UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogs Got Hurt.

Rachelpirate

I feel awful. :mecry: We were walking the dogs just now and just as we were at a bend, round the corner came a girl on a horse with a merle Collie walking in front of her. It was very quick but I think Connie either snarled at it or it snarled at her (I'm supposing Connie, though I don't know how this dog usually behaves) and they started fighting. Connie wears a muzzle but it sort of went for Ria in the scuffle, I'm not surprised as it was obviously scared, but Ria then started going back at it. So it was two on one, Wilbur was just running around barking (he doesn't like violence) I ran straight in which I know you're not supposed to do but the girl wasn't getting off her horse understandably and I wasn't just going to watch. I shouted "Ria!" and she stopped and came back, so did Wilbur but I had to grab Connie. The girl's dog ran off and she rode after him. It was mostly noise and snapping, I went straight round to their house to apologise and check if she and the dog were ok - apparently he has a few cuts on the inside of his mouth but is otherwise ok. Ria has about 3 punctures and a scratch on her muzzle and a large puncture wound on her front leg. Connie has nothing as obviously it was mostly snapping round the face and the muzzle protected her. But I bet the dog is really stressed and the girl was distraught ( I was too, I'm still shaking) and I just feel so bad about it all because I think it was our fault. We offered to pay if he needs any treatment. They didn't seem very angry surprisingly but the other thing that worries me is that they thought Wilbur was attacking their dog which he definately was not. Also they said that they'd always thought Ria looked very dangerous when they'd seen her as they walked past, I did explain that she never usually fights (this is the first time she's reacted to another dog) and is friendly with people and all other dogs she's met but I don't think they beleived us. Which is understandable when you've just seen your dog fighting with her, though their dog did start on Ria it was probably Connie that set the whole thing off so it's our fault. I'm worried they could report us again understandably though it wasn't completely one sided their dog was definately at a disadvantage. You can tell me off if you want, I know I deserve it. :( :( :( I've asked them to ring when they know for sure he doesn't have any serious wounds.

Edited by Rachelpirate

Because it all happens so fast and you're shocked by it all, it can seem worse than it really is. You can't blame yourself for this. All dogs were off lead, OK one of yours may have snarled or sanpped, but her dog reacted too. You didn't mention whether she tried to call her dog off Ria. At least you managed to call Ria off and collect the other 2 up. Just so your clear about what happened in your own mind, write it down. You've offered to pay for treatment if their dog needs it, so I don't think you can do anything else. Make sure your lot are OK (I'd be thinking about taking Ria to the vets to get the puncture wounds cleaned up properly and get her a course of antibiotics (dog bites can go nasty if left) and make sure you're OK too. Its not nice to witness and its bound to have left you shaky :GroupHug:

Hope you are now feeling a bit better :GroupHug:

These things happen. You have done your best to sort things out and I think the other owner will appreciate this when she's also calmed down.

Don't worry about anything until you actually have something to worry about. At the moment I don't believe you have :flowers:

Marion

Thanks, I've calmed down a bit now. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It probably wasn't as bad as it seemed, I just haven't seen Ria behave like that before.

You didn't mention whether she tried to call her dog off Ria.

Well, she was still on her horse so didn't really have control over him, she was shouting his name but he wasn't really in a position to stop fighting as Connie was still going for him, luckily she had her muzzle on so no harm done by her. The more I think about it now it was a two-way thing rather than just my dogs, still I hope he isn't too affected by it and I suppose I feel more responsible as I had more dogs and Ria at least is so much bigger and stronger than him. I'm also kicking myself that it happened because we already had people refusing to let Ria play with their dogs because of her breed, now they at least will think she's another agressive Ridgeback/Staff type. :unsure: The vets is closed now but we'll take her in for a checkup - she's ok for now since I'm used to cleaning up wounds from working in kennels.

Thanks everyone :GroupHug:

:GroupHug: for you. If she was on her horse then she had no control over her dog whatsoever so even if your dog did start it there is fault on both sides so I wouldn't worry too much. I can't really see that you are responsible for her dogs vet fees if her dog was fighting back! Had your dogs attacked a passive dog and injured it then you would be responsible but this seems 50/50 to me! x

I was going to say that she had no control over her dog at all so she is partially to blame. These things happen i dont think you could have done any thing different to prevent it and prehaps if she hadnt been on her horse then she could have got to her dog quicker as well. Hope ria is ok :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

:flowers: Thanks. I just found a little cut in Wilbur's ear, probably from them flopping all over the place as usual. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The thing that interested me was that when we went over to apologise and were talking about what happened, the only dogs they mentioned going for their dog etc were Ria and Wilbur. Connie never seems to be blamed for anything, despite the fact that she's the only agressive one of the three... I think she does get away with more for being blonde and fluffy!

I agree with Cher (ranirottie) that if she was on her horse, then her dog wasn't totally under control anyway so I don't think she's in any position to argue with you!

I ride and I walk dogs but I don't do both together purely because it's not very safe :rolleyes:

I hope all your dogs are feeling a bit less stressed now; personally I think you are totally responsible by the way you behaved in going round to check on her dog, regardless of who's fault it was. :GroupHug: