UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Table Surfing Collie

Sherlock Bones

Probably one for Sarah and Paul but for anyone else with a table surfer...

I have a brand new dining table.. now table surfing I know is nothing new for Meg. Only I've never caught her... she's too sly for that. Never does it in my presence, only when i'm out the room or the house.

I suspected long ago she was doing it but the old table had a laminate top so she never did any harm. This lovely new oak table is just that... new, lovely, and oak. And she's surfing. I know cos I heard her leap - by the time I'd yelled she'd jumped off... had 3 days of no surfing. Went to work today, came home at lunchtime and found... pawprints on the table.. and scratches aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! Covered it with a handy noisy plastic dustsheet - went back to work - came home to find dust sheet moved about and only one guilty looking face!!! Now there is no point to this surfing, she can't get anywhere from the table nor can she see out anywhere - I suspect it's an Alpha female thing over Cassie. So, if i cover the table, she sits on whatever is on it and she can't be moved to another room (the only other being the lounge and there we have sofa sitting, window peering, postman eating issues...). How can I stop behaviour I can't see and therefore can't catch her in the act doing??

Please help save my table!!!

PS Meg has toys, filled kongs, bones etc when left so no boredom issues, just sleeping on table issues.... and getting one over Cassie issues

Provide her with somewhere else where she can play 'queen of the castle'? Whilst covering the table with a protective covering that can't be moved - you used to be able to get padded cloths which went under a table cloth to protect the table from hot plates/dishes, which I'm sure would be good if held in place - maybe using those clips you can get for sheets or ironing board covers......

Provide her with somewhere else where she can play 'queen of the castle'? Whilst covering the table with a protective covering that can't be moved - you used to be able to get padded cloths which went under a table cloth to protect the table from hot plates/dishes, which I'm sure would be good if held in place - maybe using those clips you can get for sheets or ironing board covers......

:flowers: There is nowhere else - and she's not top dog, so I don't want her trying to be... covering the table isn't solving my problem though... it's avoiding it... and letting her think it's acceptable behaviour!

I remember reading a John Fisher book about a GSD (who had dominance issues actually but never mind that!). They needed to stop the GSD from jumping on the furniture and anywhere else that wasn't appropriate. Apparently the answer is to cover it with tin foil because dogs can't bear it :rolleyes: It certainly worked for the GSD but I've no idea if it would work for Meg :laugh:

quote:

Probably one for Sarah and Paul but for anyone else with a table surfer.....

Sumfin funny goin on ere........guess who my table surfer came from?? :rolleyes:

Never does it in my presence, only when i'm out the room or the house.

Ditto :rolleyes:

This lovely new oak table is just that... new, lovely, and oak.

So was mine.........until just about 3 years ago when a certain 'Basil' type arrived :rolleyes:

Please help save my table!!!

One of two simple solutions.......

rehome said table NOW

or

Do nothing..........(don't worry, it won't look new for long)

Meg has no boredom issues, just sleeping on table issues.... and getting one over Cassie issues

See, if you'd given Sarah's lufferly bullie a forever home (like we all suggested), you wouldn't be having this problem (maybe one or two others but.............) :biggrin:

Edited by Kaos

:flowers: There is nowhere else - and she's not top dog, so I don't want her trying to be... covering the table isn't solving my problem though... it's avoiding it... and letting her think it's acceptable behaviour!

No it isn't letting her think it is acceptable behaviour. I have 3 counter surfers and I keep them out of the room with a dog gate, one no longer countersurfs and the other 2 are not trying as often. They are allowed in when I am there but because they are not getting the chance to counter surf, they are not attempting to do it now.

If you cover the table it isn't the same to your dog, the surface is different. Depending on what you put on, it may stop her from doing this or reduce it.

Dogs can learn a lot by managing them, and it sets them up to succeed instead of fail.

*very nortily creeps in, snorts, sniggers, laughs loudly, creeps out*

You know the number. :biggrin:

Its not a dominance/alpha thing.

quote:

Probably one for Sarah and Paul but for anyone else with a table surfer.....

Sumfin funny goin on ere........guess who my table surfer came from?? :rolleyes:

Never does it in my presence, only when i'm out the room or the house.

Ditto :rolleyes:

This lovely new oak table is just that... new, lovely, and oak.

So was mine.........until just about 3 years ago when a certain 'Basil' type arrived :rolleyes:

Oi!!!! :biggrin:

Did the photos of Basil on the rehoming page, sitting on the table, not give you a clue...? :biggrin:

No it isn't letting her think it is acceptable behaviour. I have 3 counter surfers and I keep them out of the room with a dog gate, one no longer countersurfs and the other 2 are not trying as often. They are allowed in when I am there but because they are not getting the chance to counter surf, they are not attempting to do it now.

If you cover the table it isn't the same to your dog, the surface is different. Depending on what you put on, it may stop her from doing this or reduce it.

Dogs can learn a lot by managing them, and it sets them up to succeed instead of fail.

That, in theory, is fine - if you have another room in which to put the dog. I don't :unsure:

I'll give the tinfoil a try - but I still think that her attempting to jump on the table is permitting her to do bad behaviour regardless of what she lands on - and quite honestly tin foil isn't going to stop her claws wrecking it as she panics on top of it!

Sarah - I'll call ya :laugh:

PS Stop sniggering. :D

Tsk. Blooming Wiccs turn their phone off!! :D

Stage one (of guesswork) has commenced: Table and chairs has been moved to neutral position in middle of room - no particular view of anything (it also got a polish so was worth doing :laugh:). Beds have all been moved, and made more comfy (how many bits of bedding can you get in a bed?!), including one out in the kitchen (which is too small to contain dogs on a permanent basis but provides a hidey hole). Meg is being praised for not being on the table but i'm not sure she gets it, and Cassie is totally bemused. Dougal hid in the garden while all the moving went on - far too much for an oldie :laugh:

Will now wait till tomorrow for the official Wiccs advice :laugh:

Wonder if they have advice too for the psycho Wiccs cat wot still poos on the bed when stress/stroppy/midly displeased and wot still herds Collies and teases dogs endlessly through dog gates :unsure: :rolleyes:

Oh and not to mention who taught the cat Wall of Death routine??!

That, in theory, is fine - if you have another room in which to put the dog. I don't :unsure:

I'll give the tinfoil a try - but I still think that her attempting to jump on the table is permitting her to do bad behaviour regardless of what she lands on - and quite honestly tin foil isn't going to stop her claws wrecking it as she panics on top of it!

Sarah - I'll call ya :laugh:

PS Stop sniggering. :D

I have my antique oak table, well it is older than me, covered in clutter, there isn't any room for a dog to get on it :laugh: Clutter isn't always bad, it can be good. :flowers:

You have really cheered me up this evening :rolleyes: