UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Strange Question About Castrated Dogs

GSDFan

Bruin was castrated almost 4 years ago.

After the initial swelling etc had died down he has always had the normal, saggy, baggy, ball sack that old dogs are left with after castration.

Until just recently.

Now his ball bag has changed, sometimes during the day it is it's normal saggy self, sometimes it is higher up and tighter and sometimes it is really high up and tight, as though he has the normal pair of balls in it.

I believe it is something which has only just started to happen otherwise I'm sure I would have noticed before. I admit I don't check neutered dogs for testicular problems in the same way that I check entire dogs, well you wouldn't would you :rolleyes:

Anyone any thoughts on why or what or how ???????

I have to go to the Vets next week anyway for more steroids, but I'd like to have some idea of what I'm talking about with regard to his ball bag before I go.

when you say it looks as if he has a pair of balls in it, are they quite low down, or high up right at the base of the sheath? if its the latter, my castrated lurcher has that too..its the locking device which when they are mating, holds things together and "ties" the dog and bitch. If I'm telling you something you know already and its not that at all :rolleyes: I'd ask your vet. Probably nothing to worry about, but better safe than sorry! edited to add: just rolled Dyl on his back so I could have a good look at his bits..he gave me a very funny look! :biggrin:

Edited by suzeanna

when you say it looks as if he has a pair of balls in it, are they quite low down, or high up right at the base of the sheath? if its the latter, my castrated lurcher has that too..its the locking device which when they are mating, holds things together and "ties" the dog and bitch. If I'm telling you something you know already and its not that at all :rolleyes: I'd ask your vet. Probably nothing to worry about, but better safe than sorry! edited to add: just rolled Dyl on his back so I could have a good look at his bits..he gave me a very funny look! :biggrin:

No, they aren't the locking device bits :laugh: definately in his supposed to be empty sack.

Bruin is giving me lots of strange looks cos I have been groping him several times a day for the last few days :laugh:

Jacqui

Just checked all my horde, ranging in age from 5 months to 15 with the 5 month old and el rattus the only ones entire.

All of the eunuchs have nothing, a bit of a sack, but a pathetic bit, but no swelling.

I'd suggest a trip to the vet if it continues.

Any chance he was a cryptorchid? I love that word, always imagine orchids instead of the relevant bits blooming. :wacko:

Edited by nouggatti

ive just had a check over of my 4 boys and all of them have only got a little empty sack that has shrivelled up to a size that would just about hold 2 maltesers rather than a proper set of tackle. Ive even been looking at the boarding dogs and rescues today and they all have what i would class as a little empty sack too :unsure:

Any chance he was a cryptorchid? I love that word, always imagine orchids instead of the relevant bits blooming. :wacko:

:laugh: it always conjures up images of beautiful flowers for me as well. No he wasn't a cryptorchid, he definately had two testicles, fully descended, when I first got him, and was definately castrated 3 days after I got him, it will be 4 years on 23 March.

ive just had a check over of my 4 boys and all of them have only got a little empty sack that has shrivelled up to a size that would just about hold 2 maltesers rather than a proper set of tackle. Ive even been looking at the boarding dogs and rescues today and they all have what i would class as a little empty sack too :unsure:

Bruin's sack has never shrivelled up much, just emptied out -so to speak :rolleyes: It's always dangled down and flapped around in the wind. It would still hold a full set of tackle. I've always assumed the reason his sack hasn't shrivelled is because he was fairly old when neutered.

I'm assuming that it has always drawn upwards a bit when it is cold, in the same way that entire males do, but this does seem to be something different.

Because Bruin's skin is in such a mess from his allergies he does have various areas which are badly thickened. It is possible, I think, that this is just thickening and that is making me notice the 'rise and fall'.

Bruin has been quite 'off it' for a couple of weeks, so I am wondering whether he has some sort of infection, but has actually picked up again now and is back to more or less his normal self.

We're definately having a Vet visit next week for his 6 monthly check up, so I will speak to the Vet then.

It's nice to know I've got several Fugees feeling their dogs scrotums :laugh:

Edited by GSDFan

Yes I really enjoyed checking ball sacks

Cody the oldest has very little there and he is ancient and neutered four years ago ish

I'm pleased I gave you an enjoyable thing to do on a Friday evening :laugh:

Perhaps it varies from dog to dog, I definately know of some old dogs whose sacks haven't shrivelled. The only other neutered male I have had was Smed and he was neutered around the same age as Bruin was when (approx 8 ish) his sack did shrivel totally.

Both my males were "done" at 3yrs, Louie had a poor sad sack left that you could have re-inserted the missing contents but Spud has hardly anything, I wonder if it has something to do with surgical technique ?

But in answer to the question, no, I have never noticed any change either, but tbh Louie was very long haired so I probably wouldn't have noticed, I can't imagine it would be anything too serious, surley it can't be anything cancerous because tumours don't inflat and deflate, and anyway if there is no tissue there what could he have cancer in :unsure: .