UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Did You Get Into Adopting Oldies?

JoT

Its bizarre - I can't really remember deliberately choosing to take in an oldie.

But I hate it when we do not have an oldie with us - the house doesn't feel right.

Paul & I have a different outlook on what counts as an oldie too I guess.

We were only saying the other week we didn't really have an oldie with us anymore and it felt strange.

The oldest with us being 14/15ish - we don't see that as an oldie.

Now Kym has joined us, aged 22 - and we feel complete again - we have an oldie in the house... Wiccs folks are weird! ;)

Of course, my soulmate was my GB and I miss him terribly. I still cry and pine for him on a daily basis - silly sod that I am.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its bizarre - I can't really remember deliberately choosing to take in an oldie.

But I hate it when we do not have an oldie with us - the house doesn't feel right.

Paul & I have a different outlook on what counts as an oldie too I guess.

We were only saying the other week we didn't really have an oldie with us anymore and it felt strange.

The oldest with us being 14/15ish - we don't see that as an oldie.

Now Kym has joined us, aged 22 - and we feel complete again - we have an oldie in the house... Wiccs folks are weird! ;)

Of course, my soulmate was my GB and I miss him terribly. I still cry and pine for him on a daily basis - silly sod that I am.

You are not silly at all, I remember reading Bryn's story in one of the dog mags and realise what a special boy he was.

By the way, how is it so many Collies reach such a great age? The only dogs I know of over 20 have all been Collies.

Edited by Sue B

I lost my Mum in Jan 04, I'd always took Cleo out and tended to her (elderly Chi). After losing Mum I took Cleo in obviously, she passed on the 29 June 05 aged about 16. :mecry: Having no children of my own I felt I'd lost the two most important things in my life and became quite ill afterwards. Even though we had Ruby and Rosie (and they are important in my life :wub: but they have dad too) the house seemed empty.

Eventually after losing too much weight I pulled myself together and started looking round the rescue forums (already a member of several dog forums). I looked at Irish Setter Rescue several times but as they don't rehome bitches with bitches I couldn't go there. I've always had bitches and never had any problems. I really wanted another Oldie as I loved having Cleo and missed it taking me a hour to walk her when it should of been ten minutes (sniff, sniff, sniff), and her grumpy ways. :)

I finally ended up on the Oldies site and saw Sham, love at first sight so to speak. We visited her at her foster home and introduced her to the girls (no probs there). We collected her the week after and it's been 15 months of joy, we love her so much. :wub: She has so many funny quirks and makes us laugh all the time and considering her age she has got plenty of spring left in her. She loves her holidays and it's like she's been here forever. So, it's thanks to Cleo that I ended up with a Oldie (Although I have 3 now the girls have just turned 8, don't think of any of them as old though) :)

My little Cle :flowers:

Cleo32005.jpg

And, who could resist this face :biggrin:

DSCF0745.jpg

So thank you Oldies Club for bringing such a special girl into our lives. :GroupHug:

Guest Sherbert

We hadn't intended on getting a third dog but I kept seeing Sandy on the Dogs Trust website, he was described as a 13 year old Whippetx who'd been with the same owner all his life but the owner had become ill and gone into a nursing home. We went to visit Sandy just to see him and take him some treats. We spoke to a member of staff would had known Sandy and his owner very well and she explained that he had been in kennels for 4 months and during that time nobody had even asked about him :crying_anim: and he wasn't coping very well and that he will be 16 in July. Next thing we knew he was coming home with us.

He has settled in with us really well and he is an absolute angel apart from his SA and he'll bark constantly when left, but this is understandable when you realise that him and his previous owner went every where together and the first time he was left, his owner never came back. Gypsy our 3year old Lurcher is teaching Sandy to chase squirrels and he's just started agility :biggrin: only joking, but he does come to classes with us and likes to go through the tunnel although often he won't come back out as there's usually food in there :biggrin:

493745456_4f4dd25b05.jpg

I had two young dogs already when I spotted Taff the Oldie Staffy Gentleman from Lizzies Barn on DP. Those days I was not a regular poster, in fact I think I posted twice in about six months and visited the forum about four times! So it was good fortune indeed when I came across his thread. I wasn't looking for another dog or for that matter an oldie but when I saw him I just knew he had to come and live with me. It really was love at first sight.

My gut instinct about this wonderful boy proved to be right. He was the most gorgeous, gentle, huggable little doggie. He loved us all and us, we absolutely doted on him.

It was a very, very sad day when he passed away. He had not long been with us. I felt terribly robbed at the time and found it hard to come to terms with, as you do. I wanted him to go on and on forever :wub: .

Taff with Aggie

2sofa.jpg

After Taff passed away, I felt this huge hole in my heart and a yearning for another oldie. I think when you have the first oldie, that's it you're hooked for life and you can never not have one in your family.

Cassie (aka Ms Piggy), was an oldies club foster but I already knew from the outset that she was going no where but here! So it was a bit of a sham calling myself her Foster Mum :blush:

She is of course still very much with us, and like Staffymad's Ruby, very much a character :laugh: . Not a day goes by without her having us in tucks :biggrin: . She is an enormous cuddle monster and makes the most fab piggy noises when she's in your arms :wub: .

Cassie

casshead2.jpg

Edited by tegk68

It seems weird to me that it's the ones that I've adopted as oldies and therefore had the shortest time with that I remember best. You seem to have a stronger bond because your time with them feels more precious. Although it isn't necessarily as you never know how long you are going to be with any dog, I suppose. :(

I whole heartedly agree with that :flowers:

OLDIES ARE THE BEST!

They certainly are :biggrin:

Such wonderful, wonderful stories on here :flowers:

Guest madeinwood

I'd started fostering lurchers for EGLR, when I got a call. They had a really old dog called Granny who they had just taken into the rescue and she was in a dreadful state - it took hours and hours for them to cut her coat, after which they realised that she had a large tumour on her front leg. She was deeply fatigued and spent her days sleeping, occasionally walking painfully from her bed to the yard and back. The vet wanted to call it a day, but EGLR don't PTS if they can possibly avoid it.

So, I was asked, would I take this scruffy, grey, elderly lady for probably just a month or two - so she could spend her last days in comfort.

I knew just the corner where she would fit. I always seem to have an extra corner somewhere.

Granny became Oregon (I have an American States theme for my dogs) and she grew strong enough to have the tumour removed and to be spayed. She started to enjoy her walks - although it was always difficult to tell as she had the copyright on hangdog expressions. Eventually she would run as far as - o-o-oh - a whole 50 yards! And she'd grin - until she spotted me looking, then the hangdog expression would come back.

Oregon was with me for three and a half years until finally the tumour returned and metastasised and she went ahead to Rainbow Bridge.

I miss her.

But now I only take in older dogs - just the change of home and treatment can improve their health and wellbeing. And it is so rewarding.

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories, they are so heartwarming. I'm really enjoying reading them. :flowers:

Maybe we could look to take some of them and put them on the OC website. When we get time. :rolleyes: :wacko: :unsure:

We decided to adopt oldies because nobody really wants them. Our first one was Monty he was about 13 years old, than along came Milly 10 years, and than Benji 10 years. Our only worry is in the next few years we could lose 3 of our dogs, and we could lose them one after another. :mecry: :mecry: But, our consolation is they all have had a wonderful loving home :) :)

We decided to adopt oldies because nobody really wants them. Our first one was Monty he was about 13 years old, than along came Milly 10 years, and than Benji 10 years. Our only worry is in the next few years we could lose 3 of our dogs, and we could lose them one after another. :mecry: :mecry: But, our consolation is they all have had a wonderful loving home :) :)

:flowers: :GroupHug: