UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Can Anyone Offer Any Advice

Katiebob

We live in a very wet area. The private road at the front of our property regularly floods (lightly) and we have a drainage ditch which runs through our front garden and through the paddocks at the back out to the woods. As it's a private road, it's not a 'proper' water course and was put here by the previous owner (I believe) just to help drain the water. All the houses on our side of the road suffer with water running off the road to some extent.

Our drainage ditch has been fine until about a week ago when we noticed that it was full - even though it's flowing properly. We've just spotted that our next door neighbour has put large kerbs outside his property and dug channels from the road onto our property so that it diverts all the water that would normally flow on to his property into our drainage ditch. Surely this can't be legal? I want to go and bop him one but it might be useful to know whether he has a legal right to do this before I do just that :rolleyes:

Incidentally, we don't have sewers around here (everyone has a cesspit which we pay to have emptied privately) so there's no possibility of getting the council to come along and put in a drain. The surface water isn't flowing into our cesspit but it is flooding our land.

Do I have to put up with this?

Edited by Katiebob

I'm sorry I have no advice but I can't believe your neighbour just went and did something like that. It wouldn't have been quite so bad if he had come round and discussed the possibility with you first. What a crafty barsteward :grrr:

I hope you can get it sorted out.

Build a dam in the ditch on your side of the property :evil:

Just to add, it might be easier if you could post a pic of it so peeps get a rough idea. Also, you taking pics might scare him into thinking you're taking legal action.

If he asks, you could always say you are taking legal advice as, should you get flooded out, your insurers may attempt to sue him for the damage to your property.

Edited by supafrisk

I dont have any experience of this type of problem, but from a common sense point of view I would not think he/she has the right to do this. Why dont you phone the local planning department to get some advice?

Hope you can get it sorted and get rid of the extra water.

I have just re-read your post and saw the part about the ditch he dug!! I would block it up pronto!

Edited by lazydaisy

No, its not legal and no he can't just dig channels onto your land: in fact if he touches your land he needs bopping. I think though that your access road is private and thus unless there is a management company who manages it there ain't anyone who can stop him doing anything on it.. or to it.. but if he did it on his land and into yours then that's different. Suggest a) a solicitor b) try negotiation c) expect a lengthy argument/court case to remedy (take the negotiation route if offered or you could lose out in court even if you don't agree anything) d) avoid a,b and c and do as supafrisk suggests, but i never told you that.

No, its not legal and no he can't just dig channels onto your land: in fact if he touches your land he needs bopping. I think though that your access road is private and thus unless there is a management company who manages it there ain't anyone who can stop him doing anything on it.. or to it.. but if he did it on his land and into yours then that's different. Suggest a) a solicitor b) try negotiation c) expect a lengthy argument/court case to remedy (take the negotiation route if offered or you could lose out in court even if you don't agree anything) d) avoid a,b and c and do as supafrisk suggests, but i never told you that.

*snigger* :evil:

I was going to be a right bitch and make it totally obvious because if he can alter the road outside, so can I - so I was going to drop the ballast into the drainage channels he's dug :laugh:

SB - This is the same guy who flooded all our paddocks last year because he 'cleared' he drainage channels so that it flowed on to our land = and then came across and offered to clear our ditches and provided a 'solution' which cost us over £2K to get sorted out. I can't afford him and his cack handed methods :mecry:

Edited by Katiebob

in your road i'd suggest your action depends on a) how much you want to get along with your neighbours b) whether your neighbours are of a particular "community" and c) if not, whether any of such community needs to have a swift word with them anyway :wink2:

Sadly, this one isn't of that community, otherwise I think a swift word would solve it :rolleyes: Now the airgun stuff, that's another matter :laugh: