UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Couple Of Staffie Pup Questions

Abigailj

Hello

Is it normal for two 14 week staffie pups (one dog and one bitch) to play almost constantly and so hard that they draw blood?

Also if one of said pups is very thin in the belly area but looks temporarily full just after eating, would that indicate worms?

Edited by Abigailj

As for playing hard, staffies are known to be full on when it comes to play and it might just be that these two haven't learned how hard they can bite and there might be teething. What is their story? And more importantly where are pictures and why do you have 2 staffy puppies :biggrin: :biggrin:

As for the belly, Ruby does look 'full tum like worms' after her dinner, Snatch doesn't. It can't harm to worm them both to be on the safe side.

Cindy

Yes it is normal for 2 pups to play like this. They normally learn not to be so rough with each other by squealing when bitten too harshly but staffies can take a lot. I would intervene and stop play when they start showing signs of getting a bit too excited. I also would be having separate sessions with them to train them. If they are focussed on each other all the time they will learn nothing. The owner/fosterer needs to get a bond growing between them and each pup.

Also worm them as a norm using a gentle wormer. Panacur. Think that's how you spell it is used for pups a fair bit.

I echo what Saarossscot said, now is the time for them to learn boundaries etc. I don't know whether they are in a rescue or in a home. I for one do not rehome siblings together.

They are in a home. They are not mine hence no photos sorry. Two people kind of bunk in the same house (which belongs to a friend). They both bought pups from someone (from the same litter) so now these two pups are living together in the same place. One is trained and one isn't. It is quite a complicated situation. Of course the owner of the bitch wants one litter to sell on :rolleyes:

Edited by Abigailj

Yes it is normal for 2 pups to play like this. They normally learn not to be so rough with each other by squealing when bitten too harshly but staffies can take a lot. I would intervene and stop play when they start showing signs of getting a bit too excited. I also would be having separate sessions with them to train them. If they are focussed on each other all the time they will learn nothing. The owner/fosterer needs to get a bond growing between them and each pup.

Also worm them as a norm using a gentle wormer. Panacur. Think that's how you spell it is used for pups a fair bit.

Agreed with Michelle, Panacur liquid 10% is what I use with all mine, safe to use on pups too. :flowers:

Kazz xx

If this issue isn't addressed and fast, both these pups will end up with very anti social habits around other dogs (and possibly people as well). It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me :(

Me too and not just for that reason. I'm guessing one of these people will get bored soon anyway and want rid and I'm worried they might sell the dog on. Even if they did give it up, what rescue can take in a staffie pup at Christmas?

As for the other dog well, this one is better trained and owner has had dogs before but there is a baby on the way so I think there may come a point where they can't/don't want to keep it.

I'm more worried about the other one. Owner doesn't actually live in the house where the dog is staying and thinks he can make a quick fortune by mating her.

I've been spewing about it all day. Happened to see the pups shut out playing in the garden in the freezing cold so I asked where they had come from etc...

Edited by Abigailj

Where abouts are you again? Sorry my mind is a tad :wacko: I might be able to put you in touch with some SBT rescue your area. Also if you are not to far, Snatch could come and 'teach' some manners and I could have a good old 1-1 with the people with some hard SBT facts if you like :flowers:

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...
I'm guessing one of these people will get bored soon anyway

Surprise surprise... bored already. Semi lodger got bored and I think dog has been left to our friend (who admitted to paying for the pup and agreeing to keep it in his house). Bitch is now going to be returned to where she came from. (dunno who that is or what prospects will be?) :(

:( Lets hope its a 'good' breeder where she came from, but I doubt it as any good one wouldn't let someone have 2 from the same litter.

I don't think a good breeder would ever have given a dog to these people (unless they lied to get it) but I don't think they would have been able to pull that one off.