UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A New Diet Thread For 2008

Wendbert

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Julia, I've always felt that BMI was flawed. I'm bigger on the hips and shoulders, although by comparison, my waist is tiny, to typical hourglass shape.

My hips will always be this wide, expcept now i can feel the hip bone rather than loads of fat :laugh:

I told my Cambridge lady at the beginning, I didn't care what my BMI was, so long as I was a healthy, in proportion size 12-14. I'd rather be curvy than a bean pole (not that a bean pole is likely for me :laugh: )

I think you look fab :flowers:

Thanks Wendy :flowers: I will always have big boobs and I want to stay in proportion, I don't want to be a beanpole either. I have saggy skin around my tummy area which will always be there but I keep feeling my hip bones and wondering when they grew there, couldn't feel them before :laugh: :laugh:

You look fab too, Wendy :biggrin: You look like you weigh less than you actually do :flowers:

If you've got a bit to lose, you'll most likely be put on sole source anyway. The way it works is that you have enough calories, vitamins, minerals etc that your body needs to function and you then burn off the fat. Drinking the 2.5 ltrs of water stops you dehydrating and the idea is to get to 'ketosis' which is effectively wee'ing out the fat.

The first few days aren't easy as your body will crave carbs and protein etc. I felt rough as hell up until the first week was over, but it does work if you stick with it. I felt light headed, felt sick, tired etc. Don't think, I'll eat like a pig the day before you start as your body will just crave food all the more.

After the first week or so, I was surprised by how good I felt. I had more energy and wasn't being 'slowed down' by heavy foods. I seem to remember that in the first week, you have milkshakes only, but after that you can have the foodbars so you get to chew things again!

I'm not keen on the soups so just stick to the sweet drinks, so when you get your first packs, get a selection. I usually have chocolate, strawberry or cappucino which although boring, I know I like those flavours :laugh:

Good luck :flowers:

Well done everyone. :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

I can't weigh myself but my work trousers do feel looser...and my jodphurs yesterday were driving me mad cos they kept falling down...so that's a positive. I'm perfectly happy to be a size 12/14 cos I'm a curvey bird too so would look silly any less. The only time I was smaller than a 12 was when I lived in Israel and I was doing manual work and eating a huge lunch and tiny dinner, (and having a siesta...it's just so the way we should be living!!) and my body just liked that way of life and I ate like a horse but stayed a great size (and very sun tanned as well!!)

:rolleyes: Oh well can't have everything can we!!!

I think BMI is a guide as indeed are clothes sizes and things like height and your frame also factor

For example I am 5'7

my largest clothes size was a size 18 and I weighed just under 13 stone ( this was when I was made redundant ) I will try and find a picture to illustrate what I look like at size 18

I am currently around 11 and half stone and I wear a size 14 ( bottom ) and 16 top

when I came back from Sri Lanka the first time I weighed about 11 stone and I still wore a 14 bottom and 16 top but every thing hung better

about 11 years ago I was between 9 and 9 half stone and I don't ever remember buying anything in a size 12 ever and I am sure my smallest size was a 14 ( may have been a small 14 but it was a still a 14 )

so for me a weight target is a good idea and floats my boat for some one else it might be a clothes size or BMI

Way i look at it, we all know what size/shape we want to be, and a healthy smaller size while still keeping in proportion is in my opinion better than being the right mark on some chart.

These BMI ranges etc are too generic and don't take into account body shape or skeletal frame. Whoever devised BMI probably needs shooting :laugh: :rolleyes:

Way i look at it, we all know what size/shape we want to be, and a healthy smaller size while still keeping in proportion is in my opinion better than being the right mark on some chart.

These BMI ranges etc are too generic and don't take into account body shape or skeletal frame. Whoever devised BMI probably needs shooting :laugh: :rolleyes:

My OH agrees with you :) He thinks BMI is a load of rubbish and he doesn't use it with his athletes.

I was always unsure of BMI, does anyone find the fat% scales/hand held things any good? I was thinking of gettign soething like that cos I am very muscular from all the horsey stuff I do and I think I would look ill if I weighed 9stone which is about the middle of my healthy weight according to BMI.

Well done everyone who has lost or stayed the same, and those that have gained a bit - there is always next week to get back on track.

I am really pleased cos I have managed to lose 1.5lb - I have tryed really hard this week, but thought it might have gone out of the window with a night out drinking on Saturday with lots of ice cream cocktails!!! :ninja: :upsidedown:

Mefinks me scales are wrong :unsure: They claim I've lost 6 pounds in a day :wacko: I shall take my weight with a pinch of salt until I buy some new ones :rolleyes:

Mine vary by 5 - 6 pounds per day. I will be 8 5ish in the morning and 8 10ish by bedtime. I don't usually weigh myself that often :laugh: I have been over the past week or so cos I was suspicious about the scales. 'How could I change that much over night?' I thought. So I kept doing it and sure enough my weight does vary by 5 -6 pounds. Every morning I weight 5- 6 pounds less than I did when I went to bed :unsure: (I haven't been wetting the bed I promise :laugh: )

I was always unsure of BMI, does anyone find the fat% scales/hand held things any good? I was thinking of gettign soething like that cos I am very muscular from all the horsey stuff I do and I think I would look ill if I weighed 9stone which is about the middle of my healthy weight according to BMI.

I used to like the ones that I used to use at the gym a couple of years ago. They were posh ones made by Tanita :) We have a cheapy pair from Lloyds pharmacy and I'm not convinced by them to be honest. Get on it one minute and I am 25 summat. Get on em again 2 mins later and I am 27 summat (once again testing them out cos it seems wrong).

I guess it is just that the accuracy of the result can vary by a couple of % each time... which isn't much use to me since I'm only trying to make a small change of around 5%. On a Thursday night when I take my proper measurement it really is hard to tell if my exercise has made any difference.