan hound, great dane, greyhound and a scotty terrier :)

We have two pedigrees (pyrenees and American cocker) and two crossbreeds (saluki lurchers). I never really think about it. I love them all equally and I would just look at the individual dogs, rather than worry whether they are pedigree or not.

Vera

Ummmm just by looking at my signature I think that says it all!!! :laugh: :wink: Anything that fits into the 'Rabble' will do me just fine.

I will one day have a standard Poodle (rescue of course) and would like a lurcher as well at some point, and there will ALWAYS be a space for a staffy x or 2 on my sofa. But personally I prefer my dogs to be originals so mutts are best. :wink:

Edited by JACKYSIAN