UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Holly's First Riding Lesson.

tracey.s

My 5 year old Holly has been desperate to start horse riding since she was a toddler. We had to wait until she was five for insurance purposes at the riding school.

She was booked in for sunday and had been beside herself with excitement all week. She had real trouble sleeping saturday she was so excited. :laugh: :wub:

Adjusting her stirrups.

001-8.jpg

Showing her how to hold the reins.

004-5.jpg

Just before setting off. This huge grin stayed on her face for the entire lesson and the remainder of the day :laugh: :wub:

007-8.jpg

Going round. She kept asking them if they were going to go faster. :laugh:

010-8.jpg

By the end of the lesson she was making a good effort at rising trot.

025.jpg

She absolutely adored her pony who was called Lilly. She said thankyou to her when she got off and gave her an apple. I've never seen her enjoy anything as much as she enjoyed this.The pure joy on her little face. It made me a bit teary to see her so happy. Needless to say this is now a weekly booking and Holly would like a horse for her birthday. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Edited by dirtychicken
Title edit ;o)

She really was in heaven. I'm just looking at the required clothing etc now. :ohmy: My pockets are going to need to be bottomless i think :laugh: The instructor was lovely and was really impressed with her. She said she a pure eagerness about her that was wonderful.:wub:

We had a wonderful conversation while i was peeling the potatoes for tea last night.

Holly: Mummy, if you've got enough pennies can i please have a horsie for my birthday? *sweetest grin and puppy eyes*

Me: I don't think we can afford one darling. They need lots of looking after, a stable, a field, food, and lots of other things.

Holly *after thinking for a few seconds* Ok, so, can i have a pony instead then???

:biglaugh:

:laugh: Bless her heart and my sister will tell you that the asking for a horse won't stop...her daughter has been riding 3 years now and every day she asks for one!! I made a mistake and told her how much the little section A foals were going for at auction last year (around £30 each) and since then she's nagged and nagged even more!!! :laugh:

:ohmy: £30 :ohmy: You can't adopt a dog for that!!!!

It's the up keep of them i think is the most expensive. Is that right? I have very little knowledge of horses but, i know about the wormers, food, livery, insurance, shoe person etc, you've gotto be talking a couple of hundred pound a week surely. We'll stick with the riding lessons for now. She's allowed to go and help muck out and clean tack etc when she's older if she wants so, that's something to look at.

Edited by tracey.s

:laugh: I know!! You are right it's the up keep. They need castrating (if male) which is just over £100. Feet trimming, around £15 every 8 weeks, wormer, food, insurance (which is stupidly high even though they only cost £30!!)..etc etc etc!!

Plus they can't be ridden until they are at least 3 years old!! :laugh:

Unfortunately Barney in the front didn't make it, he got colic and had to be pts. :mecry: But his half brother Fred at the back is most definately still with us...if you are ever anywhere near Anglesey she's more than welcome to come visit!!! He's a little bugg*r!! He hangs off your coat with his teeth, and is a pushy little s*d!!! :laugh: She'd soon be put off having one!! :laugh: He's not quiet as cute anymore! :laugh:

aahh i remember the days of nagging for a pony. you could tell her that untill she can look after a pony alone it is'nt fair to them to get one. if she can be patient and learn to look after one then maybe. it will give you a few years to save up.

I know that feeling, except I had to nag my parents for 4 years to be allowed to have lessons, I then saved up all my pocket money and the money from paper rounds and my job on the market for the next 5 years until I could afford to buy my first pony. I still have him now - 12 years on!!!

DSCF0915.jpg

000_0147.jpg