UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogs In Cars

Happylittlegreensquirrel

Dogs in Cars  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering all the possibilities from car accidents. I would say the safest way to transport a dog would be in its own seperate crate - not shared with others - securely fastened to the base of the car, with 2 doors also in case of bent cages from impact.

I would think dogs travelling 'loose' in a boot are as prone to as many injuries as those travelling unsecured on a back seat. The force of impact would still be the same and will continue until something stops it, even if that something was another dog. Or what of a rear ender.

And wouldnt a harness on the back seat have to have no length in it to prevent movement should there be a crash?

I have trained my dogs not to jump out until told, but Im not sure how this would hold up in the noise, panic and fright of say, a collision on the motorway. Especially, if for some reason, I couldnt get out of the car myself.

I loathe to see little dogs on the parcel shelf in cars - now that sends shivers.

In conclusion :laughingsmiley: I think theres pros and cons to every way - but until then - Alicia, any chance of a lift? :wink:

I wish everyone safe and easy travelling. xxx

And wouldnt a harness on the back seat have to have no length in it to prevent movement should there be a crash?

I have been hit twice in the past and my dogs were safe in their harnesses on the back seat, none came through between the front seats because their leads weren't long enough although long enough to move round. None had any injuries.

I have trained my dogs not to jump out until told, but Im not sure how this would hold up in the noise, panic and fright of say, a collision on the motorway. Especially, if for some reason, I couldnt get out of the car myself.

unfortunately dogs panic when in an accident and if Joe had been free both times he would have gone. Dixie, Tommy and Joe, who still does it, never attempt to get out of the car until they are told to normally, in fact, the only 2 dogs that try to jump out now is the oldest, Gracie, and the youngest, Tilly, Tilly is very much improved. Gracie is a law unto herself :laugh:

Mine are in crates, Cecil and Jumble in the big one and poopaws git face Jack in the other. Jack would probably fit in with the others two as we don't go far but he's horrid and would cause a scrap. :unsure: Jack's crate is handy though as my mobility scooter fits nicely on top of him! Everthing is secured to tie down loops on the insides of the Berlingo.

Holly has a harness attacked to the seat belt on the back seat of the car and a seat in the camper van. This sort of harness saved my previous dogs life when our old camper van turned upside down on the A1.She lived another two years after the accident. The first thing I bought Holly when we got her was a harness that fitted. She never travels anywhere without it on, even the shortest journeys, you never know when something will happen,

Barbara

My 2 travel behind a dog guard. They wear harnesses with the lead attached to a metal bit at the side of the car.(it's not a D ring) My real worry, is if I am rear ended again. Only hit at 5-10mph last time and the back end stoved in. Luckily the dogs weren't in the car at the time and the dog food survived!!

My dogs travel in the boot behind a proper installed dog guard although this can vary. If me and Paddy go out on our own he sits in the passenger footwell. Nearly all fosters go in the boot as well with a few exeptions. Dolly was a bit scared so she cuddled with Kasey. And once picked up a greyhound from the vet that had been badly abused and wouldnt get in the boot so I sat in the back with her while Kris drove.

Keira without doubt would chew through a harness.

Sorrel travels with a harness attached to a seat belt. In OH's car this is on the back seat and she would much prefer to be without the harness, but is now used to it and can lie across the back seat in the same position as she would without a harness. My car is a 2 seater sporty number, and at first she wasn't keen on being in the front seat, but is getting better. I put a bean bag in the seatwell that is the same height as the seat (I don't care about my street cred, just want my girl to be comfy!), so she can lie down with her chin on it (she is still in her harness). My car is a convertible and she prefers it in the Summer when the lid is down...she doesn't sit up and so doesn't get the wind in her eyes and ears (if she did I'd keep the roof down), but she seems to love the fact she can smell the outdoors as she's moving. Here we are being Thelma and Louise.

DSC00237crop.jpg

Edited by eponadeb

Sorrel travels with a harness attached to a seat belt. In OH's car this is on the back seat and she would much prefer to be without the harness, but is now used to it and can lie across the back seat in the same position as she would without a harness. My car is a 2 seater sporty number, and at first she wasn't keen on being in the front seat, but is getting better. I put a bean bag in the seatwell that is the same height as the seat (I don't care about my street cred, just want my girl to be comfy!), so she can lie down with her chin on it (she is still in her harness). My car is a convertible and she prefers it in the Summer when the lid is down...she doesn't sit up and so doesn't get the wind in her eyes and ears (if she did I'd keep the roof down), but she seems to love the fact she can smell the outdoors as she's moving. Here we are being Thelma and Louise.

DSC00237crop.jpg

Ooh........... is she a Beardie :wub: :wub: :wub: