UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Mass Of Questions

Ciren

i am planning on in the near future (mortgage lenders allowing) on getting myself my first dog.

i have never have one and would appreciate listening to people talk about how they train dogs etc, how they go about getting to know there new dog and them you.

things like what is the difference between a slip collar and a choke chain? i think i know but i want to be sure so i can avoid them.

also i think i read somewhere someone mention a prong collar, i am getting images of tudor torture devices here please explain?

so please tell me stories about how you trained your first dog. what difficulties you over came.

when i do get a dog i will make sure i go through a rescue and find a dog training place locally to attend but i figure the more i know the better.

thank you in advance

Amy

Edited by Ciren

A slip lead is a rope where one end forms a loop that you put around the dogs neck. It chokes just like a choke chain and should not be used for training as such.

A prong collar has pikes that turn into the dogs neck, you will know when you see one, not to use it.

Make sure the training class you sign up for uses treats along with a positive attitude towards dogs and handlers alike :flowers:

In training my dogs, I have learnt how important it is to have ounces of patience. If you feel grumpy or impatient one day, don't do any training as your bad mood could affect your dog negatively (make them nervous or simply put them off working for you!). Instead go for a long walk, or just cuddle on the sofa :biggrin:

When you first get your new rescue dog, make sure you let the dog settle into your household before showeing them too much with your love. Your new dog will not know you, and will not know it has been "rescued", you are a stranger to him/her, and he might like to just hang around your house for a few days to observe your routine and life style, before being groomed, washed, cuddled or shown off to family and friends.

The more time you give a dog, the faster they will settle in and allow you to do all the things mentioned. Of course there are also dogs out there who just fit right in, without a care in the world :biggrin:

It is very important that you listen and take in the advise given about the dog, from the people at the rescue. They have cared for the dog over x amount of time and know them.

This is a prong collar, and yes they are legal :mad:

prong.jpg

I'd say the best bet for training your dog is to find a good class in your area - choose one that uses positive, reward-based training methods and avoid anywhere that suggests choke chains like the plague!

The APDT have a county-by-county list of trainers here:

http://www.apdt.co.uk/list_trainers.asp

Good luck finding your first dog - please let us know how the search goes!

Edited by Fee

The APDT have a county-by-county list of trainers here:

thanks i will have a look in a sec to see what is close to me.

can I also suggest that you pick a rescue who assesses the dogs in their care? So you know exactly what kind of behaviour to expect (at least to a certain extent). Will you be looking for a puppy or an adult?

i plan on going through the southern cavalier group who asses there dogs and place them with people who are suitable. Age wise i don't know. i hope whoever helps me get a dog will place one with me that is the best for someone who has never had a dog before.

i have been wondering should i buy a cage and bed for them before i start looking? or do rescues supply them? i had thought maybe asking for soemthing the dog has slept on, before i get them, so they have something that smells familiar.

I wouldn't worry too much abotu getting bedding and stuff just yet, though you will have to provide that yourself, but what you can be doing now is some reading. There are many excellent books, but one of the best introductions to positive training (which you seem very interested in - fab!) is Pamela Dennison's "Complete Idiot's Guide to Dog Training".

Its a great approach and covers lots of things from the basics upwards. It will also help you 'read' your dog's behaviour when you get it, and get the most out of training classes.

Also the idea of getting something the dog has slept on is great for puppies and dogs from home environments - you guys who know about dogs in kennels, does it work for them to? I should think a T-shirt in the dog's bed for a couple of nights would be good.

Good luck in your search - and good on you for doing so much thinking about it beforehand.

My friend left a piece of vetbed for her pup to sleep on before collecting him( and it).

She had no problems with him sleeping in his bed when he came home to her.

You could visit training classes beforehand to see what they do and, more important, if you like the classes.

its tempting.... i had a look at the list and found one on paper that sounds ideal.

Whereabouts are you, someone on here might know one they could personally recommend.

Any that you do find, go along first without dog to watch-a good club will have no onjection to that :flowers:

i did wonder about that. currently i am knee deep in organising buying a new house tho so i will visit after that.

this is all helping though so please keep talking. :biggrin: