UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Greyhound Pedigrees

Fee

I'm afraid I only get excited about immediate family nowadays.

I get depressed looking at those figures. It's taken us 5 years or hard graft and heartache to rehome 250 dogs. Meantime dogs like Tom's The Best (5148) and Spiral Nikita (6232) have sired over 11,000 dogs in a similar time. It's an indication of how bloody futile our work really is :(

Know what you mean. I used to find it really exciting whenever I found a dog that was related in anyway, until I realised that almost every greyhound was related to one mine in some way for sad reasons that you have already explained.

I still keep a look out for littermates because I'd like to know if they survived or not.

I'm afraid I only get excited about immediate family nowadays. I don't know how the hell you work it out, but if you look at the number of dogs these prolific stud dogs have sired (I've seen a couple at the 5000 mark) then see how many of their offspring have sired, then the chances of your greyhound being related to any random greyhound is probably about 50%

I get depressed looking at those figures. It's taken us 5 years or hard graft and heartache to rehome 250 dogs. Meantime dogs like Tom's The Best (5148) and Spiral Nikita (6232) have sired over 11,000 dogs in a similar time. It's an indication of how bloody futile our work really is :(

Dont you dare say how futile your work is Claire! What do you keep telling me? You have to look at the smaller picture and see that you have helped to rehome 250 dogs that wouldn't otherwise have had a chance. That can't be futile (although I do know exactly what you're saying regarding numbers :unsure: )

:GroupHug: Claire, it isn't futile to the 250 Greyhounds you have saved nor their families, that is 250 Greyhounds that are now in loving homes because of you.

Merlin has both Sand Man and I's Slippy in his pedigree. I would love to know were his brothers and sisters are. I put a picture on his pedigree of Merlin playing with Gracie, it shows that not all Greyhounds try to kill small dogs. :flowers:

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=Feeling+...&birthland=

It always disturbs me how few dogs actually do come up as related at all in these threads. Mollydog's dad Mustang Jack sired 4662 other pups, and I've only ever come across one of them. Usually if there is a relative it's way back at the Linda's Champion/ greatgrandparent level. Which is fun, but you can't help wondering what happened to all the more closely related ones.

:GroupHug: ClazUK, you have saved 250 more than most people, and that counts!

Edited by cycas

Sidney [Vanbill Tiger]

Sire-Coalbrook Tiger, paternal grandparents-Skelligs Tiger, Summer Flower. Gt Granparents-Bold Work, Lemon Soda, Lindas Champion and Summer Vixon.

Dam-Vanbill Cheer, maternal grandparents-Manorville Sand, Another Cheer. Gt grandparents -Sandman, Westmead City, I'm Slippy and Tinnock Style.

Cisco [Peaceful Indian]

Sire-Curryhills Gara, paternal grandparents-Lindas Champion, Moygara Soda. Gt Grandparents-Monalee Champion, Merry Linda, Sand Man, Lemon Soda.

Dam-Gale Gal. Maternal grandparents-Greenpark Fox, Nice One Zoe. Gt Grandparents-Citizen Supreme, Stern Satoo, I'm Slippy, Hurry On Dahlia.

Dennis [Wonderful Tonight]

Sire-Daleys Dennis, paternal grandparents, Daleys Gold, Lisnakill Flyer. Gt grandparents-Lindas Champion, Ballinderry Moth, Haymaker Man, Nans Flyer.

Dam-Ringa Roses. Maternal grandparents, Flashy Sir, Daisys Queen. Gt grandparents-Sand Man, Cherry Express, Orran Jack, Duffers Daisy.

boggy and sidney have the same grand-dad

So does Mollydog!

I don't understand how they choose stud dogs. None of the ones with 1000s of offspring seem to have had any successful races, so how do they choose them?

Well so far I've found a half sister for Ellie (Mollydog) and a half sister and half brother for Barley on various forums. I've looked at Barley's litter mates and see that one is apparently alive and well somewhere but I've got no idea how to take it further. It would be lovely to meet her :wub:

I think Molly and Flyn are cousins.

I can't work out how to copy his pedigree onto here but if you look him up - ear mark QT-QBA (Harlem) he was sired by Lyons Monk who was the brother of Molly's sire - so doesn't that make them cousins? :unsure:

Anyway - Molly's beautiful! :wub:

Here's a pic of Flyn (he was 13 on 7th Jan this year)

MumIwantasweetie.jpg

:biggrin: Yay, I think Flyn is the closest relative we've found yet. As well as their fathers being littermates there are quite a few connections on the dams' sides too.

Molly is very proud to have such a handsome cousin :wub: :wub:

Well we have actually been tracked down by a close relative :biggrin: Rory has a half brother and is one of only 30 pups sired by the same dog, which makes a pleasant change. They have the same pointy ears, white paws, white blaze on chest and funny posable schnozz :laugh: He only lives about half an hour away.