UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Difficult Question. When Do You Know You Should Rehome?

JACKYSIAN

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:GroupHug: As long as Tiz is ok at home then I would stick it out and use the muzzle on walks, dogs do get used to it very quickly. If she was aggressive at home and you had tried everything then it would be a different story. Not all dogs suit all homes no matter how hard people try but it does sound as tho in this case it could be overcome. Good luck and I hope it works out well. :flowers:

If your gilr is not good with other dogs then she should not be off the lead in public places when there are people and other dogs around.

When in the UK, I lived with 3 staffords (i now have 5) and the ONLY time my dogs were ever off the lead in public is if their were NO people or other animals around.. 2 of the girls where great with other dogs, and the boy was abit of a terror, but I would not take the risk in leaving them loose and then them attacking another dog...if they did it would be my own fault for being irresponsible.

I know lots of people who have dogs that do not get on and will tear each other to shreads they work on this by rotating the dogs in crates/kennels/house and walking them seperatly, this isnt easy and I think it depends on your situation.

You just have to be very vigaliant and keep your dog under control... I wouldnt take any chances.

If your gilr is not good with other dogs then she should not be off the lead in public places when there are people and other dogs around.

When in the UK, I lived with 3 staffords (i now have 5) and the ONLY time my dogs were ever off the lead in public is if their were NO people or other animals around.. 2 of the girls where great with other dogs, and the boy was abit of a terror, but I would not take the risk in leaving them loose and then them attacking another dog...if they did it would be my own fault for being irresponsible.

I know lots of people who have dogs that do not get on and will tear each other to shreads they work on this by rotating the dogs in crates/kennels/house and walking them seperatly, this isnt easy and I think it depends on your situation.

You just have to be very vigaliant and keep your dog under control... I wouldnt take any chances.

As I said in my first post she was on lead (actually a halti) when she went for the other dog and frankly the other owner at fault for allowing it to come near her. I admitted the incident with the man was completely my fault for trusting my usually empty walking place was clear before allowing her off lead. I do keep my dogs under control but as we are all human sometimes we're not perfect. Tiz attacked a dog a while back completely unprovoked and since then I make sure she is recalled and on lead if I see any dogs nearby. My post is mainly because I've explored every single training avenue and in a moment of frustration thought rehoming her was my only option left. (Something which today in the cold light of day is certainly not going to happen!!) With the help and advise from here I've decided muzzling her on all walks, not just one's where I'm likely to see someone, is the way to go.

I don't have any problems in the home, my dogs share bowls, food and beds quiet happily not only amoungst themselves but also with their cats and visiting dogs.

:GroupHug: Jacky.

I don't think you are really thinking of rehoming her if she's good in the house with the others :flowers:

I agree with the muzzle route when Tiz is out and it might be worth going out (if not once a day) maybe a few times a week by herself.

We find ours love their individual walks when we get the chance to do them, we see a different side to them :biggrin:

Have you thought about investigating some sort of pharmacological intervention from the vet? I know it's not a popular move but it sounds like you are at last resort stage and if it means her quality of life improves and YOUR quality of life improves it might be worth discussing with your vet :flowers:

First of all a big :GroupHug: for your worries. I've been in a very similar boat with Kiera (and sometimes I still am), with regards to thinking that she is not happy here etc. That's on a bad day, on a good day she means the world to me and I wouldn't want to be without her. Fortunately those days are in the vast majority!

Last year there were 2 other dogs living in the house, one of who has fear aggression, and after one particular scary incident got muzzled. Kiera has never shown aggression to any humans - but she can be a bullying so-n-so to other dogs - BUT she likes the action, and would happily charge up to anyone if Sparks went off on one. In the current climae I didn't want to get Kiera accused of biting anyone (even though I know she never would!), so she got muzzled as well. Apart from the occasional rubbing of face and 'woe is me' look she just got on with it. These days I would consider carrying a muzzle with me again, just to be sure, because Kiera is obsessed by footballs! Thing is, she jumps on them and punctures them! Imagine the scenario of screaming, upset kids and angry parents - I'll opt for muzzling her thank you very much! It's either that or being kept on lead and I'm sure she rather runs round with that thing on her snout.

If you're like me, and you worry, you will notice that knowing that Tiz can't harm anyone will make you more relaxed as well, which again will rub off on your dogs. Kiera after a while would just stop chasing balls altogether, because she knew she had no chance of getting her jaws around them :)

Anyway, best of luck, and let us know how she's doing :)

How awful for you - bet you were terrified :GroupHug: I think a lot of people will have had that horrible jelly leg reaction when you think your dog might do some damage to another dog or person albeit sometimes a one off that never happens again. I have always wondered why dogs that are aggresive to other dogs can live with other dogs at all, I know there is the 'pack' but I had one foster that was so dog aggresive yet never went for the dog he lived with. Good luck, hope things improve :flowers:

Jacky, have you thought of trying TTouch for Tiz?

I hadn't but that's a good thought! :flowers: I'm doing an aromatherphy course in July which I'm hoping will maybe help with some calming suggestions (for me and her!!) and we are trying to arrange a group session with Jim Greenwood to see if he can help with the agression.

This morning I met my next door but 1 neighbour who has just got a new lab pup, I asked if mine could say hello. Thinking that if I'm going to keep bumping into her I'd like the dogs to know each other well. The boys had a quick sniff and then got bored but Tiz was all over him!! (She did have her halti on!) She put herself between pup and the boys and guarded him from them!! She's such a funny bird!! :wacko:

:GroupHug:

I think you've had some really good suggestions here! I think the muzzle and some individual walks would be helpful.

A session with Jim Greenwood would also be great. I took Billy to a workshop at the weekend and was really impressed. Although I'm skeptical of a ot of people when they talk about status I thought his take on it was perfectly sensible and logical :biggrin: . Bill showed some behaviours which he hadn't done before but which were positive. Jim is also fantastic at reading behaviour and noticing tiny things so I really think he would help you :biggrin: