UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

If Your Dog Eats Snails And You Live In The West Of England Or In Wales

suzeanna

I thought maybe DEFRA would give details of wormers used for heartworm, but the regulations only call for a dog to be protected against tape worms, which is a bit odd, you'd think they'd want to ensure dogs didn't bring heartworm back into the UK...

DEFRA

I thought maybe DEFRA would give details of wormers used for heartworm, but the regulations only call for a dog to be protected against tape worms, which is a bit odd, you'd think they'd want to ensure dogs didn't bring heartworm back into the UK...

DEFRA

from what I've read, there doesn't seem to be anything that is officially licenced for this particular thing, presumably DEFRA would require it to be licenced rather than just effective.

Also I presume they would not be too bothered about importing it, as it's already here?

DEFRA

French heartworm/lungworm can't be passed from dog to dog. It can only be got from eating snails or slugs that harbour the immature form of the worm.

Cycas, I just looked at those links you put...that poor puppy from Surrey! :mecry: her owner must be totally devasted, to lose your dog in such pain and not be able to do anything. I'm going round the garden this evening and any snails are going to be history. :(

I have loads of snails here in my garden, i no longer live in Somerset

but i do visit when I can

have planned to go the one of the wildlife trusts to see if I can adopt a

hedgehog, that should get rid of them..

My dogs had lung worm about 8 years ago when i lived in kent, after they ate snails. Tolly was lucky to survive as his lungs were full. Panacur treats lungworm, easy to take preventative action just in case

Sarah