UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Did You Get Into Adopting Oldies?

JoT

I think that people who adopt older dogs are very special folks. :flowers:

I'm just wondering what got us all started down the Adopt an Oldie path... and would love to hear others' stories.

My story is that after growing up with various dogs, and then taking one of the family dogs (Fluff!) with me when I moved into my own house, about 16 years ago I saw an advert for a local rescue's dogs in the local paper. Each dog had a small photo and a brief description. The one that caught my eye was a dog named Old-Bob. He was a black and tan mongrel with a happy looking face and his description began "9 year old Bob is our oldest, longest resident. He has a temperament second to none... "

So, we went along to meet Bob. He was obviously older than 9 and was an odd-shaped dog in the flesh, but I felt sorry for him and decided he was going to be mine; the first dog that was really mine, if you see what I mean - I'd chosen him and it was my decision.

Once we got him home, we realised that poor old Bob had issues. The back of his neck was covered in scars and in the early days he tried to attack myself, Paul and Fluff a few times. However, with persistence, we managed to turn this around and Bob was fine around the home (other than scavenging in the bin when we weren't looking!). We could never let him off lead on walks though and he was so aggressive towards dogs that he had to wear a muzzle when out - we couldn't risk one running up to him and being attacked!

So Bob was my first adopted oldie and he was certainly a character. He was such an affectionate boy and followed me everywhere, but he was also very hard work. He didn't put me off adopting oldies though and I'm now on my third adopted oldie boy. All three of them would probably be considered undesirable or having too many problems to be considered by most people, but to me they were/are all so special.

So what's your story? :biggrin:

Edited by JoT

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My decision to adopt an oldie, was purely based on being a first time dog owner. I didnt think I would be able to cope with a puppy, and I suppose in a way I wanted to know what I was getting. Had grown up all my life with dogs, but couldnt have one of my own as an adult due to work commitments. So I had to wait til I was nearly 40 when the time was right! Then I had a very long wait again, until Tilly found us. She is the perfect dog in every sense, demands nothing, but gives so much back, and I love her to pieces. I for one highly recommend adopting an oldie, but having never had any other dog, I wouldnt know the pros and cons of a pup or a younger dog, but the oldies do hold a very special place in my heart, Im always drawn to them.

My only adopted oldie was Flo springer from Ireland, she had such a brave battle as she arrived in rescue a very very poorly dog, I kept updated with her story and just knew she would fit in here but it was touch and go wether she would survive let alone make the journey over here so I kept in touch with Chris, helped with fundraising for her veterinary costs and when she came through the other side Chris said 'So are you having this girl, am I organising her transport over' and it just felt right, she fitted in as if she had been here all her life, sadly she got Cancer a short four months later and we lost her but I was addicted to the Old Springers and now do all I can to help them wether it be fostering, finding them foster homes or in any other way I can.

Let's face oldies are so easy to look after compared to the poopies :wink2:

I had to wait from 1983 to 2003 before I was in a position to adopt a dog.

Our main requirement was that the dog had to be cat friendly and a total reject in other words a dog nobody else wanted. I knew that greyhounds and older dogs (especially large breeds) had a hard time finding new homes. GSD and Rotties are my favourite breeds.

We used to visit our local RSPCA branch in the hope of finding the ideal dog and one day I saw a GSD x in one of the outside kennels but he was not up for re-homing. The following visit we couldn’t see him so we asked the staff if he was still at the centre and all their faces lit up like a Christmas tree when we enquired about him. They asked us if we wanted to see him and we said yes. I fell in love with Clint the minute he walked towards me and we decided to adopt him. The staff at the centre were over the moon.

When Clint came home he was a broken spirit, we could see a lifetime of abuse in eyes but even after all he had been through he was a gentle giant who loved everything and everyone. In 3 months he only barked twice and not matter what he did he was waiting for us to hit him (at times I wish I could get hold of his previous owners and give them the same treatment they gave him). We then adopted Nell and Clint started to change as he saw that no matter how naughty Nell was nothing bad happened to her. His true personality started to come through, he always had a cheeky grin on his face and for the first time in his life he understood that he had people who loved him unconditionally.

In the end Clint was with us for 13 months but the love he gave us will last us a lifetime. Clint became my everything and I always miss him but I never regretted adopting him. In the end he had to be put to sleep as he was in constant pain and nothing else worked. I was with him on his last journey to the bridge and I promised him that there always be a place in our home for an unwanted oldie.

Six months after Clint went to the bridge we fostered another oldie, nobody wanted him because of his age (9) and looks. We were doom to fail as soon as we took Scruff home, 2 years later he is still going strong a bit :wacko: but we with wouldn’t be without him :wub:

I have only adopted one oldie so far - Sweetie :wub: :wub:

I think what got me thinking about taking on an oldie was going with a friend when she adopted an oldie JRT from a rescue a very good friend of mine worked at. I didn't immediately go looking for an oldie of our own, but it was in the back of my mind as something I would definitely do at some point.

One day, about 3.5 years ago now, I decided to start looking seriously. I saw/heard of a couple of possiblities, which didn't come to anything and then one day saw a thread on a forum and knew before I even opened it that I had found "our" girl :wub: :wub: We adopted Sweetie a few days later and she fitted straight in. She was looking for somewhere for her last few days/weeks/months and we just wanted to give her a safe and comfy place for the rest of her days - and she surprised us all for carrying on for over three years, until we had to let her go to the Bridge in January.

We will definitely have an oldie again one day. It was a wonderful experience and I'm so glad we were able to give her what she needed until the end of her life. Having Sweetie and knowing how great it is to adopt an oldie, was a big part of me wanting to get involved with the OC and there are so many different "types" of oldie in rescue needing homes. Oldies of different ages, with different needs, energy levels etc., surely an oldie for almost everyone :wub:

I have already told the story of how I adopted my first oldie - Cole, a gorgeous black greyhound - on our site: http://www.oldies.org.uk/?p=199 We hadn't set out to adopt an oldie, but he had been in kennels so long we just couldn't leave him there. I loved that dog so much, he was a very special boy :wub:

Our next oldie, Callie from Lizzies Barn, came along because Molly was getting on a bit and wasn't able to walk as far and as fast as Taz and Meg, so I was walking her separately. It left me with a spare hand, so to speak, so getting another older dog to keep her company was ideal.

I'd just made the decision to look for an older dog and was actively searching for an oldie who would fit in with my lot when the original idea for the Oldies Club was floated, which is why I thought it was such a good idea and offered to help out with a couple of posters..... little did I know what I was letting myself in for! :D :ohmy: Callie was an absolute sweetheart who was with us just under two years, we lost her to a stroke at the end of last year :mecry:

Musky came here as a short-term foster, as his 'real' foster mum had family commitments over the Christmas period. Somehow the great big soft cuddly lump never left - no idea how that happened :whistle:

Thanks for the replies guys. These stories make me feel all warm inside and a bit :mecry:

It seems weird to me that it's the ones that I've adopted as oldies and therefore had the shortest time with that I remember best. You seem to have a stronger bond because your time with them feels more precious. Although it isn't necessarily as you never know how long you are going to be with any dog, I suppose. :(

I have already told the story of how I adopted my first oldie - Cole, a gorgeous black greyhound - on our site: http://www.oldies.org.uk/?p=199 We hadn't set out to adopt an oldie, but he had been in kennels so long we just couldn't leave him there. I loved that dog so much, he was a very special boy :wub:

I have just read his story for the first time and now I seem to have something in my eye :mecry: :wub:

My oldie, Whuppety Jake, is about 10 now. He's our first dog and we've had him for two years but it feels like we've never 'not' had him, he's so easy to have around and gives so much. I love the bones of him :wub:

I wasn't actually looking for a dog in September 1999 however my friend had lost her dog and we were trawling the pounds and police stations etc in search of her dog when I came across this little scared, scarred and ill little staffy boy. I asked what is story was and the kennel maid told us he is a stray and unless he gets claimed by the end of the day, it would be a trip to the vets the next morning. :mecry: :mecry: Needless to say, he never made the trip, well he did but to my vet for a check up and a fresh start in his life. Snatch was around 6-8 yrs old the vet thought so we said he is around 7 years of age and hopefully in September 2007 he will be celebrating his 8th gotcha day with us and his 15th birthday :wub: :wub:

Tango was another poundie that was pulled by the Oldies Club and another welsh rescue on her last day and was being fostered in Chepstow. The day Tango arrived I went to visit her and I knew instantly that this little scared, ill and 15ish yr old staffy girl had to come and live with us and so she did a few weeks later. Sadly we lost her in June 2006 after 7 months, but boy did she change our lives during that time :laugh: :wub:

I didn't want to look for another one imidiately but Snatch was pining and so I was keeping 'my eyes open' when the EASBTC told me about Ruby. 11+ years old and yes you guessed it, was a poundie too. A lady adopted her straight from the pound but having had already 10 other dogs, Ruby had to go. No one prepared me for the barrol on legs when toddsmum and I drove a 8.5 hrs round trip a few days later to pick her up. She is a carachter and has us and anyone who meets her in stitches on a daily basis :wub:

I LOVE OLDIES

Cindy

I fostered lots of dogs for our centre prior to adopting one of my own. Through my experiences of fostering, I decided that an oldie would suit me best as my dog would have to come to work wioth me and not get too bored sitting in an office most of the day.

I also really fell for all the oldies I fostered, they have something special about them, a dignity and a laid back demeanor that really appeals to me.

I don't think I would ever have a young dog of my own, I can quite easily see me having nothing but a succession of oldies in the future.

OLDIES ARE THE BEST!

Edited to add, Hugo was 14 when I adopted him (he is 16 now)

This is him on a walk a few months ago, with two of his best pals and the wind in his ears!

Copy%2001%20party%20walk.jpg

Edited by Sue B

Our very first adopted oldie was Ice, whilst looking on the Oldies Club web site I came across an appealing little face and fell in love lol! Icy, her name before we slightly altered it was a scrap of a poodle aged 13, she was silver grey in colour and had a smile that could melt even the hardest of hearts. She was in Gemini Rescue in North Wales and had been on profile with the OC for some time, needless to say I made enquiries and the rest as they say is happy history .......

Arriving at Felixstowe in September 2005 Ice settled down really well and was a loving and affectionate little lass who chattered a lot and got on well with the other dogs we have. Having been told she was speyed we were surprised when 2 weeks later she came into season ........ this surprised us and confused our intact 10 month old Bichon X Marley who was inline for the snip in October, he had to be despatched to my sister's house for a holiday lol! Ice had the operation after her season finished, dental work was also carried out, leaving her with an even greater smile. Marley returned home non the wiser and life returned to normal.

At this stage I joined the OC and offered our services as fosters (previously we fostered for the Blue Cross locally) and after the usual checks etc we were accepted. On Christmas Eve 2005 Seb entered our lives as our first Oc foster he had really been in the wars, many people had been involved in his rescue and had lovingly helped him on his way to us, thank you folks .......

Seb was an immediate hit with all the family both 2 and 4 legged, it seemed that all the hard and uncaring things the poor lad had been through had made little impression on his ability to love humankind, he gradually came out of his shell and in doing so charmed everyone he met. Within the week Julie and I faltered and became failed fosters, there was no way we were going to part with such an adorable character as 'our boy' Seb.

Seb and I decided to promote the work of the OC and together featured in local newspaper articles, we were on radio too as we ran an appeal for knitting machines, wool, knitters and for volunteers to join the OC, the results were excellent! Seb was in his element and took all in his stride, dressed in his lovely green wooly coat and yellow bandana he was fussed by all as we went on our local walks, people were drawn to him like magnets. Regretably the happiness was cut short when Seb went suddenly and unexpectedly to the bridge in March 2006, during his short time with us he built a lifetime of happy memories for us to treasure, I grieve his loss but would not change a thing!

Sadly little Ice passed in December 2006, another sad and unexpected loss for all at the MuttHutt.

Currently we are fostering mother and son Ronnie and Jack, 14 and 12 year old Bichons (check them out on the OC site) .... who knows we might yet fail again lol!

There are so many needy dogs out there, we all do what we can, so on behalf of the Seb's and little Ice's I say a big thank you to all adopters out there. :) :)

Keep up your very excellent work, Life is full of ups and downs, who knows what tomorrow may bring?