UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Quick Question

Mrs B

I will explain why when I have more time, but I need to do some research for something that's happening in just over a week's time.

I would be very interested to know/it would be helpful if anyone can tell me if they've heard of (or even belong to!) NWR - otherwise known as the National Women's Register, and previously known as the National Housewive's Register.

I promise there will be no sinister follow up questions!

This could practically become an RMF topic on it's own I suspect.

Not me, but I have heard of the ICA over here which is the Irish Country Women's association!

Ah, sorry Nouggatti, seems this is a trick question where you're concerned.

NWR don't appear to exist in Ireland.

Yet!

I am finding all your replies v-e-r-y interesting. And helpful.

They say NWR is for "lively minded women" .................. who I can see would probably not enthuse about discussing the price of mince!

And there was me thinking the Refuge was full of "lively minded women". :)

Edited by Mrs B

Nope, not unless it is the same as the Housewives Circle back in the 70's my mum went to that a few times but found it a bit dull.

National Women's Register sounds like something to do with domestic abuse to me, that's probably what I would have guessed.

Mince? mince? Who on earth talks about that? I don't think I've ever had a single conversation about mince pricing with anyone.

NWR is a great place to meet other educated and/or intelligent women. I joined a couple when we moved around for my husband's job and knew no-one in the new place. Topics ranged from politics (not religion) to quite trivial stuff like having one's colours done, although mostly it was the stuff that is discussed in big articles in the guardian or telegraph. But domestic matters and children were more or less taboo. Excellent book group (read a book each month and then discuss) and dining circle.

Not sure that its not a bit of an anachronism now, but formed in the days when women stayed at home with the children etc etc. As I did, and meeting like-minded women was not easy. Nowadays I find it much easier to make friends - if they have dogs they are nice and interesting, if not I don't fully understand their place on this earth.

But it was nice to be reminded of it, and I might go along and see how my local group is. Each one is different, and one at least I went to was not at all welcoming. I notice its not there any more!

R