UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Giving Up Smoking For New Year

KathyM

Good luck to you all. I gave up eighteen months ago and had one when my Brodie died the following July, but it didn't change anything so have managed to stay clean since. Hope you manage to succeed. I must admit I had the Alan Carr book and when the temptations came I read a few pages and it certainly helped. But I was so lucky as my GP's ran a one to one smoking clinic and the the nurse was lovely. I felt very much as if I was going to let her down. if I cheated. I used patches, but my husband used tablets.

We both have achieved it and are really proud of ourselves.

Now I am going to have to join the 2008 slimming club, as I have put a bit of weight on but I know that I should be able to get that off using more willpower.

Good luck Kathy and Wendy and anyone else having a go, and if you need a buddy shout, I will try to offer my support.

ALison

:GroupHug:

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kathy i have a few weeks of the patches that i don't need and 3 boxes of chewing gum, i can send it to you if you want it?

I stopped 3 weeks ago (will be tomorrow) and i too have tried lots of times before. I've used Champix this time and its worked brilliantly for me but i still just think about getting through each day and they soon add up. I know i will never smoke again and that is a different feeling to how its been before, when i get a craving i know i'm not going to smoke so i do something until it passes whereas before i would give in if the craving was too strong.

Good luck :)

Oh my God, that would be amazing - can you not get money back for them though as they're expensive? :flowers: It sounds like you're doing really well, you must be dead proud!

It's 12:16pm and I have not caved yet. Thank you ALL so much for your support. I've had a few moments where I've subconsciously gone "Time for a fag" in my head, and they've been the hardest bit so far, but they pass. Thank you, all of you! :GroupHug:

I've stopped smoking a good 6 years ago, after having smoked for most of the 20 years before then, sometimes a few day, sometimes a packet a day. I thought that saying "I don't smoke", either to someone who'd ask for a light or offer me a ciggie, or even to myself when I looked at the cigarette stand in the shops, really helped :)

This might not be for everyone, but I also found the gym in that time, and I worked out every day like a loon. Feeling really fit and healthy afterwards also made me not want to spoil that feeling by lighting up. I can honestly say that I don't have any cravings whatsoever now. My mum is staying with me at the moment and she smokes. She's not allowed to smoke inside the house though, so smokes outside on the porch. The smell of it makes me feel sick.

Good luck to everyone who wants to stop smoking, I'll be happy to give support to anyone who wants it! :flowers: :flowers:

I got up ( late ) this morning and decided that I don't want to be a smoker any more

for weeks the smell of it has been turning my stomach ( good sign from the sub conscious I think ) and I just don't want to any more

I gave up a few years ago for a whole year after reading the Allan Carr Books but on July 7th 2005 I started again and never really got round to stopping again

bugger me I am on a diet and not smoking, I am going to be a right barrell of laughs for the next few weeks :huh:

Good luck Sam! :GroupHug:

Chris (eldest, 12) is being overly "helpful" (you know what I mean - when it gets fecking irritating) - all the kids keep waving boxes of chocolates in my face saying "This'll help mum". There isn't a smiley for an axe murderer is there? :laugh:

For those quitting heres a Quit Meter to help give you some encouragement :flowers:

These are my stats now :ohmy:

I have been quit for 2 Years, 7 Months, 2 Days, 17 hours, 30 minutes and 11 seconds (946 days)

I have saved £4,733.63 by not smoking 18,934 cigarettes :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I have saved 2 Months, 4 Days, 17 hours and 50 minutes of my life

My Quit Date: 29/05/2005 19:33

Oh my God, that would be amazing - can you not get money back for them though as they're expensive? :flowers: It sounds like you're doing really well, you must be dead proud!

It's 12:16pm and I have not caved yet. Thank you ALL so much for your support. I've had a few moments where I've subconsciously gone "Time for a fag" in my head, and they've been the hardest bit so far, but they pass. Thank you, all of you! :GroupHug:

I'm nipping out shortly but will have a look later this afternoon and let you know exactly what there is and you can say what you want or not :flowers:

Thank you so much Jemimap :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Godin - have set one of those doodahs up, thanks for the link. :biggrin: Was checking out what I would be saving and it's amazing. Scary eh?! Well done for your achievement! :flowers:

Edited by KathyM

Well done and good luck to everyone who is trying or has given up :rolleyes:

If any of you are using patches, they can make your skin sweaty and a bit itchy underneath the patch sometimes, to prevent this- when you open the patch and remove the backing, waft it in the air for a couple of seconds to dry it off a bit, it will then feel more comfortable :rolleyes:

I'm giving up at the end of this week because I know giving up on the 1st (for me) is hopeless! I want to try to get an appointment with the smoking advisor at our docs (I'm keen to try the Champix route) and I won't be able to get there til Friday. :rolleyes: And it gets better - I will not be drinking after this weekend for January either cos I'm going on holiday on 1st Feb and need to lose some weight fast - and as I don't eat much anyway, it must be down to the alcohol :laughingsmiley: . I can see that I'm also going to be fun to be around :ohmy:

Edited by Katiebob