UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Giving Up Smoking For New Year

KathyM

:huh: are you lot gonna shout when i visit with fags, booze and cake? :laugh:

Good luck... when i gave up smoking it was the shock and hypocrisy i felt at watching my uncle die of cancer... i was smoking to relieve the stress. I gave up overnight.

I managed it for 3 years, and probably smoke more now than i did then, and really am not mentally prepared to give up again at the moment but I do so admire you all for giving it a really good go - best of luck, I'm sure you'll do it :flowers:

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and me both :laugh: :flowers:

Tomorrow is my giving up day. I'm getting a bit worried :unsure:

don't think of it as giving up ( at that makes you mentally feel deprived and that smoking is really good and you are missing out )

think of it as choosing not to , not wanting to , something along those lines so you are not deprived but instead positively choosing not to smoke and gaining loads of nice stuff like health, money , non smelly clothes etc

when the Allan Carr book arrives all that will make sense, in fact he advises you to continue smoking whilst you read the book ( as long as you don't take 8 years to finish it ) so if you really want to to do it his way ( and it works ) then wait the extra day until it arrives

in case anyone is wondering why I am a smoker and yet used this method before I will explain

I gave up easily with his book in 2004 and was still smoke free a year later , with no cravings , regrets or anything like that. I never thought of smoking and if I did it was "thank f*** I don't do that any more" I hated the smell and avoided people who smoked and smoky places , I was 100 % a non smoker

that was until July Th 2005, it was such a shock and totally unreal environment that I found myself in that despite the fact I was a non smoker I started to smoke again , there were a number of reasons really , smokers were allowed to stand outside once every few hours for a break , it was a distraction as talking about things like "who has the matches" or "can I cadge a fag " was far more normal that the rest of my day and also as the smell of smoke on oneself ( and its very noticeable if you have not smoked for a long while ) masked other stuff

I never really got round to wanting to quit again made a few half hearted attempts but never read the book again because deep down I knew it would work and I did not want to give up ( which I know is mad but thats the mind of someone who thinks they are a drug addict ! )

anyway I woke up this morning and I have decided that I want to be the person I was when I woke up on July 7th 2005 and that person is a non smoker

Wendy I have a CD of the book as well if you would like to borrow it ( can be played in the car or on your ipod )

Thanks Sam :flowers:

Ages ago I decided I wanted to give up, but first I needed to lose weight and knew that trying to do both at the same time would be impossible for me. But, I've only got about another stone to lose and I am telling myself that if I can go without food for months, then I can go without smoking.

The other reasons for me are that I just can't afford it, I dont really enjoy it anymore and I know that me and my house stink of fags. At one time my house used to be nice, but now its just nicotine stained :(

Before I went on the diet, I talked myself into it for a few months beforehand, and I think having thought about giving up for some months in some ways its me talking myself into not smoking.

Good luck guys!! Wendbert if you can get youself an account of something to transfer the saved money into, even a % of it and then work towards a special wendbert treat!!! It should help the looking forward to something, rather then feeling like you can't have something feeling....(If that makes sense....)

Good luck to you all :GroupHug:

I stopped in Nov 2006 for the third and last time.

My mum died a terrible death on the 10th march 2007 from lung cancer she was riddled in most of her body. She was still having a puff after using a ventilator could be said too late then but she was only 70. I gave up for myself and was told dont know how true it is that you can only give up for yourself and not for anyone else?

I am a stone over weight and very depressed about it at the moment which was the reason I started smoking the second time I stopped :wacko: But reading about Wendy and Julie and seeing there photos has really helped because it is not a lot when I see what they have done.

I wish you all the luck in the world with stopping smoking to all who are doing it :liebe94:

:huh: are you lot gonna shout when i visit with fags, booze and cake? :laugh:

Not me!

I still need my bit of passive smoking too much :biggrin:

My friends who smoke may well have found that I've visited them far more frequently during the past few months!...........it beats the hell out of getting a smack in the mouth from a stranger I've been walking behind, sniffing deeply :rolleyes:

Good luck everyone, and if you find yourself struggling like hell, give me a shout 'cause I still know exactly where you're coming from! :wink:

so its night time ( which is generally when I smoke ) and i keep getting a spilt 2nd thought that its time for a fag followed by another thought that reminds me that I don't smoke

I think I have drunk more tea that normal this evening and have kept my hands busy sorting out loads of music for my ipod

so far so good

I am not craving but I do have a sort of empty feeling in my tummy, if I remember correctly from my Allan Carr Book ( have ordered a new one ) this is the nicotine monster rattling his chains and if I c*** a deaf un to him in a few days he gets all weak and wobbly and then drops dead ( Hoorah )

I think Mr Carr may have been a bit more eloquent but its something like that

I am still here and I am still smokefree. I'm so beyond angry it's unbe-flahooping-believable, but I've not had a fag. I could murder one, but I haven't.

Course don't know how long this is going to last when I've been volunteered for sleeping downstairs because HE's finding it hard to sleep. HE is. Him that's had fags all day, got a bit of a cough and set Dharma off barking.

Will someone come and tell him that the more you blow your nose (and the more dramatically each time) the worse it runs? Man flu's stolen my drama. :mad:

Forgot to say - I did stop eating. When I was close to explosion. It's chewing gum now.

How are you two feeling? :GroupHug: