UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Zimbabwe Elections Tomorrow

tegk68

I predict one of two outcomes:

Either Muggers will hang on in there until rioting begins - which he will claim vindicates him - and then impose martial law

or

he'll slope off and find a safe haven somewhere c/o vile sympathetic cronies in another country and Morgan Tsvangirai's MDC Party will begin to rebuild Zimbabwe.

I don't even begin to hope that he'll ever be brought to justice, unfortunately :( (and wouldn't be suprised for one second if the British Government, behind the scenes of course, helped him find face-saving shelter).

I can't see Mugabe relinquishing the power that he's had for all these years without a lot more bloodshed.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link :angry:

He's not gonna go easily and even if he wanted to, too many people in his government, army, riot police etc have too much to lose and would do everything they could to persuade him to stay. Looks like there is going to be a run off, which he will undoubtedly lose but it looks like it's back to square one.

• 5 months later...
Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has signed a historic power-sharing deal with his long-time rival opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7615906.stm

Not what should have happened but from the very little I know, it sounds far more positive than what could have been expected a few months back? I hope VERY much that it improves things for the people of Zimbabwe, I really do.

I doubt much will change in the short term. I am very skeptical about it all. Mugabe is only "sharing power" in the hope that it will bring in some funding from outside. I doubt he will truly share power and given he will still control his thugs I can't see much changing any time soon.

I was watching the signing on the news last night and even as they were signing the agreement, there was much booing and jeering from the crowd and violence outside as the Police (who are now supposedly controlled by Tsvangirai) were battering MDC supporters :(

There is no quick fix for Zim and I can only hope that Mugabe dies very soon and that Tsvangirai can somehow gain control over Mugabe's generals, who are the ones who really hold the power.

I doubt much will change in the short term. I am very skeptical about it all. Mugabe is only "sharing power" in the hope that it will bring in some funding from outside. I doubt he will truly share power and given he will still control his thugs I can't see much changing any time soon.

I was watching the signing on the news last night and even as they were signing the agreement, there was much booing and jeering from the crowd and violence outside as the Police (who are now supposedly controlled by Tsvangirai) were battering MDC supporters :(

There is no quick fix for Zim and I can only hope that Mugabe dies very soon and that Tsvangirai can somehow gain control over Mugabe's generals, who are the ones who really hold the power.

interesting point about his thugs. although i read the morgan tsangivri will be in charge of the police.....and the cabinet.

interesting point about his thugs. although i read the morgan tsangivri will be in charge of the police.....and the cabinet.

Mugabe will still control the army and his private army of thugs, who are so called 'war veterans'. They have too much to lose by relinquishing any of their power.

I understand it won't make everything wonderful overnight.

I think this says it all really:

In his speech, Mr Tsvangirai said the agreement was a "product of painful compromises" and that it did not provide "an instant cure" to the fortunes of Zimbabwe.

"I've signed this agreement because I believe it represents the best opportunity for us to build a peaceful and prosperous democratic Zimbabwe," he said.

and I do hope very much that it does provide an opportunity for things to improve for the people of Zimbabwe.

I understand it won't make everything wonderful overnight.

I think this says it all really:

and I do hope very much that it does provide an opportunity for things to improve for the people of Zimbabwe.

I think what he has done is incredible stong, to share power with someone you despise but know deep down is the only way to get things moving takes a stronger person then many other politicians are or could be.

I am ever hopefull that things will change for the better and the country can be rid of the evil man once and for all. Shame it won't restore things for all those that lost family, friends, lives, livelihoods, homes etc but for the future, some good has to come to them. :flowers:

I think what he has done is incredible stong, to share power with someone you despise but know deep down is the only way to get things moving takes a stronger person then many other politicians are or could be.

I agree, it's the sign of a truly great man. I only hope that he can fulfil his vision for Zimbabwe one day soon :flowers: