UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Much Does It Cost To Run A Tumble Dryer?

laura g

According to Npowers "A guide to running costs" a tumble dryer uses 3-4 units for an hour of use though elsewhere it says 4 units for an hour plus upto 1 unit for 5 hours use (so perhaps once hot it makes little difference if you use it longer?)

A 40 degree wash of a full load, by comparison uses 2-3 units & a 90 degree uses 3-4 units - so perhaps not really that bad

Cycas's dehumidifer suggestion however would by comparison (based on a 100w dehumidifier) take 10 hours to use just 1 unit so that sounds a quite ingenious solution

Edited by Ian

A 1000w hairdryer will use one unit in a hour so an hours tumble drying could well compare with leaving your hairdryer on all day if you have say a 500w hair dryer

I have never felt any real desire for one but if it means no ironing & no dogs hairs I think maybe I either need a tumble dryer or maybe I should just find a good woman :unsure:

theres a advert on telly atm for jml dryer balls, i don't know how good they are.

I tried them don't know what use they were on the washing I had to take them out because of the noise they made, it sounded like someone throwing bricks around the garage :wacko:

I like the idea of a dehumidifier but it wouldn't get the dog hair off.

Will have to look in to getting one though, living right next to the sea its hard to dry thigs at times and I don't like using the TD a lot, I love putting washing out. Only my work clothes really go in the tumble dryer

I like the idea of a dehumidifier but it wouldn't get the dog hair off.

I've got a dehumidifier and although they are good, they don't as you said get the dog hair off (and you have to leave them running for a long time in a closed room to get the clothing dry). I use mine to get rid of condensation.

I love the smell of line dried clothes but it rains a lot in Manchester so don't very often get the chance to put stuff on the line. Even if I do, it goes in the tumble dryer afterwards for a bit to get most of the hair off.

Dehumidifier speed depends on how big the space is. It takes longer to dehumidify a whole room than a small space. I usually find that things are dry after about half an hour to an hour in my cupboard, assuming that they went through the normal spin cycle on the washing machine so are not dripping to start with.

That's coming from a fairly new washing machine - I noticed when the old one died that the new one washed more clothes and left things drier after spinning.

As for the fur, I work from home so anything I wear that attracts hair is covered within about 10 mins anyway. I have developed the fine art of choosing clothes of a pleasing tabby shade, that aren't too attractive to hair!

theres a advert on telly atm for jml dryer balls, i don't know how good they are.

JML balls are fab. they make your washing all soft and lovely, especially towels. You have to watch you don't drop em out the dryer though and the dogs nick em...

Are those the blue and pink things with spikes? They made all my towels stiff and put static in my work jumpers, I've a big enough chest in my jumpers without them sticking to me like glue :(

i resorted back to the sheet things, rather OH did, I have little interaction with anything to do with laundry here :laugh: apart from fixing the washing machine and td when it "breaks"

becomes the victim of use by a man

Edited by nouggatti

I tried them don't know what use they were on the washing I had to take them out because of the noise they made, it sounded like someone throwing bricks around the garage :wacko:

They do make a racket when you first put the tumble dryer on but as it gets hot and they heat up, they are quiet.

I don't really use my TD much, I'm too tight with my pennies. I figure the less I spend the less I have to earn :rolleyes:

In winter my washing goes on the radiator racks, and in summer it goes on the clothes horse and stands in the conservatory where it's usually warmer than the rest of the house. I hate washing lines and those whirlygig things, they give me the creeps.

I hate washing lines and those whirlygig things, they give me the creeps.

I like washing lines. But hate stuff over the radiators.

Guess I'm going to have to do some calculations on the cost. Latest OH-ism is that its the same as the cooker sort of. Fine. I wont cook again. Just tumble dry. We can eat sandwiches forever!!

Interesting thread,I was thinking of getting one a while back as with a one-bedroom house and no radiators I hate having wet washing hanging a round plus it leads to condensation.At the moment I take the sheets etc to the local launderette to dry - £1.40 dries two washing machine loads in the time it takes me to do a curcuit of the adjacent small park with the Ds :biggrin: Plus I'd be really struggling to find a psace to put a tumble drier as well.