UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cat Killer

raiye

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No and no. Cats and dogs do not always get on. Its that simple. Some breeds more prone to chasing/attacking a cat terriers for i.e Would you pts a cat because it ate a bird? Of course not. No difference. We can domestic animals all we like but you cannot domesticate nature.

They aren't humans.

Thank god!

I thought it was just me sitting here wondering when the heck we are going to stop thinking of dogs as people. Instinct is a very powerful thing even in people yet a creature who does not understand consequence of action so follows instinct is not normal...wierd chain of thought..!

The arguement on another site is a staffy should be PTS for killing a cat. In the process of trying to save her cat, the owner was bit.

Many are saying the dog should be PTS, and being a staff, will probably bite a person again :grrr:

And one is also saying that it should be PTS beause there are already too many staffs in rescue and it could take up the space of a decent family pet :grrr:

I take full responsibility for my dogs actions. i own them, ive trained them. In open spaces one of my greyhounds would chase anything small and running and consequently doesnt go off lead in those situations. Lee the other greyhound runs round in circles and gives anything at least 5 minutes notice he is coming and so i do let him off lead. If my dogs chase and catch and consequently kill something its my fault not theirs.

The arguement on another site is a staffy should be PTS for killing a cat. In the process of trying to save her cat, the owner was bit.

Many are saying the dog should be PTS, and being a staff, will probably bite a person again :grrr:

And one is also saying that it should be PTS beause there are already too many staffs in rescue and it could take up the space of a decent family pet :grrr:

ahhhh! Im there too, thought it was about that one...i know who you are lol

As everyone has said it is pure instinct. Dog can't help it. It's not vicious and the owner got in the way. It's natural reaction to get in the way of something in the middle of a fight or something like this. But do it and you are asking to be bitten. I've been bitten by one of my own dogs before today quite badly for stepping in to break up a handbags moment. Doesn't matter what kind of dog it is. If it doesn't like cats it doesn't like them. Some of mine hate cats and I know if they were offlead if a cat couldn't get away it would be in trouble. As the human able to see something coming and thinking a way out of a circumstance I take charge and put mine on a lead if I see a cat while we're out.

Nope dog has done nothing wrong. Feel so sorry for the cat and it's owner. It's one of those things that unfortunately happen. Just the same as cats coming into my garden and killing wild birds I have sat and watched for a good while. It's terrible but it's nature and nature can be cruel.

it could take up the space of a decent family pet :grrr:

Like a Labrador perhaps :rolleyes: I have one here that would do a lot of harm to a cat given a chance, but he doesn't get a chance and if I got caught in the crossfire of that happening it would only be myself to blame and why would he be deemed any different to any other dog because of his breed :rolleyes: Instinct is there no matter what breed.

Its expected for some breeds to chase more than others eg sighthounds/lurchers.

Does that give them reasonable excuse should they do it? Because its expected?

Lots of breeds like to chase small furries, the difference with sighthounds is that they are more likely than most to catch whatever is being chased :(

I try hard not to put my hounds in a position to chase ie: I avoid known places where there are a lot of rabbits.

3 weeks ago I stupidly put my hand in when my dogs were fighting and got my finger badly bitten and that was my own fault. ( neither of the dogs got any injuries :rolleyes: )

I don't blame the dog that did it, it was wholly my stupidity.