UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Meet Kofi

lazyhound

I had this problem with one of my bitches.

What worked was make three balls of cream cheese.

One plain, given first - see nice treat, nothing in it. Also produces saliva in the mouth which helps the second piece slip down quicker.

second one with pill in , with third one (plain) offered immediately, so the dog swallows the second quickly to get the third.

I usually had second piece in one hand and third in the other so that I could offer the third as soon as she took the second.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so we tried the dairy-lea this evening. Gave her a tablet free bit first which she ate and then wrapped some round a tablet. Again, she sucked all the cheese off and spat the tablet out - she has got this down to a fine art :wink: ! Trouble is she is not a greedy dog and is quite selective with her food. Anyway, have just tried it with peanut butter - didn't think she was going to eat it but after a while she did ..... and she swallowed the tablet :laugh: . Thanks for the tips.

Ok, so we tried the dairy-lea this evening. Gave her a tablet free bit first which she ate and then wrapped some round a tablet. Again, she sucked all the cheese off and spat the tablet out - she has got this down to a fine art :wink: ! Trouble is she is not a greedy dog and is quite selective with her food. Anyway, have just tried it with peanut butter - didn't think she was going to eat it but after a while she did ..... and she swallowed the tablet :laugh: . Thanks for the tips.

Glad it worked - lovely to see Kofi again. She looks so much better and I am sure once you have got a bit more weight off her she will feel so much better. I had a feeling they would find she had a thyroid problem, and glad she is on medication to sort it.

I am sure she will find a lovely forever home soon.

Anne

:wub: She looks so comfy in her bed!

Good luck with her diet - 20kg sounds like an awful lot of weight to lose :bigeyed: How much does she weigh at the moment? When Meg first arrived she was 31kg, we managed to get her down to 25, but it was SO hard to resist her begging eyes :laugh:

:wub: She looks so comfy in her bed!

Good luck with her diet - 20kg sounds like an awful lot of weight to lose :bigeyed: How much does she weigh at the moment? When Meg first arrived she was 31kg, we managed to get her down to 25, but it was SO hard to resist her begging eyes :laugh:

Cofi was weighed in at 50.7kg and should be around 30-32 kg :ohmy:

She's gorgeous

I found the trick to tablet giving if the dog won't eat them, not very nice but it does work is to open the mouth, put the tablet to the back, close the mouth and keeping hold to keep the muzzle shut then quickly BUT GENTLY blow down their nose, because the mouth is closed they have to swallow.

as i said, not really very nice but effective and it is over very quickly

I have exhausted all the tricks in the book now and resorted to your blowing down the nose idea ... and it works. But this girl is too smart for her own good and she knows when it's tablet time - it doesn't matter how discreet I am, and I do try to catch her off guard. She is too slow to run from me so her latest trick is to throw herself on her back with all 4 feet in the air! Sounds funny ... and it is funny :laugh: , but I really dread tablet time! :wacko:

Kofi is doing really well and is such a wonderful girlie. She is certainly more mobile now and enjoys her walks but best of all her skin is looking better. Although she doesn't like her twice weekly baths she is very good about it. On the days she she doesn't have a bath, I bathe her skin and then put an anti-fungal power on it - she really loves this. It's like having a big hairy baby on a changing mat! :biggrin: :wub:

We are off to the vets later for her 2nd vaccination and a weigh in.

Is it worth asking the vet is the thyroid tablets come in a liquid form?? that would be a lot easier to administer for you.

Anne

I have exhausted all the tricks in the book now and resorted to your blowing down the nose idea ... and it works. But this girl is too smart for her own good and she knows when it's tablet time - it doesn't matter how discreet I am, and I do try to catch her off guard. She is too slow to run from me so her latest trick is to throw herself on her back with all 4 feet in the air! Sounds funny ... and it is funny :laugh: , but I really dread tablet time! :wacko:

Kofi is doing really well and is such a wonderful girlie. She is certainly more mobile now and enjoys her walks but best of all her skin is looking better. Although she doesn't like her twice weekly baths she is very good about it. On the days she she doesn't have a bath, I bathe her skin and then put an anti-fungal power on it - she really loves this. It's like having a big hairy baby on a changing mat! :biggrin: :wub:

We are off to the vets later for her 2nd vaccination and a weigh in.

Is it worth asking the vet is the thyroid tablets come in a liquid form?? that would be a lot easier to administer for you.

Anne

It's not the thyroid ones which are the problem because they are small and she will quite often eat those mixed in with something - they are obviously more palatable. The antibiotic is the one I am having fun and games with - it's huge. Unfortunately, there isn't an alternative tablet which is any smaller. At least it is the short term tablet that is the problem.

Can you not break it up into small pieces & then mix it in her food that way? :unsure:

Nope :( . Kofi is a really smart cookie. If I break it up she manages to eat everything but the tablets either by picking round them or spitting them out. If I crush them and mix it in with something she won't even touch it - she is no fool :unsure: . Having said this she did eat them tonight with sardines :) .

Good news is we went to the vets today for her second vacc. The vet is really pleased with her skin and she now weighs 47.6kg. She has lost 3.1kg :rolleyes: . She is not a greedy dog, so it's not difficult keeping to her diet. Her thyroid tablets will take a few weeks to kick in yet so hopefully once they do it will be easier to shift the weight ... watch this space :D