UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Will You Always Have Rescue Dogs

yena

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have both. Rudi and Koda are 'bought' as I train for schutzhund, temperament is important and it's difficult to find in general :( and also for such an active sport, I want the dogs to be healthy by going for lines with a history of working ability and low hip and elbow scores. I would never say never about having a rescue dog for training if the right dog is there, I'd be really, really pleased and when the time comes for another rottie, I would search for a rescue. If I don't foster again, I shall definately adopt another small oldie and would go for a rescue.

Rescues for me every time. I couldn't in all conscience have anything else. Not when I know how many are sitting waiting for a home in rescue :(
A 1000% 'yes' from me! What with all the dogs constantly in rescue, and 1000's being put to sleep every year because they are "surplus to requirement", I could never ever justifying going out and buying a dog. For me the question will always be "I have a space in my home, would there be a dog who would be happy to receive what I can give?" rather than "I want such-and-such a dog, so if there isn't one in rescue I'll go and buy one" - if that makes sense :)

Wot they both said :flowers:

I'm a funny one with dogs for working. I have absolutely nothing against going to *good* breeders but it always has to be rescues for me whilst there are so many in need of a home.

It is something I have thought a lot about as being 'in obedience' you are surrounded by lines and litters and dogs you could so easily take home with you. There are some dogs who I would adore to have a puppy from or a relative of, based on temperament more than anything. Should litters come up I have no doubt it would be a temptation but there are always people willing to home those dogs. The thing that clinches it for me is that I don't want a dog to *do* obedience with. If they have the talent and they enjoy it then that's what we'll do and I'll certainly train for it because that's what I enjoy. They are above all however, my pets, first and foremost. If obedience doesn't suit them then it doesn't matter. There's lots of other things we can do together. If they have health problems then again, it doesn't matter. I love them for them, not for what they do.

I'm a funny one with dogs for working. I have absolutely nothing against going to *good* breeders but it always has to be rescues for me whilst there are so many in need of a home.

It is something I have thought a lot about as being 'in obedience' you are surrounded by lines and litters and dogs you could so easily take home with you. There are some dogs who I would adore to have a puppy from or a relative of, based on temperament more than anything. Should litters come up I have no doubt it would be a temptation but there are always people willing to home those dogs. The thing that clinches it for me is that I don't want a dog to *do* obedience with. If they have the talent and they enjoy it then that's what we'll do and I'll certainly train for it because that's what I enjoy. They are above all however, my pets, first and foremost. If obedience doesn't suit them then it doesn't matter. There's lots of other things we can do together. If they have health problems then again, it doesn't matter. I love them for them, not for what they do.

I totally agree with you there. My collegue at work spent over a year researching and alot of money buying what she thought would be the 'perfect' GSD. She did everything by the book. 10 months in her perfect dog has HD, elbow displacer (sp), shoulder displacer and stunted growth!! There are no guarantees with nature involved. :(

Hmmmm. I would love another westie one day and I know there are loads in rescue, but if I was ever fortunate enough to have a puppy I would definitely go to a breeder. Main reason being all the problems with Henry's skin - I couldnt afford to go through it all again. I know that you cannot guarantee its health but if I at least knew the parents' medical conditions and stuff....

But yes I'd go to a rescue for other breeds of dog xx

Ditto - only agility in my case.

Pam

I totally agree with you there. My collegue at work spent over a year researching and alot of money buying what she thought would be the 'perfect' GSD. She did everything by the book. 10 months in her perfect dog has HD, elbow displacer (sp), shoulder displacer and stunted growth!! There are no guarantees with nature involved. :(

I can think of 3 agility dogs I know - 2 bought specially bred and 1 from an accidental farm litter.

All developed OCD in adolescence.

The ironic thing is that the owner of the farm pup knew there was a possibility but it was no doubt a surprise to the others as they came from tested stock.

No guarantees at all.

Pam

I'd only want an older dog so it would be a rescue or a rehoming of some kind. Having said that, our first puli was bought in 1991, and if I hadn't raised one from puppyhood I couldn't have handled the next 2 who came to us as stroppy young adults with attitude, and I wouldn't have understood the current one who is very soft for the breed but has a fair bit of "baggage" and worries about things. So I can identify with what Sherlock wrote.

I have had rescue dogs all my married life and have had

some right funny :laugh: and some very special pets

but I have never had a problem with any and we sometimes

have 3 at once :wub: :wub: I would never go any place

other than a rescue for a dog because once they settle in

and their personality starts to shine through it,s a joy to

watch them. :) :)