UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Need To Explode To People Who Understand

KathyM

Kathy, ye and me shall have to make our own clique.

Nobody likes Sky either, because she doesn't go off lead. They think she's mean too.

Maybe we should take Blu along for a romp with Dharma, and see the old biddies weeing themselves in the rush to get out of the park? ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will always put Tyler-whuppet on-lead if another dog appears in the park not only because its quite rude to just have your dog run up to others but also because:

a) once he's spotted them he can leg it to the other side of the park in half a millisecond leaving me to run after him (in a slow and ungainly fashion) shouting "tyler get here" like something off Eastenders :wacko:

and b) once he gets there I don't know the temperament of the other dog and Tyler can be very rude and boing and poke other dogs with his pointy snout, he's snapped at other entire dogs before (justifiably so as they were trying to hump him, but still, best not take the risk!) I know if something happened it would probably be his fault for his unwelcome over-enthusiasm, but I know that as a whippet he'd come off worse.

I feel really bad when I do that if its a bullbreed dog I see, as I don't want the owners to think I'm protecting my "precious" dog from their "nasty" dog, its more the other way round :laugh:

I have to say I have never encountered a snotty dogwalker here, but they're all over at my mum's place, which she particularly enjoys :rolleyes: .

I have two Staffords and I haven't come across snotty dog owners, just ignorant ones, I don't even mind to much the ones that make an attempt to stop their dogs, at least they try, it's the ones who wander along with a blank expression while I'm doing my best to keep their rude dog safe :angry: , I should point out Spud and Daisy aren't ravening monsters out to get other dogs, but Spud especially dosn't like strange dogs coming up to him, if they do he will chase them off, Daisy will then join in and how would that look to Joe public, given enough space they will walk quietly past other dogs, unfortunatly the other dogs quite often want to come and say hello, if it's a big dog, especially a Rottie or a Golden Retreiver Daisy is left off lead, for some reason she loves both of these breeds

cycas - lucky you, maybe we should all move near you! I don't think everyone on here complaining about similar has got a bullbreed though? Although I'm sure that's the reason some are snotty with me, it's ignorance in general letting dogs mob those onlead, isn't it? I don't think it would've been any different had Seth been of a different breed? I'm sorry, I just don't get the reference to bullbreeds in the dogs running up to onlead dogs problem. :wacko:

I mentioned it because you made a point about how someone had warned you about a 'pitbull mastiff'. My mention of bull breeds was nothing to do with offlead dogs, I was referring to your complaint about your particular local clique of 'snotty' dog owners, wondering why they were so snotty with you, and hoping it wasn't down to breed prejudice.

It seems to me that you have two issues here 1) some very cliquey and unhelpful people who sound really nasty and 2) people who let their dogs approach onlead dogs.

I was trying to make the point that some people may be 2) without necessarily being 1). (and I bet there are people who are 1) without being 2) also )

Last time I had problem 2), my dog had been injured, and I was taking her out for a very short on-lead walk for the first time after she'd been hurt, when she was body slammed right on her bad leg by a flying dog (it was a staffy x, as it happens, but it could just as easily have been a JRT or a spaniel).

I wasn't happy about it and nor was Mollydog (who made a drama) but the owner apologised, and I accepted it as the kind of accident that happens sometimes. I have met her and her little dog a couple of times on other occasions, and she seems to be generally a nice person, she just wasn't concentrating on her young excited dog quite enough on that occasion.

We've always been lucky with other dog walkers also. Certainly in our locality, we've never encountered any problems at all. When we've been on hols etc, again everything has been fine.

When Ruby was a pup, her recall was problematic for us, and she did run up to other dogs. Where possible, we always tried to second guess her and recall her / put her lead on etc before she had the chance to shoot off.

However, if she beat us to it, then we would ALWAYS endeavour to call her back, go after her, remove her from the situation etc - whatever was necessary. And ALWAYS we'd apologise to the other dog owner.

We don't seem to encounter cliques here per se. We do vary our walks though so maybe we just don't get to see the same faces so very often ? During the summer months we do see more people on the local green and then you do bump into the same faces, and we are now friendly with some but that wouldn't be to the exclusion of others. It's a shame some people can make others feel so bad - so I do feel for you KathyM :flowers:

Mistakes happen, but I generally have found that as long as the other party is seen to be trying their best to recover from the mistake - then we've been ok.

I wasn't happy about it and nor was Mollydog (who made a drama) but the owner apologised, and I accepted it as the kind of accident that happens sometimes. I have met her and her little dog a couple of times on other occasions, and she seems to be generally a nice person, she just wasn't concentrating on her young excited dog quite enough on that occasion.

However, if she beat us to it, then we would ALWAYS endeavour to call her back, go after her, remove her from the situation etc - whatever was necessary. And ALWAYS we'd apologise to the other dog owner.

I can't speak for anyone else but if a dog runs up to mine either playfully or otherwise and the owner is right behind the dog collecting it and apologising then that makes all the difference to me. Occasional mistakes happen and with an apology are accepted and forgiven.

I can't speak for anyone else but if a dog runs up to mine either playfully or otherwise and the owner is right behind the dog collecting it and apologising then that makes all the difference to me. Occasional mistakes happen and with an apology are accepted and forgiven.

Me too.