UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bringing Up Baby Programme On Ch4

phoebejo

What this extreme method of child rearing doesn't seem to consider is the importance of language and communication. Babies start to be aware of sounds very early and often understand before they start speaking. It's automatic for mothers to communicate with babies from day one with eye and body contact as well as verbally. I bet no one has done any studies relating the Truby King and similar methods to speech and conversational development later on.

Yes, that would be interesting. In my own situation, our only saving grace was that my brother and I were breastfed, so my mother was obliged to hold us and look at us, albeit only every four hours.

My worry with any "system" of child-rearing is that people will suspend common sense and instinct in the pursuit of the system's aims. Why otherwise intelligent parents would allow themselves to be brainwashed by the likes of Claire Verity is beyond me - except that going out as a couple seemed to be the pinnacle of their post-natal ambitions. This pair weren't in the first flush of youth; why on earth did they have those babies anyway? :wacko:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What this extreme method of child rearing doesn't seem to consider is the importance of language and communication. Babies start to be aware of sounds very early and often understand before they start speaking. It's automatic for mothers to communicate with babies from day one with eye and body contact as well as verbally. I bet no one has done any studies relating the Truby King and similar methods to speech and conversational development later on.

Interestingly we're just about to start a new postnatal group for first time Mums and my alloted slot type talk is child development and the importance of play and talking etc to your baby from birth :biggrin: My slogan is 'your child's best toy is you'.Research is now showing that these newfangled high tech gadgets are actually delaying children's development not enhancing it.

I heard on the radio today that Claire Verity was very very upset (according to her spokesman) that she had been uninvited from speaking at the Baby Show in Earlscourt (I think next week or the week after). This was talk radio and someone called in and suggested she should be put in a room to cry by herself - sorry it did make me titter a little bit.

I heard on the radio today that Claire Verity was very very upset (according to her spokesman) that she had been uninvited from speaking at the Baby Show in Earlscourt (I think next week or the week after). This was talk radio and someone called in and suggested she should be put in a room to cry by herself - sorry it did make me titter a little bit.

I expect they gave her spot to Cruella de ville

Interestingly we're just about to start a new postnatal group for first time Mums and my alloted slot type talk is child development and the importance of play and talking etc to your baby from birth :biggrin: My slogan is 'your child's best toy is you'.Research is now showing that these newfangled high tech gadgets are actually delaying children's development not enhancing it.

I think some parents believe that there is a perfect toy out there - some device which will occupy the baby for hours on end, without adult intervention. Do let us know (if you can?) how your group gets on. :flowers:

One of my personal bugbears is modern prams which have the baby facing away from the parent. What's that about? How scary it must be to be pushed out into crowds of people, without being able to see if Mum (or whoever) is still with you. Old prams, with their spacious interiors, made a great haven for babies - and there was always a familiar face to be seen. It made it much easier to chat to your baby as you walked. :)

Georgia hates all of her toys :rolleyes: She enjoys reading books with me, but of all the toys she has nothing keeps her entertained for more than five seconds. Instead she likes jumping on me, climbing on me, helping me do things, singing, walking the dogs and her latest passion is for trees :wacko: She goes running towards them, arms out open ready to hug them shouting 'treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' :laugh: For christmas she would like a cook and a cleaner so she can have even more of me to herself :laugh:

I feel really sad for the parents and babies that are following the strict routine method.

The parents are taking part in an experiment and missing out on precious memories and bonding with their babies, a time they will never ever be able to reclaim.

The babies I feel are missing out on the love of their parents.

I do not know which catagory of parenting I fall into really. With Lydia I have tried to give her routine because I think it is good to have, in that she has a bedtime routine, a bath etc etc... However her routine has never ever been set in stone it has been open to change I certainly could not leave her to cry if she was hungry wanting a cuddle or needing something.

I feel that the methods that this woman is using really disturbing, babies cry because that is how they communicate their needs and if those cries are igonored then surely their needs are not being met?

I wished I could sleep in a bed with Lydia but I find it impossible, I could not relax for a second the few times I have tried it I was just too terrified that I would roll over on her etc etc and just layed awake which was no good as it left me exhausted.

I do not get my head around the idea that a baby should fit into your routine from day 1, why have a child if you are not prepared to adapt your life at all or to give up your time to that child? I think as a baby or child grows you can teach them boundries etc but I am just totally baffled by this womans methods in this day and age.

I dont disagree with her ideas though about baby sleeping outside getting fresh air. I do not sleep Lydia outside, 1 because I worry about her being alone out there, and secondly we havent got a garden anyway. I do however do my best to ensure I take her out every day for a long stroll around the park or just walking around.

Someone earlier mentioned about prams facing the parents, Lydias prams face both ways. I was adamant to have a pram that she could face me, I remember having a conversation with a nurse many years ago and she talked about how it was so good for babies language development and security to face the mother as it is a prime time when the mother chats to the baby about what is going on around them. It must have stuck with me, because I really felt strongly that she would have a pram that could face the parent once she was out of the carrycot stage.

I didn't see the program & don't yet have any children but I wouldn't let the first one through my door. Routines have a place - but not that rigid. I certainly wouldn't agree with leaving a baby outisde crying for hours, making no eye contact, refusing feeding because of the time etc - I would hope I'd never marry anyone capable of that sort of tretament but if my wife did do so I'd divorce her & takes the baby with me.

I had heard it suggested there were concerns about possibly inadvertently rolling on / suffocating babies & am a bit of a heavy sleeper so although I'm a bit sceptical I don't know until I have a child whether I would or wouldn't have them in my bed or not.

I was therefore inclined to most favour the Spock method when I read this.

I thought everybody knew & accepted that you had to talk to, cuddle & play with a baby :unsure: How else are they going to learn & develop?

I was allegedly an awkward baby :rolleyes: born breach at about 1.30am & apparently I'd cry when put to bed until my Dad came & got me. (He'd lost a son at 2 before me) Apparently I didn't so it when he was working & my mother in the end decided I should be left & I stopped doing it :D

Edited by Ian