UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fencing

depurple1

We have a back garden that is fenced with 6 foot wooden fencing all round. We also have a front garden, which currently has some chain link about 3 foot high, a rather manky, bare hedge and some gates which are on their last legs.

The dogs can't go out in the front garden because of the height of the chain link. We want to get rid of the chain link, some of the hedge and the gates and replace it all with something 5-6 foot high.

Therein lies the problem...

OH won't have higher chain link.

I hate conifers.

Next door neighbour has requested something that isn't solid because part of the fence goes by her bay window and she doesn't want the light blocked.

We have looked at wrought iron (very lovely), but it is £50+ per foot plus fitting and we have 76 feet to replace - over £4,000 which is insane!

Does anyone have any interesting ideas for high-ish see-through fencing that won't break the bank? I would really like the dogs to be able to "help" in the front garden this summer :rolleyes:

Wooden criss cross trellis? If you wanted to, you could use solid wooden panels for the bottom (say) 2'6" - or even a wall - and put it on top of that. Should solve your problems with the neighbour for light and it would provide a safe barrier to prevent your dogs getting out.

i used stock fencing for my back garden :) was still having trouble with the neighbours so i added reed screening too :D you could have 6 ft stock fencing and then a lower height of reed screen that way the garden is enclosed at the bottom but still allows light through higher up for your neighbour :)

have you checked that there are no restrictions on the height of fence you can have at the front.

Sometimes there are height restrictions in the missive for the house and sometimes there planning regulations limiting the height of a fence at the front of a house.

Assuming there are none, trellis would probably be best

Thanks for the ideas people - I will suggest them to OH and neighbour.

Do the reeds spread? I have some reeds in a pot on the patio - I bought them in the garden centre because they were pretty, then got them home and read the label: Height - 3m. Spread - infinite. Thought I'd better leave them in the pot :unsure:

I thought of living willow, but I wasn't sure it mightn't get a bit dense?

have you checked that there are no restrictions on the height of fence you can have at the front.

Sometimes there are height restrictions in the missive for the house and sometimes there planning regulations limiting the height of a fence at the front of a house.

Assuming there are none, trellis would probably be best

I don't think there are any restrictions - not in our deeds anyway. We have a 6 foot solid fence on the other side of the front garden - it's a bit of a mish mash. I think the fence actually belongs to the lady next door, but she's already said she's happy with us changing it and increasing the height as long as the fence is see through.

Thanks for the ideas people - I will suggest them to OH and neighbour.

Do the reeds spread? I have some reeds in a pot on the patio - I bought them in the garden centre because they were pretty, then got them home and read the label: Height - 3m. Spread - infinite. Thought I'd better leave them in the pot :unsure:

I thought of living willow, but I wasn't sure it mightn't get a bit dense?

The reeds Kelly used was reed panaling, and very nice it looked to :) so it wouldn't spread and would be a lovely backdrop to plants.

Willow would be a bit of a beast unless you were very strict with it, you can make a "fedge" with it, using live willow stems to weave a barrier, which will root and grow and then you can continue to weave it as it grows fedge it does look beautiful tho'

i used stock fencing for my back garden :) was still having trouble with the neighbours so i added reed screening too :D you could have 6 ft stock fencing and then a lower height of reed screen that way the garden is enclosed at the bottom but still allows light through higher up for your neighbour :)

We have this around the entire perimeter of our (somewhat large) garden. In some area it is plain, one run is backed by a 20ft hedge, and in other areas there are different plants trained up it - keeps the dog in too!

I'd say this offers a solution for all tastes. Like the idea of a "fedge" too.

this was my fence before adding the reed

DSC01589.jpg

and this was after i added the reed screening

DSC01632.jpg

and completely finished

DSC01634.jpg

i got my screen from wilkinsonplus, it is available in different heights too :) i needed something cheap and fast as if my neighbours kid teased the dogs anymore murder would have been committed!!! hope you find a solution :) oh forogt to say that screening is 6'6" high the maximum i could legally get away with